Supra Forums banner

The Mk2: L-type and p-type and year differences

73K views 95 replies 39 participants last post by  klausgb 
#1 ·
Just to help clarify the whole P-type and L-type for everybody. Just to let you all know I'm new to this forum! I have had my mk2 for a year now. I have been researching it forever. So here goes all the quick info on it(mk2):

L-type:
82-84 the L-type came with 14x5.5 rims that were used on the regular celicas. They did NOT have the fender flares. They also do not have the 8-way adjustable sport seats. They were available in either 5 speed or 4-speed auto. Digital Dash with a Trip computer were optional only on the L-type. Did not have Limited Slip

P-type:
Has always had the sport seats, 14x7 rims, flares and headlight washers(option, but was not available on the L-type).This was also available witha 4-speed auto or a 5-speed manual. The wing was also only available on the p-type. Did have limited Slip

Year differences:

82:
first year of sale. The had the original steering wheel and the always had a black hatch and bumper regardless of color. Speedometer went up to 85 mph. The p-type could not have leather. They came out with 3.73 gears. Also it debuted with 145 horsepower. Also in 1982 models there was no power antenna instead a glass antenna was used.

83: No changes accept for the addition of TCCS, and the p-type could now have leather, and the addition of the power antenna.

84: In 1984 it gets tricky, all automatic and L-type supras came rated with a 150 h.p. and all 5-speed p-types had 160 h.p. Now this was the first year where the front turn signals were wrapped around. It also got a new steering wheel, cruise control was moved to a stalk on the steering column, and a more aggressive front air dam was installed. Now the gear ratios changed as well. 5-speeds got 4.30 gears while automatics recieved 4.10 gears. Also the mk2 recieved a hatch sticker that went all the way acroos it that said "SUPRA"

85: All mk2's now had 161 h.p., they also recieved a new spoiler that went the length of the hatch. The l-types, also got new rims they looked exactly like p-type rims, but were in a 15x6 version and were silver clear coat painted. Not many know this, but 85s had heated mirrors which are activated with the rear defroster.

86: The last year, the only change was a CHMSL on the spoiler to conform to federal regulations.

Keep in mind there were color changes through thius time.

hope that helps.

joe

See less See more
#84 ·
7mgte drops right in, and the engine harness is easy to install on a MK2. You'll have to do some pounding of the firewall to get the r154 trans in though

#88 ·
Thanks for all the info because I have an MKII which was given to me by my late father. Great condition just having some
trouble with the igniter. This site is a treasure for those of us who are in need of an education, one example is I had no idea of the heated mirrors.
Propwash

#91 · (Edited)
Just a couple of comments. I have an original 1984 sales brochure:

- The "L" Type came only with the auto gearbox. The 5-speed manual was not an option. The auto was optional on the "P" Type.

- Perhaps some confusion about seats. The "L" came standard with two-way adjustable velour seats. The only option was leather trim, still only two-way adjustable. Sport seats were not available on the "L".

- Cloth 8-way adjustable sport seats were standard on the "P". Options were the two-way adjustable velour seats, or 8-way adjustable sport seats trimmed in leather.

So some may be confusing the velour with cloth. They were not the same thing. Apparently the cloth on the sport seats offered more resistance to sliding around than the velour, when engaging in spirited driving.

- The sunshade (yes the brochure refers to it as a sunshade, not a spoiler), was not available on the "L". It was standard, not optional, on the "P". However, if one ticked the box for leather seat trim on the "P", the sunshade was deleted. Don't ask me the logic behind this, but that is what the brochure says. Seems to me that the sun will hit any rear seat occupants equally well whether they are sitting on cloth or leather, "P" type or "L" type, but maybe you have to be Japanese to understand the logic behind this.

- Production for the MK II model began in 1981, but they were '82 model year cars. Remember, they have to have the new model year cars ready in time to put in the showrooms in September of the previous year.

My question: When was the "L" discontinued? I know that all '86 models were "P" types, but was the "L" still available in '85?

Bob

#93 ·
Just a couple of comments. I have an original 1984 sales brochure:

- The "L" Type came only with the auto gearbox. The 5-speed manual was not an option. The auto was optional on the "P" Type.

- Perhaps some confusion about seats. The "L" came standard with two-way adjustable velour seats. The only option was leather trim, still only two-way adjustable. Sport seats were not available on the "L".

- Cloth 8-way adjustable sport seats were standard on the "P". Options were the two-way adjustable velour seats, or 8-way adjustable sport seats trimmed in leather.

So some may be confusing the velour with cloth. They were not the same thing. Apparently the cloth on the sport seats offered more resistance to sliding around than the velour, when engaging in spirited driving.

- The sunshade (yes the brochure refers to it as a sunshade, not a spoiler), was not available on the "L". It was standard, not optional, on the "P". However, if one ticked the box for leather seat trim on the "P", the sunshade was deleted. Don't ask me the logic behind this, but that is what the brochure says. Seems to me that the sun will hit any rear seat occupants equally well whether they are sitting on cloth or leather, "P" type or "L" type, but maybe you have to be Japanese to understand the logic behind this.

- Production for the MK II model began in 1981, but they were '82 model year cars. Remember, they have to have the new model year cars ready in time to put in the showrooms in September of the previous year.

My question: When was the "L" discontinued? I know that all '86 models were "P" types, but was the "L" still available in '85?

Bob
Bought my '82, in Oct 81. A 5sp unit.

#94 ·
Very interesting! I expect you have a very rare car.

Here is a copy of the '84 sales brochure:
Font Rectangle Parallel Screenshot Document

Opposite 5-speed, the L indicates Not Available. The P comes standard with the 5-speed, but the auto is optional.

This shows the info about the seats. Leather trim was optional on both P and L:

Font Material property Parallel Screenshot Document

Also shows that the sunshade was N/A on the L, and standard on the P, except footnote 3 that says N/A with optional Leather seat trim.
So only in '84, when leather seat trim first became an option on the P, you could get a P without the sunshade if the leather seat trim box was checked. In '85 the sunshade changed to the full hatch window cover, which all P's had, whether leather trimmed or not.