The Mk2: L-type and p-type and year differences - Page 2

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: The Mk2: L-type and p-type and year differences

SupraForums Member
    you must have had the same tail lights you have now then on your 85. I don't know for sure what years the rear end gears changed, it seems to vary. But I know I've seen 84s with both style of taillights and corner turn signal lens.

2. Remove Advertisements
    SupraForums.com
    Advertisements

SupraForums Member
    More confusion....

The door locking wiring and features seem to be different between the 85 and 86s as well. Not sure it these features are isolated to 85s, but 86s and 82s definatly don't have them. I've owned 2 85s now and both of them have the annoying habit of; locking the doors when you start the car, sometimes locking the doors when you close one of them (haven't figured out the exact condition that triggers this, I should rtfm), and pushing the lock button on the drivers side door back will always lock the doors the first time, but unlocks them as it should the 2nd. Very weird and annoying features I must say, I will be investigating wiring changes to make my 85s locks behave like my 86s.

SupraForums Member
    after having my door locks lock when hitting hard bumps while driving, I've come to the conclusion the the doors locking when you shut them is not a feature, but a worn out switch. Whoops.

5. Remove Advertisements
    SupraForums.com
    Advertisements

MK3Hazards
    what about the 81's? i was under the impression that the 81 was an mk2, and was also the last year for a live axle in a supra.

SupraForums Member
    nope, 81s are mk1s. But the first mk2s were made in 81 and probably sold in 81 as 82 models.

Oh and disregard my 2 previous posts. I think its just dumb luck that both of my 85s came with worn out lock switchs that like to lock themselves on hard bumps and I think the wear is also causing them to always lock on the first back press.

82LChick
    Ihave an 82 L series fully loaded apparently, everything works I just have some electric issues and the body is in need of a paint job

The first MK2s were made 8/81 identified with SUPRA on the nose and b pillars.

'86s also came with AM Stereo.

Regards,
    AJ
    '86 Supra MA67
    USA

spud3861
    The door handles were pull out on the earlier mk2s and pull up on the later ones. I think it changed for the 84 model. Also the 82- early 83 had an external fuel pump, and the later ones had the in tank pump.

Wow, there are probably a lot more differences still to be pointed out :-)

Rufus
    Just a quick question. what did Australia get? I know people with supras here but im not sure of the specs. Did Aus get the Ltype and Ptype? or did we get the usual and only have the leftovers?

SupraForums Member
    Oh thats a whole other can of worms if we get into regional year differences too. I think the big one with the Oz cars was that they came with 5mes. Not sure if it was all of them or just some, but they seem to be pretty common there.

As for my door lock issues, now fixed. I documented it here if anyone has the same problems....
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mk2/message/94590

Sunny Lude
    Originally posted by Malloy
    Canandian LTypes had a LSD available. Dean Anderson in ON has one in his '83 LType, and it came that way.

Im a big fan of his car. 83 5sp, LSD having LType.
    I have an euro 83 L-type supra. I assune that it has LSD too?

SupraForums Member
    All Canadian PTypes came with lsds. I belive it was optional on the LTypes

hi guys
    i never posted on the mkii section, but wnated to say that me and my dad used to have a 83 mkii 5 speed, red ,sunroof, and also a 85 dark grey metallic auto, leather,hi fi stereo, and let me say that those cars were beautiful and immaculate, and i wish i could hve stayed with both of them , i loved those cars, just want to say that for you guys to still have them ,and driving them, is such heritage , and beaty, unlike some other members who drive newer generaion supras think they were ugly, but anyway i have a mkiv, for 4 years and i will conitnue the generation of toyota cars in my house hold. just wanted to say that those cars were awesome and still are. peace

aliki1027

American???

How can you tell if your car is american or non-american?(What a racey way to put that but whatever).
    I drive a 1985 l-type.

Black Dawg
    '82s had vacuum advance distributors, after that they had electronic advance.

eurosupra1
    I have an 84 L type Imported from germany w/t 3.73 LSD 15"x6"rims dig.dash that goes up to at least 220km the tail lights look to be like the celica style, the hp I don't know but I do know it is very kwik for stock
    Rob

Originally posted by eurosupra1
    I have an 84 L type Imported from germany w/t 3.73 LSD 15"x6"rims dig.dash that goes up to at least 220km the tail lights look to be like the celica style, the hp I don't know but I do know it is very kwik for stock
    Rob
    I can attest to the quickness of this car. At the time, I had a brullen exhaust, rabid chimp intake w/k&n and rob still kicked my ass. BTW Rob, if you tell anyone I admited this I'm going to deny till I'm blue in the fast.

Seriously though guys, this is one quick mkii, although Rob, wouldn't it be quicker with my ct26 bolted in there.

Guess we'll have to wait till the spring to see how the 6m holds up against the eurosupra.

Later
    George
    84 MKII - Undergoing Restore and Twin Turbo Upgrade
    89 MKIII- HKS Sport Turbo + Goodies
    "Horsepower Sells Cars, Torque Wins Races"

Tanyas 85 Supra
    confusion, confusion...both of my 85 P-types had manufactured plates that were dated ( silver ptype) august 84 ( black p-type) december 84, both of them are 85s however, so I'm confused to SupraFiends statement that the newer style 84 kicked in sometime in mid 84... wouldn't that mean those cars were manufactured in either late 1983 or very early 84? I dunno, but I know one other thing, I changed the interior from my 1982 P-type to put it in my silver 85, notice: there's a difference in the top half of the back seats. I actually took the material off my seats andswitched them, not traded the whole seats, and there's a screw or something in the 85s seats that's not there in the 82s because I had to make a hole for it...just another observation about years

NiGHTS
    Originally posted by Rufus
    Just a quick question. what did Australia get? I know people with supras here but im not sure of the specs. Did Aus get the Ltype and Ptype? or did we get the usual and only have the leftovers?
    Hey!

I'm pretty sure we got both the L-Type and P-Types...But our engine is different to the JP and US ones...we got the 5M-E. The major difference is it is SOHC as opposed to the DOHC of the 5M-GE...given that, there is a 30 horsepower difference between the two engines...

Fray
    I am also new to this forum, but the 83-84 Supra I have has been in my family since 1985. I've owned it for about 4 or 5 years, my mother GAVE it to me!

Anyway, the year of this car is constantly in question: all the paperwork from shops, parts dealers, etc. list it as an 84, but the door sticker lists it as Nov 83.
    So when mom gave me the car, and it later needed work, I automatically said an 84. This went on until we got a wrong part and had to return it and ask for it as an 83, I don't remember what the part was, maybe a slave cylinder. Now I call it an 83.5. I had the timing belt replaced 3 years ago, and now have problems with it and recently broke completely down, the timing belt slipping as soon as I start it. It took awhile to filter through this forum, the Yahoo MK2 forum, and SOGI to find a shop in Austin that will work on it and not rip me off and I can drive my beloved Supra again!

So according to your list, my car is an 84, which I've thought all along. Which is the correct way to list a car, by the door sticker, or what?

Hey, thanks for the info, they've been calling me the Supra slut now because all I've been doing for a month is researching my car dreaming of upgrades...

Tanyas 85 Supra
    if it was man. in Nov. of '83 it is most likely an 1984 model, you will also know it's a 84 if it has the turn signals that wrap around on to the fenders

85celsup
    I've always understood it that an open diff lets one wheel spin, a posi is just a fused diff so both wheels spin at the same speed all the time which gives you wheel hop around turns, and limited slip works with friction plates to give both wheels power but with different percentages. ex- around a turn, the outside wheel gets 70% power and the inside gets 30% power. Correct me if im wrong.

mk2supraman
    one quick question i have an 84 supra i was wondering if anybody knows if an 82 rear end will fit in an 84 i want 3.73 gears and i would try to use my limited slip spool or know anything else that will fit in there preferably stronger i keep breaking rear diffs. well any help is apreciated thanks "i love what u do for me toyota "

Wow...I have an 84 P-Type. It's cool to learn new stuff. Now if I can just find out about my 79...

SupraForums Member
    my 82 (parts car) speedo went up to 130 May be it was a later model. My Toyota T-Ten teacher told me the L-tpyes where basicly the lugury version of the Supra Leather thinner tires power seats bla bla but i never really got into the part of the Supra But for A fact I can tell you the in 83 was the first year they put ISC on the intake manifold I have 82 83 and my bro has a 84 (hopefully he'll sell it to me hehe)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

List your Car(s)

Where you live

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Your Supra's Vehichle Identification Number (Not visible to the public)

Log-in