****Tech Article-Change your Getrag 6 Speed Fluid to Royal Purple Synchromax. - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: ****Tech Article-Change your Getrag 6 Speed Fluid to Royal Purple Synchromax.

Quote Originally Posted by quick
    I'm going to write a tech article on changing blinker fluid and another on filling tires with "air".

Sorry man -- I had to give you a hard time... changing fluid ain't hard at all.
    Quick if you do that...i will do the tech article on "refilling" wiper fluid. Or i mean i will take pictures of you refilling the fluid on my car for me All in good fun of course Brad, just giving you a hard time as quick did. But i agree with quick ...these are very easy things to do. And to be a truly informative "tech article" you need to include the size of allen keys to use, etc etc. Just a thought to make it more complete for a newbie who has no idea.

1994 Alpine Silver 6spd
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

2. Remove Advertisements
    SupraForums.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by braddman
    ... and then replace the bottom bolt and use TEFLON on the threads to prevent any future leaks.
    You do realize that the teflon (tape?) is pushed INTO the transmission when you thread the bolt in, right? Keep the teflon tape usage for when you want to do indoor non-potable plumbing such as replacing your shower head.

John H

SupraForums Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HmoobSUPRA
    Which in theory = better fluid.
    Yep. I checked some posted numbers an it looks like they lined up right with the ATF except that the ATF was significantly thicker when cold. So in theory the RP is superior.

BMW or that supra guy (who's name I can't remember Moed) pointed out that the Redline fluid that cause seal swell had the max level of that additive in the fluid which could have contributed to the problems.

5. Remove Advertisements
    SupraForums.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by HmoobSUPRA
    A lot of owner's DO NOT know how to change the fluid...so it's definitely a good write up as a reference. However, even though I think it may just be a Toyota scam to get us using their expensive V160...I would just stick with the old V160 stuff. Keep us posted on the fluid.
    I for one have never done it personally, and while I know the "theory", I do appreciate the article and especially the pictures. Keep em coming B-man

Quote Originally Posted by John H
    You do realize that the teflon (tape?) is pushed INTO the transmission when you thread the bolt in, right? Keep the teflon tape usage for when you want to do indoor non-potable plumbing such as replacing your shower head.

John H
    not a "teflon" is the tape kind. Most are a goop aka pipe dope and that's perfectly fine to use.

Quote Originally Posted by Supradedupra
    Hmmm... about a year ago, I had my tranny swapped out for a freshly rebuiilt one. Car has been driving awesome! Well... a few months down the road, I jacked up the car and found a sticker underneath the tranny "ATF only".

What should i do ?
    You mean this one ?

I can't count how many times I've been saying to use ATF toyota ATF type IV but no one listens.

Joe.

I'm back!
    Use what you want in your tranny and if you don't like the articles don't click on em, pretty simple. It's a waste of both our times.

SupraForums Member
    Thanks for the write up Brad. I am just curious when is the right time to change the tranny oil and gear oil for our cars? What exact mileage or time.

SupraForums Member MattyTrashed's Avatar
    brad u are the man always having great facts and mods and even better videos!

Quote Originally Posted by Alpine Silver
    Thanks for the write up Brad. I am just curious when is the right time to change the tranny oil and gear oil for our cars? What exact mileage or time.
    Check the owner's manual for scheduled maintenance such as this.

I'm back!
    Changing the tranny oil every 10k miles is what I plan on doing.

I'm back!
    Quote Originally Posted by carchitect
    You mean this one ?

I can't count how many times I've been saying to use ATF toyota ATF type IV but no one listens.

Joe.

The Synchromax says right on the front designed for transmissions that require ATF...so there ya go.

SupraForums Member
    You mean this one ?

Joe.

sorry for the dumb question but in that picture what is that hardened line running to?

Quote Originally Posted by RAR81
    sorry for the dumb question but in that picture what is that hardened line running to?
    Slave cylinder.

So far, it seems the few that have used the RP are happy w/ the results. I'm interested in an ongoing status report of problems/improvements of using the RP. Personally, I don't think the GETRAG has rough shifting issues until it's very abused or very used. We've always used the V160 fluid here with good results. We recommend changing every 10-12k miles. I'd like to see how this RP fluid works out on older/clunkier 6speeds.

Quote Originally Posted by braddman
    Changing the tranny oil every 10k miles is what I plan on doing.

So Brad ,according to your post in carbon/carbon break in period thread....you said you drive your car 1k a year ...so you will be changing fluid once every 10 years or so????? Honestly All fluid changes and intervals are based upon the driving the person does. If normal street driving...nothing major....just go by the manual as quick says. If drag racing and such....rear fluid (at least 2 times a year if not more) Burnouts break down the fluid very fast and have to remember there is less then 2 quarts back there to protect and fluid is not that expensive and very easy to change....drain, fill ...pretty simple Tranny Fluid ..if drag racing and slamming gears hard ALOT...at least once a year i would say if not twice....but if using V160 ...will be a little pricey...but tranny going up would cost alot more!!! Whereas the synchromax at ~ 8 bucks a bottle would be a no brainer to change twice a year. Its not so much mileage dependant as to when to change fluids...more as driving style. But the toyota manual has all normal intervals of at least when to change them or to get an idea.

Does anyone have a link to the tech articles - "How to defrost your windows" or "Proper operation of the radio volume knob"??

J/K Brad - haha

Quote Originally Posted by braddman View Post
    You mean this one ?

Joe.

The Synchromax says right on the front designed for transmissions that require ATF...so there ya go.
    Hi Braddman.
    Thanks for the infoI.
    12 years in, any update on using the Royal Purple after all this time? No swelling / excessive play etc. Thanks

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

List your Car(s)

Where you live

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Your Supra's Vehichle Identification Number (Not visible to the public)

Log-in