Fender modification pics - Page 3

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: Fender modification pics

Tearing up Sydney streets Infernoo's Avatar
    Here are the pictures and procedure as specified by yellow97tt6spd (brian) - thank him for the information + pictures :-)

i dont have too many pics but you get the idea... brians 12 step program for cuttin fenders...

1) put the car on jackstands and high enough so you can get a jack under your tires...

2) put little guide lines inside the lip with a sharpie so you can keep all the little tack welds... you only need an 1/8" to either side of the tack...

3) jack up a tire so the car barely raises off the jackstand... this will give you the most accurate scratched line as the suspension is close to ride height...

4) take a 30" piece of thin steel and rub it along the face of your tire so the edge scratches a nice line in your paint... BE CAREFUL...

5) take a little 3" air powered cutoff wheel and cut out the metal...
    - TAKE YOUR TIME...that wheel will eat through ANY paint it touches...
    - only cut in one spot for short bursts... you dont want to superheat the paint...
    - cut to the side of your scratched line that is closest to the outside of the car...
    - dont cut off your tabs...
    - TAKE YOUR TIME...

6) put the tire back on and check everything with your steel... it should clear by atleast an 1/8" or so...

7) smooth everything GOOD with a file and sandpaper when youre finished grinding... take a rasor and cut a line well inside your cut line so when you bend your tabs the paint just cracks there...

8) bend your tabs up into the fenderwell as far as you can with your hands...

9) tape everything off well and spray everything down with undercoating...

10) come back with channel locks and a block of wood wrapped in a towel and crush the tabs in as far as you can... use the block to spread the pressure on the outside of the car fender... not too hard but you should feel them stop bending...

11) give it another blip of undercoating...

12) enjoy...

2. Remove Advertisements
    SupraForums.com
    Advertisements

BLACKOUT
    just remember , rolling the fenders will keep em stronger

I think this thread should be a sticky to save people the trouble

5. Remove Advertisements
    SupraForums.com
    Advertisements

SF Contributing Member Northstar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by exvelocity View Post
    I think this thread should be a sticky to save people the trouble
    Agreed !! Sticky !!!
    Ryan
    '94 Single 6 Speed
    '15 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Altitude Edition
    Instagram

YouTube Channel

My RR Supra Build| HRE | Ridox |& More...

Quote Originally Posted by HellBringer View Post
    Not driving and/or modding a Supra is like not banging your hot, horny girlfriend/wife in hopes she'll be more appealing to her next boyfriend/husband.

Here are mine

BEFORE:

DURING:

AFTER:
    We affirm that the world’s magnificence has been enriched by a new beauty: the beauty of speed. A racing car whose hood is adorned with great pipes, like serpents of explosive breath - a roaring car that seems to ride on grapeshot....

Banned
    we should all pitch in a $1 or so, so we could all just borrow it

Banned
    There are places where you can rent the tool for about 40 to 50 bucks for 5 days.

Banned
    I have one for rent...PM me if you want to use it. perfect condition.

how wide are the rears on your red sup ken? looks freaking insanely wide to me

So basically,

Cutting the Fenders = no corosion or rust, but you have to be careful of the spot welds.

Rolling the Fenders = stronger fender overall, but must worry about corosion and rust.

BTW.... how do you "save" the spot welds?

Thanks guys. Very informative.

^^^^^ can you please explain your logic here....

Cutting the fneders exposes bare metal to the elements unless you respray them or tough them up, but then this looks half assed on most cars and it shoudlnt be done...the edges are too sharp and the original paint WILL start to chip off causing rust...

Rolling the fenders (IF ITS DONE CORRECTLY) will not chip the paint or crack it...(YOU MUST BE PATIENT FOR THE PROCESS TO WORK OUT GOOD) So you will not have to respray or touch up anything...
    The only way i can see corrosion start is if you dont fully roll the lips so it is not flush with the inside of the fender and water can get up in there and stay there eventually causing rust..but then again...dont drive in the rain...

If you look at my fenders it looks like they were rolled from the factory, since there is no ripple in them and they are totally flush with the inside of the fender as well

I did this myself and it took about 2 hrs total in ym driveway...you just need to get the perfect angle on the lip and it will be cake

Ant
    Black/Black 1994 TT 6 spd BPU
    HKS Intake
    RMM Downpipe
    HKS Carbon Titanium
    Greddy BCC
    Greddy Profec B Boost Controller
    Titan Cam Gears
    SS Brake lines
    HKS Hipermax III Coilovers
    R2 Steering Rack Kit
    Stock Twins Baby!!

I know in the Supra world, this may be a no no, but believe it or not I drive in the rain. And my Supra, at the moment, is daily driven!

So, am I just screwed either way (cutting the fenders or rolling them)?

If I am driving my Supra daily, should I just not even screw with the fenders? Because from a perfectionist standpoint, I am going to have rust either way I go.

SupraForums Member
    I just purchased the east wood.

I am going to roll mine, Ill let you know at what heat setting I use on the gun and such. it is going to be 65 here - 70 .. so its not that warm as it is usually. I am going to keep a heater near me and then use the heat gun and just take 2-3 hours doing it, it must work then

Ill post pics!

turbo noob
    keep us posted!

Administrator
    Number One Hardtopper
    Blog Entries
    I've cut mine in the past (on a previous Supra) with an air powered circular cutting blade. We then epoxy primered the bare metal liberally and it was never an issue again.

If I did it again, I'd give serious thought to having them rolled professionally, and realize that there are pros and cons to each method. I believe there are resale value implications to your car for doing either method, and I know that savvy MKIV shoppers do look for this while inspecting potential cars. Some would eliminate a Supra entirely if it had rolled/cut fenders, or at least alter their offer a bit.
    Steve Theodore
    2014 Nissan GT-R
    2012 Lexus IS-F
    2010 Porsche 911 GT3 RS
    2002 Porsche 911 Turbo
    2008 Toyota 4Runner Sport Edition

Click here to visit the Supra Hardtop Turbo Registry
    Click here to find out more about professional networking within the Supra world

Even though my car is 14 year old is it true about what they say about Ren. Red that it is the hardest to roll fenders without having the paint crack?

SupraForums Member
    What front lip is that on JamesN1830's black supra on some of the photos at page 1. Can anybody tell me which one it is and is it modified?
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by whitelex03 View Post
    Even though my car is 14 year old is it true about what they say about Ren. Red that it is the hardest to roll fenders without having the paint crack?
    LOL, I wonder who told you that, it doesn't matter what color paint you have,it matters if you have tons of bondo and crappy repaint on quarter panels,that's all

Stefan
    _Stefan B
    elite custom body + paint

do what's right,not what's easy
    Need professional advice or opinion on body/paint/assembly or cosmetic related issues?Just ask.

http://www.facebook.com/ELITECUSTOMBODY

Quote Originally Posted by crisco3 View Post
    So, am I just screwed either way (cutting the fenders or rolling them)?

If I am driving my Supra daily, should I just not even screw with the fenders? Because from a perfectionist standpoint, I am going to have rust either way I go.
    if the rolling is done right, there is absolutely no paint damage,the main trick is to have plenty of heat applied to the wheelwell while gradually applying pressure on the edge of the pinchweld with a roller

I think the body shops always say cut cause its easier and they are making a lot more money on the other stuff coming in anyway. Me personally, rolling is much better. Know plenty of people who rolled without a single problem and I think its better then hacking out the metal. Requires more time and finesse but better in the long run if you ask me. I guess each can be done to look right though.

Quote Originally Posted by exvelocity View Post
    LOL, I wonder who told you that, it doesn't matter what color paint you have,it matters if you have tons of bondo and crappy repaint on quarter panels,that's all

Stefan
    Mike at Batlground out in Atlanta told me that, they also rolled my fenders for my IS300.
    -PTeezy

you can tell Mike,he is full of s...t ,

it makes no difference whatsovever ,red,black,silver,blue,green,white ,it will only crack if you're not using heat gun properly,I've even rolled bunch of repainted cars and paint didn't crack,

Stefan

SupraForums Member SupraSpeedMKIV's Avatar
    what happens if you cut the spot welds?

Is it turbo? Is it stick? TROLL's Avatar
    When I rolled the fenders on my Subie (to fit a 17x8.5 +40... ha) I used the method described above with the Eastwood roller and a heat gun. I watched a shop get the fenders up to about 160* previously and they told me that without a temp gauge you basically spend a while with the heatgun and get it hot enough that when you put your fingertips on the fender you cant leave them there for more than a second or so... then you know its time to get in there with the roller.
    Just know that they cool pretty quickly so its a lot of back and forthing with the roller and the heatgun... the secret is taking your time and not applying too much pressure, and you should be able to get them rolled pretty far without any cracking.
    If they do crack, no biggie. Apply some touchup paint and chances are the only way you'd be able to see it is if your eye level is at or below the bottom of the fender, a normal point of view would never see the cracked paint.

Earth.. On Top Some Girl around the world.
    Car look great ken,i need to cut mind..

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

List your Car(s)

Where you live

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Your Supra's Vehichle Identification Number (Not visible to the public)

Log-in