Fender modification pics - Page 6

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: Fender modification pics

what do you guys mean by pulling the fender i have mine all grinded down. but im still rubbing.

2. Remove Advertisements
    SupraForums.com
    Advertisements

At what point in cutting/grinding is too much. I rolled my rears then ending up cutting/sealing/painting. Now I have a new setup and have some rubbing issues, I'd rather not jack the car up and was thinking about grinding some more but I am worried about the inner panel and quater seperating. Is this possible?

Stock Body Supras FTW SupraRy95's Avatar
    At what size rim width wise do you have to cut or roll the fenders? Is it 11inch and bigger? I know most of it depends on the size of tire to.
    Last edited by SupraRy95; 03-23-2009 at 04:42 PM.

5. Remove Advertisements
    SupraForums.com
    Advertisements

Do you guys cut into the plastic mold towards the rear of the car, or just up to it?

Is it turbo? Is it stick? TROLL's Avatar
    I only cut up to it but thats actually where I found I was rubbing the most, so I might try to trim at least a little bit off of there, but I haven't tried yet.
    I actually found that on cut fenders it is only rubbing from 12 oclock and rearward, nothing forward of that... thought it was kind of strange but thats how it is for me.

Quote Originally Posted by nautica2o3 View Post
    Do you guys cut into the plastic mold towards the rear of the car, or just up to it?
    usually if you're going with agressive offset or 305-up ,the upper portion of that trim piece needs to be cut or trimmed
    _Stefan B
    elite custom body + paint

do what's right,not what's easy
    Need professional advice or opinion on body/paint/assembly or cosmetic related issues?Just ask.

http://www.facebook.com/ELITECUSTOMBODY

Wingless by Choice poorman's supra's Avatar
    Thought I'd share mine. Mine have been grinded down then fiberglass was added for Strength in the fender well.

Devin P.
    94 TT Red/Tan factory wingless 53k miles.

I find my point of least clearance is at the rear where the trim piece starts... I'm going to shave a bit of that off to give myself a little more room back there. basically trim it right up to the top fastener, but leave the head of the fastener in tact.
    (On the drivers side), I have 0 rubbing issues from 9 o'clock to 12 o'clock, but I do have issues from 12 o'clock to 3 o'clock (and its the opposite o'clocks on the passenger side). Thought that was kind of strange but I guess thats how it is with Supras...
    Last edited by TROLL; 05-21-2009 at 08:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TROLL View Post
    I find my point of least clearance is at the rear where the trim piece starts... I'm going to shave a bit of that off to give myself a little more room back there. basically trim it right up to the top fastener, but leave the head of the fastener in tact.
    I have 0 rubbing issues from 9 o'clock to 12 o'clock, but I do have issues from 12 o'clock to 3 o'clock. Thought that was kind of strange but I guess thats how it is with Supras...
    that's pretty normal, all MKIV's will have rubbing at 3 o'clock with bigger wheel/tires combo,that's the way they were built,that area is not as wide as 9 o'clock

SupraForums Member
    I have put 27 inch diameter tires on my car. I agree with TROLL the most rubbing occurs at the beginning of the front and rear plastics.

still the most rubbing will be in the rear of the wheelwell ,right at the tip of the quarter trim

Yeah... and I just edited my post to clarify since I realized that 3 o'clock on the drivers is different than on the passengers, I mean its at the rear of the wheel wells where that plastic trim piece starts, which you know I'm sure but others might not.

we always use a rubber coated baseball bat and utilize the tire on the car to roll a fender, works perfect if you know what your doing and it's free
    "Live Fast Die Hard"
    white 97 limited edition TT bpu "sig"
    Red 2005 BMW Z4 drop top
    white 1989 Z28 with built 350 400hp

HK USP 45c
    Problem with that is there's a learning curve...which most people wouldn't want to lean on their Supra.

Quote Originally Posted by redtargatopturbo View Post
    we always use a rubber coated baseball bat and utilize the tire on the car to roll a fender, works perfect if you know what your doing and it's free
    you do this without pulling the fender or cracking the paint?
    the only people i've ever seen do that dont really care much about how the finished product looks...

-2003 Blue WRX, complete 2007 STi Engine/Drivetrain transplant - Pic 1 | Pic 2 | Pic 3 | Pic 4 (new!)
    -1994 Black Supra TT 6MT - Build/Restoration Thread: 67mm, Fuel, Painted Engine Bay, Fuse Box Relocation, Wire Tuck, etc.

yeah I have never cracked the paint, if you have never tried it before you may not want to start on a supra, but zzt23-...thats why I said "if you know what your doing"

I rolled mine a bit with the rolling tool but, belive it or not supra's have some heavy duty sheet metal on the Q-panels because it was a bitch to do.
    I was gonna have my body shop cut them but, he said DO NOT cut them.
    The reason is that the q-panle sheet metal is welded to the fenders and thats why there is a few spot welds on the inner lip & it makes it difficult to roll. I was told if you cut them it could cause the Q-panels to vibrate/shake and it reduces the strenght of q-panles.
    94 Alpine SilverHKS TO4Z/PROEFI /HKS 264/HRE/E85
    95 Hardtop
    97 Hardtop

Quote Originally Posted by JamesN1830 View Post
    yes and yes. Trailors are a pain no longer!
    Good idea, I just hope no one ever steals it, that would make for a quik get away.

just a bit of technical help for those that dont understand the terms

http://www.archenemy.co.uk/tech.htm

SupraForums Member
    NIce...

Quote Originally Posted by redtargatopturbo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by zzt23- View Post
    Problem with that is there's a learning curve...which most people wouldn't want to lean on their Supra.
    I'm with you, wouldn't want to do it with a bat with no experience.

SupraForums Member
    Quote Originally Posted by adamroutley View Post
    just a bit of technical help for those that dont understand the terms

http://www.archenemy.co.uk/tech.htm
    Wow thanks. I read through all 6 pages guessing at what everyone was talking about.

On my brother's m3 the rear fender was flared. Probably the sexiest looking rear end I've seen in my life.
    Infiniti Q45 1997
    Infiniti Q45 2005

I had the bodyshop cut my rear fender lips off before they painted... they did an awesome job. The edge is very low profile but still slightly rounded so its not sharp at all... they put seam sealer up in between the panels and redid the undercoating. I talked to quite a few people about cutting it before I went ahead with it but in my research I never found anyone who had a problem with cutting, just theories with no backing. Speaking to a bodyshop that does a lot of work on Supras as well as a few other owners, all those who have cut them have had 0 problems so I felt fine with it.

The one thing they left is they didnt trim any of the plastic rear trim piece which clips to the rear bumper. The top corner of that is the point of least clearance still so I'm going to shave the corner of it off so its not sticking out in the way any more.
    I'll get some photos next chance I get with the wheels off, looks 'factory' though .

SupraForums Member
    anyone want to rent me the tool?

Quote Originally Posted by rawfish View Post
    anyone want to rent me the tool?
    What tool....here you go bro!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wxmw-4A0DEQ

The lesson starts about 1 minute in. To pull the fender simply keep going untill the desired amount is there.

Here is my car fresh from paint with a 2" pull all around to clear 275's and tuck! 18 x 10 +0.

After setting camber and height. Baseball card clearance fellas!!!
    [IMG][/IMG]

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

List your Car(s)

Where you live

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Your Supra's Vehichle Identification Number (Not visible to the public)

Log-in