Stock twins replacement/upgrade - Hybrid GT28R's - Page 120

+ Reply to Thread
Page 120 of 120 FirstFirst ... 20 70 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120
Results 2,976 to 2,992 of 2992

Thread: Stock twins replacement/upgrade - Hybrid GT28R's

Quote Originally Posted by shenofjo View Post
    Hey guys, I have an opportunity to buy a STU hybrid twins used. but owner mentions having casing leaking coolant in one of the turbos... anyone know whether that's a deal breaker or is it a simple fix? given my goals of running just stock ecu, piggyback and most importantly about streetability with 91 Oct for daily driving, how are the stu turbo kit stack up to these criterias? I may either go stu twins or upgrade my stock twin internals.
    I suspect that Bryan at BNR can easily repair for a small fee.

2. Remove Advertisements
    SupraForums.com
    Advertisements

Yes, with pump E85.

No on pump 91 octane.

Both are pump fuel, not race gas.
    95 Supra TT (Hybrid GT28R's), Alpine Silver, ProEfi, ATF built A340 Auto
    93 Supra NA, Baltic Blue

SupraForums Member
    Hey Brian, how do you like the hybrids with the auto? Sequential or TTC?
    93 Alpine Silver TT Auto BPU: HKS Super Dragger, Random Tech hi flow cat, IK22 .032", K&N filter, Synapse DV diverter valve, MVP bcc, ebv spring mod x2 @ 13 psi, wg spring mod x3, innovate SCG-1 ~17 psi, emanage blue

Cooling: AIS W/M injection 12GPH, SM auto trans cooler external filter, CSF rad

Suspension and Handling: TRD front strut bar, bilstein shock/oem spring combo

5. Remove Advertisements
    SupraForums.com
    Advertisements

I am running sequential. I like that I can cruise around with plenty of low end response from the first turbo, but when the second turbo comes on it hits like a bat outa hell. Haven't tried TTC mode but personally, if I were gonna go TTC, might as well just go single.

Regarding the hybrids with the auto, I love it. With the new torque converters out now, you can dial it in however you like, for drag or street. I switched to the 4k stall for drag and love the speed and launch, and can always go back to a lower stall if you are going to be doing more roll racing or just street driving.
    Last edited by briankallaher; 04-10-2019 at 08:43 PM.

SupraForums Member
    Thanks for the feedback, looks like you are at a different level here with the e85 extra volume for spoiling up the turbos, 4K stall and all. What's the lowest stall you have driven in with the set up and used non ethanol pump? Just wondering how they would perform given the worst case scenario of stock stall, 91 octane, piggyback on stock Ecu.

Quote Originally Posted by shenofjo View Post
    Thanks for the feedback, looks like you are at a different level here with the e85 extra volume for spoiling up the turbos, 4K stall and all. What's the lowest stall you have driven in with the set up and used non ethanol pump? Just wondering how they would perform given the worst case scenario of stock stall, 91 octane, piggyback on stock Ecu.
    I ran the stock stall and tranny with the Stu turbos on 91 octane, then went to a 3200 stall with the ATF built tranny on E85, prior to going to the 4K stall. Performed great on the stock stall and 91 octane.

I would occasionally smoke a Camaro or WRX with these turbos and the stock stall! As you know people always wanna race when you are in a Supra! 😉

I remember one Camaro that got a good jump on me, and he was rowing gears as I proceeded to reel him in and pass by him! That is the benefit of the auto tranny being quicker. He looked pretty pissed ha ha! But I remember thinking how I could not have done that with the stock turbos. So if the GT28R turbo upgrade with the auto tranny on 91 octane, is good enough to smoke a 430+ hp V8... then I would say it performs pretty damn good imo. Try doing that with the stock turbos...
    Last edited by briankallaher; 04-11-2019 at 01:07 AM.

l337 M0d3r4t0r
    Well, the turbos are here, clutch is here (os giken) but they sent me 1 flywheel bolt because I thought when you order it would be a set. LOL

Eric W
    87 TT E85
    91 T 60k miles
    98 SC 300

SupraForums Member
    Looking good Eric. What wheel did you go for in the end?

Did Albert any potential problems with using GTX wheels in a non-ported shroud?

Can you confirm that the stock Artec pipe uses the same sized inlets as the OEM pipe and that the only difference is the outlet at 80mm.
    Last edited by Ben_R; 04-12-2019 at 06:07 AM.

l337 M0d3r4t0r
    Hi Ben,

Everything is bigger on the Artec, I don't think it's 80mm through 76mm maybe i think that's 3" GTX wheels in non ported shroud? Not sure what you are talking about.

@STU btw, i measured both JDM twins are the same size, I think where ever that info was given was wrong. I have 3 sets and Albert M agrees as he has rebuilt countless and they all have the same sized compressor.

SupraForums Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ZaZZn View Post
    Hi Ben,

Everything is bigger on the Artec, I don't think it's 80mm through 76mm maybe i think that's 3" GTX wheels in non ported shroud? Not sure what you are talking about.
    Regarding a ported shroud, I meant like this. Screen Shot 2019-04-12 at 15.09.59.png I believe it is for anti surge. As the OEM housings aren't like this I wondered if there would be any negative effects on performance or if Albert mentioned anything to you?

When I looking into this I spoke with a Garrett rep regarding shoe horning any of their GTX wheels into the OEM housing and they advised me against doing it as they said their wheels were designed to run in ported housing.
    Last edited by Ben_R; 04-14-2019 at 07:40 AM.

l337 M0d3r4t0r
    You only need anti surge if you were surging in the first place. I doubts turbos this small will make a 3.0 surge no matter what you do. So I’d say you could ignore garret on that. Besides GTX wheels have been done already.

SupraForums Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ZaZZn View Post
    You only need anti surge if you were surging in the first place. I doubts turbos this small will make a 3.0 surge no matter what you do. So I’d say you could ignore garret on that. Besides GTX wheels have been done already.
    Which GTX wheels did you go for?
    Last edited by Ben_R; 04-14-2019 at 07:40 AM.

l337 M0d3r4t0r
    I wanted GTX, but Albert didn't have them. So i ended up with GT. I don't expect record-breaking numbers. I have 47.1 / 60.1 which would be the same as GT28 or GTX28 only difference is GTX has 11 blade GT has 6+6. BNR upgrdes use 16G wheels which allow for high boost pressures which is good since there is so much back pressure in the system due to the small piping. So if you think of talons doing 30-40 PSI of boost it makes sense why BNR chose these wheels. GTX wheels have higher PR ratios according to the maps as well. I suspect I will run out of steam around the 580-620 HP mark on E85. Which is fine with me for now since the mk3 will need some love to hold more torque with the R154 and the fact that I am using a stock fuel line with 1300CC injectors and 1 walbro 485.

l337 M0d3r4t0r
    Artec is 80mm and 57.6 on both collectors

Quote Originally Posted by briankallaher View Post
    New personal best today in Fontana! 10.405 @ 134.56! GT28R Twins! Dragy trap speed slightly off from time slip but still pretty accurate! Dragy Trap speed 133.72, compared to 134.56 on time slip.

Since people are asking:
    Stock 3.0L bottom end
    Stu GT28r Twins in sequential
    ATF stage 3 A340 auto
    FTI 4K torque converter
    OSG 1.5 way limited slip diff
    GSC S1 cams
    ID 1700X injectors
    Whalbro (2) 450 pumps
    Pro Efi standalone tuned by Bend Calibration w/launch control and traction
    Weld 17” Racing skinnies and rears
    M and H rear slicks 10.5/28-17
    SFS exhaust manifold
    4” downpipe and midpipe
    HKS Racing SQV 51 mm bov
    ETS 4” FMIC
    Amazing...why would anybody go single, when they can do this instead. Even if the argument is that you're on E85, I'm sure that on regular unleaded fuel, you're running running high 120mph traps.

I'm going to go for the GT28 turbine wheels on mine also.
    Do I need to tell my engineering shop to increase the compressor wheel size, or is it simply a case of having them out of steel in the original size?

Anything else I need to specify out of the norm for them to do also?
    1993 TT6 - stock...for now...

Quote Originally Posted by Celicasaur View Post
    Amazing...why would anybody go single, when they can do this instead. Even if the argument is that you're on E85, I'm sure that on regular unleaded fuel, you're running running high 120mph traps.

I'm going to go for the GT28 turbine wheels on mine also.
    Do I need to tell my engineering shop to increase the compressor wheel size, or is it simply a case of having them out of steel in the original size?

Anything else I need to specify out of the norm for them to do also?
    Haven't run unleaded now for 2 years since I finished the upgrades, but I would bet mid 120's is easily possible. Unleaded in California is 91 octane, and the crappiest fuel you can buy... so we did not even push it or run 91 since we went to E85.

Stu should be able to answer your technical question regarding the compressor wheel size.

If you order from BNR or from Stu Hagen there are instructions and a full installation kit that they can send you for the installation.
    Last edited by briankallaher; 04-16-2019 at 08:37 PM.

SupraForums Member supralover93's Avatar
    Stu, any updates on the manifolds?
    §§
    93 turbo targa
    auto
    BPU

+ Reply to Thread
Page 120 of 120 FirstFirst ... 20 70 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

List your Car(s)

Where you live

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Your Supra's Vehichle Identification Number (Not visible to the public)

Log-in