Supra Forums banner

Engine Management Questions and Tech Advice

29K views 1 reply 1 participant last post by  John Reed 
#1 ·
While there are other sections of the forum devoted to this topic, I am doing this for those who may have questions directly for me, though general questions are also welcome. I also encourage anyone to come in and provide answers/discussion, as we can all learn from the knowledge pool here on the forum. This is just one way I am trying to reduce some of the load on my phone and email that makes it hard to get to all of my customers on a daily basis, especially when I am traveling.

The main systems we can discuss here are Motec, AEM and VPro but I am not opposed to questions regarding other systems.

You can also feel free to PM or email me!

#2 ·
It is often asked how the main engine management systems out there for the Supra compare to each other, and also what advantages/disadvantages there are for each. Below is a brief outline, which is mostly my opinion based upon my experience with the systems and feedback I have gotten from end users. If you have any specific questions that aren't answered below, then feel free to post up or PM/Email.

AEM EMS: The AEM is probably the most popular standalone out there for the Supra, mostly due to being a very powerful system for a resonable price, all wrapped in a PNP package.
.....Strengths include: Great datalogging, excellent control of the factory items such as idle motors and automatic transmissions, awesome integrated boost control, good nitrous control and enough spare input/output to allow adding such things like methanol injection with failsafe, datalog a couple additional sensors and so on. The software is quite powerful, though some find it a bit overwhelming upon first use. All features are available to the end user.
.....Weaknesses would be some hardware quality issues that have come up, and some glitchy software/comms issues with various revisons of the software. I wish the software had a bit more in the way of user defined tables for the outputs and things like this. When using the factory igniter, the wasted spark output of the AEM reguires the use of ignition amplifiers even at relatively low boost.

HKS VPro: A high quality system from HKS, the VPro is also full plug and play like the AEM, and falls into a similar price category.
.....Strengths include: High quality hardware, works well with factory ignition system (does not require an amplifier at moderate boost levels), unique software tables/outputs which opens the option to keep the OEM ECU in place (and happy) to pass plug in emissions tests. It also has some additional software features that allow top notch tweaking of the driveability tuning and a very smooth running setup.
.....Weaknesses include: Datalogging that is adequate for the initial tune but not as great for data gathering/analysis (such as on a race car). Tuning/software is not available to the end user, and must be done by an HKS Pro Dealer. More geared for the tune it and forget it street crowd. Also does not have integrated boost control.

MoTeC: Top of the line engine management system, and we offer the PNP kit designed by Titan Motorsports, making for an easy install.
.....Strengths include: Hardware quality that is second to none and proven at some of the highest, most demanding levels of motorsport. Awesome datalogging/analysis, sofware power/flexibility, integrated boost control, nitrous control, traction control, etc. Many options available to configure the system to suit your needs, no matter what they are or your input/output demands. Works great with the factory igniter and just like the HKS VPro does not require an amplifier at modest boost levels. Uses USB comminications for fast, reliable connections on modern laptops. You can store up to 4 full, unique maps on the Motec, which are selectable via an optional switch or laptop. These are not trim maps like the AEM or VPro, but are complete maps. Perfect for those wanting to run drastically different fuels (pump gas, race gas, E85) and have full maps tailored to each available at the turn of a knob.
.....Weaknesses include: Price is higher than the other systems available. It cannot directly control the Toyota automatic transmission, and is not as well suited for the stepper idle control motor of the Supra. It can be tuned to work fine, just not quite as well setup for it as the AEM and uses up a lot of the available outputs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.