I am documenting my crank walk experience for you guys. I also have questions for you at the end of this thread.
GTE Bottom End
Occured after about two years of driving with this clutch. I tried to get it off the road in time but the last mile home was terrible. I also did not disable the clutch switch like I should have. Boy am I paying for that mistake..
1. Aside from the damage to the block in picture two, there isn't much other visible damage to the block. The face of a few mains look a tad banged up. What should I be looking for also on the block? Will an experienced machine shop be able to give me an answer by visually inspecting the block and caps?
2. The crank is a major concern. It's very hard to see any damage on the journals of the crank, but there has to be some. When should I consider replacing it instead of having it fixed?
3. I noticed the rod bearings are a matte light blue. Is this normal or have I experienced actual bluing? The back of the bearings look normal.
4. There were shavings in the pickup. Can I clean it out sufficiently or do I need a new one?
5. After something like this, how trustworthy is even a well-fixed block? I spin this motor to 8600rpms.
I hope we can build on this thread.