Crank Walk Documentation - Page 3

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Crank Walk Documentation

SupraForums Member
    does anyone make stronger aftermarket thrust washers?

2. Remove Advertisements
    SupraForums.com
    Advertisements

No I don't think so. I came up with an idea earlier today. I plan on drilling a small hole in the crank that will squirt oil directly onto the thrust washers. It will get the thrust washers oil soaked much faster than the conventional "splash" method that occurs during normal operation.

I know because I bought my car from him, and he talked about a guy from finland who bought a supra from him, since we were talking about shipping and so on.. Great guy to deal with, im never changing him out for anyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by spl View Post
    yep, stock clutch cant really handle bpu... My bpu+++ eaven

slipped new stock disk with rps pressure plate, the peter north stiff pp

Tectyl: yes, i bought my sup from jeremy @ speedforsale, how did you know? there are quite a lot of mkivs in finland nowadays...most of them are rhd from japan, though! Just a couple of lhd 6-speeds (i know of 3)

i bought a 72mm its x-trim turbo, bad ass bottom end and fuelsystem for my car.. And im planning to put carbonetics tripple disk in! Thanks for the advice anyways, youre right!!
    Black 1995 Supra TT ------19k miles----- U.S Spec

BPU++ 420rwhp

-Speed For Sale LLC made my dream come true-

5. Remove Advertisements
    SupraForums.com
    Advertisements

SupraForums Member turbochris700's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboTalon View Post
    DSM's have the same exact problem but it is much more wide spread than the Supra's doing it. A DSM can crank walk on a 100% stock car like it's the cars job.

Here is a theory and there is a lot of info about it in this link. They cut a few DSM blocks in half and compared then. I also know Marco personally and he is very good at what he does.

http://www.magnusmotorsports.com/tech/crankwalk.htm

hope this helps

chris w
    Chris W
    "The SupLex" 600+ whp Lexus
    2007 MazdaSpeed3 ~~~daily
    1992 awd talon..2.3 stroker,T67..592 awhp 30 psi(sold)
    See my old race car video on my MySpace page at
    http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...endid=57740843
    go down and click on the play button to see my old DSM making 700+whp run a street race..hehe..i miss that car. Theres vids of the new car racing and making DYNO pulls.

Now...Whitesupra94
    Quote Originally Posted by turbochris700 View Post
    Here is a theory and there is a lot of info about it in this link. They cut a few DSM blocks in half and compared then. I also know Marco personally and he is very good at what he does.

http://www.magnusmotorsports.com/tech/crankwalk.htm

hope this helps

chris w
    great info, I've wandered if anyone has looked into this on our engines

1994 Single 6spd
    BL 67DBB
    494whp @ 19psi
    12.15 @ 125.66 @21psi

Quote Originally Posted by BlackSupra93 View Post
    great info, I've wandered if anyone has looked into this on our engines

Yes , its very informative.

SupraForums Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ki11bert View Post
    To add to this conversation, the man who ported and polished my head said that his race car crank walked. He had a stroked small block 383 that was ruined from a faulty torque converter. It ended up pulling the crank through the mains and ruined the motor in one pass. So... if its happening to autos too it could be the torque converter to blame.

Kill
    Any update on if the torque converter may have something to do with it?

Where do you plan on drilling that small hole on the crank?

I consulted with MVP before buying the parts that I did.. And I was never told that my RPS (Blue) PLATE and Arizona clutch would "crank-walk" and they knew that I was planning on doing 1000rwhp so I guess I am going to call them in the morning and find out whats up with that...
    '94 Toyota Supra Top Secret Wide Body T88H
    '00 Mercedes-Benz E-Class 430 Sport (DD)

Sold
    '89 S-13 KA swap (Daily Drifter)
    '04 Modded STi
    '03 Yamaha R1
    '99 Modded GS-R
    '99 Champion's Ltd Edition R1

"In this society; We kill people, for killing people, to teach other people not to kill people.."

Spoke to Jason at MVP today and he re-affirmed me that I have nothing to worry about..

Just to bring a little tidbit from my DSM experience. Disabling the clutch switch seems to be the best way to battle crankwalk although one other thing always seems to cause it which is messing with clutch and flywheel combos. This is strictly speaking from the DSM world so dont take it as fact but I am going to assume its not so different.

I have seen many cars with a simple act clutch never have a problem as well as many. I have then seen cars with very close setups, miles, etc that use aftermarket flywheels with unproven clutch combos. These cars seem to walk left and right which I would like to attribute to the aftermarket lightened flywheels as much much fewer cars with a factory flywheel and any given clutch walk compared to those with an aftermarket flywheel. I have nothing solid to back that up except for the fact that it is a definite trend.

Just thought I would throw some info out there.

Certified Toyota Tech Ds650rida's Avatar
    Does anyone know if this is a common problem for the 1jz as well or is this just the N/A 2jz bottom ends?

SupraForums Member alwaysideways's Avatar
    I'm asking myself why did I just find this thread??? I installed the RPS (blue) PP over winter and yesterday I was taking off from a stop sign to right hand turn and the car shuttered. It will only do this when turning and only if i accelerate before the clutch is fully out. If I take off straight no noise and if I let out slow then accelerate through a corner no noise.

Am I the newest victim of crankwalk? Is it too late to do anything about it? I will be doing the clutch bypass mod before starting it up again.

Thanks.

Wheel Fitment Guru
    Stupid question but what does crank walk feel like? What are the symptoms?

R.K.

Quote Originally Posted by Radride View Post
    Stupid question but what does crank walk feel like? What are the symptoms?

R.K.
    +1

i have another question to add, is there different degrees of crank walk, like maybe an early stage and if you catch it early it can be remedied easier than if its in more advanced stages; or is it a "you either have it or you dont" type issue and there's no gray areas.

MKIV intervention needed cuemaster's Avatar
    militagan, the land of pure reason and logic aka da hood
    As a victim here are my answers

the two or really one washer that keeps your crank from going back and forth
    gets thinner and thinner until it can’t take the load of the pressure plate when the clutch is depressed and it fails.

You will have metal in your pan and the thrust washers will fall in there too
    but not after taking a ride around your lower block.

Your oil pump will suck up all that powdered metal and distribute it throughout your whole engine,
    this process scored up my cam journals pretty badly.

When you get hit with the walk your car will stall when you push in the clutch.

it will be hard to start with the clutch pushed in.

Your crank will be shot the block and pistons can be reused in most cases
    but just buying a minty fresh block from curt for 2300 is the best way to go imo.

I rebuilt everything and it was about 4500 with block, oil pump, filter assy. gaskets. head work cams (i went 264 and love them)
    I also did it all myself so labor was free and i know it was done right.

Curt also knows what parts you will need so ask when your ready to buy.

It’s a bitch and I wouldn’t wish it on my worst enemy good luck.

ps I was boosting on the highway the other day and was thinking that i was
    glad my supra didn’t break my will because a new engine is an absolute joy and worth the hassle....almost.
    Last edited by cuemaster; 07-08-2008 at 03:38 PM.

ex BPU'er
    Another n00b question, when you replace the clutch, do the thrust washers generally get replaced as well?
    1997 Supra TT- PT67/QSV/Vipec/HKS/AEM/SSR
    2004 G35 Coupe -Brembo pkg- daily/track
    2010 G37x Sedan- Wife's

MKIV intervention needed cuemaster's Avatar
    militagan, the land of pure reason and logic aka da hood
    Quote Originally Posted by marshallpre1 View Post
    Another n00b question, when you replace the clutch, do the thrust washers generally get replaced as well?
    the thrust washers are in the middle of the block on the middle of the crank so no.

lead follow or get out of the way, the most logic is in this.

2JZ NA-T
    glad i came accross this thread...... i have a 95 NA-t and i swapped in a v160 into recently. so im guesing i should go ahead and get rid of the switch too?

Track rat
    The clutch switch will be the first mod that I'll do, even when going to pick up the car.

However, I'm not too familiar with the design of the block itself, but can oil squirters be added with relative ease?

I found an article by an automatic transmission builder for hi-po cars, Art Carr, that goes on to discuss how automatics can induce crank walk as well. It was on their news page

The remedies that were discussed involved either seperate thrust bearings (not entirely sure of that design) or flanged thrust bearings.

Of course, the failure was a lack of a sufficient oil film. Hence an inability to create a boundary between the two surfaces under load.

If anything, some more ideas to ponder upon. However, I keep coming back to the thought it might be related to fore/aft loads being beyond the spec allowed. I imagine that there was a clamping force "limit" so that given the thrust bearing surface, a sufficient oil film would be formed, and anything beyond that limit might jeopardize oil film integrity.
    Last edited by OKcruising; 08-03-2008 at 10:43 PM.
    The Supra:
    98 Jade Mica Turbo - has devilish plans
    The Street car:
    07 Z06- Ron Fellows street cruiser, slow
    The Race car:
    04 Z06- Motons, PFC brakes, built LS7, 4 stage dry sump, etc. etc.

DSM's usualy just swap out the 7bolt motor for a 6 bolt to get rid of the crankwalk. Plus they are DSM's so we just throw on a MBC turn the boost to 24lbs and run a 12 then blow it up and drop in another 150 dollar motor.

SupraForums Member
    6 bolt motors can crankwalk. did that my self. and i would also love to know who you buy your motors from for $150. I'll take 20

Gotta keep your eyes open for em. I just picked up 3 6bolts, a 7 bolt and a 4 bolt rear for 500.

SupraForums Member
    I can only imagine the kind fo shape they are in

The one 6 bolt had the front mount ripped off of it because it was in a rally car. but the other 2 were in perfect shape and the internals of the first was good. He threw in the 7 bolt for free because they are worthless and it has less than 1k miles on it factory fresh from mitsu. Best part is with dsm's is I have never had one crankwalk because they dont last long enough with a 60-1 to even try.

Quote Originally Posted by kahunaking View Post
    Gotta keep your eyes open for em. I just picked up 3 6bolts, a 7 bolt and a 4 bolt rear for 500.

This is very true. I was at one point in time getting 1st gen 6 bolt and 7 bolt motors for 50 to 150 bucks if i pulled them. I never reused the motor i pulled straight up. But i did send them out for good cores. 95% of the time the motors were trashed.

chris w

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

List your Car(s)

Where you live

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Your Supra's Vehichle Identification Number (Not visible to the public)

Log-in