My Sound Dampening Project

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: My Sound Dampening Project

My Sound Dampening Project

This winter I decided to try and fix a couple issues with the car that I really didn't like; interior rattles, road noise, and heat off the transmission tunnel. By no means is my intent to create a Lexus type environment, but with crappy roads, coilovers, lowering, and wide 18" tires the road noise has become obnoxious. Here is my story.

The car:

Last Years ITS 60-1
    1998 Toyota Supra 6-Speed (as of 3/5/08)

Engine Bay:
    Garrett GT-4088R turbo
    HKS Exhaust Manifold
    HKS GT Wastegate
    PHR 3" Downpipe
    PHR Intake
    ETS 3 Row Intercooler
    RREV Motorsports 1000 cc Fuel System w/ Dual Denso Pumps
    Titan Motorsports Line Lock
    TRD Strut Bar
    MVP Motorsports Cooling Plate
    MVP Turbo Blanket

Transmission:
    Stock
    RPS Carbon-Carbon Twin Disk Clutch w/ extra rattle

Electronics:
    HKS F-Con V-Pro Engine Management
    Blitz SBC-iD Boost Controller
    Blitz Turbo Timer

Performance:
    Veilside TI Exhaust

Suspension:
    HKS Hypermax Rs Coilovers

Wheels & Tires:
    HRE 545's 18x10 and 18x9
    BF Goodrich KDW2's

Exterior:
    Stock

Interior:
    TRD 10k Tachometer
    AEM Wide band
    Pioneer AVIC-D3 Stereo w/ IPod

The Demolition:

The Dynomat pictured in the hatch area was installed a few years ago in an attempt to eliminate some road noise. It did little if anything.

Products: Second Skin Audio (Thanks for all the help)
    Damplifier
    Overkill
    Overkill Pro
    Heat Wave
    Rattle Pad

The Transmission Tunnel
    Products: Damplifier & Heat Wave

One layer of Damplifier and Heat Wave.

Completed

The Floor Pan
    Products: Damplifier, Overkill, & Overkill Pro

Damplifer

Damplifer II

First Layer Overkill Pro

Second Layer Overkill Pro

Third Layer Overkill

Complete

The Back Seat
    Products: Existing Dynamat, Damplifer, Overkill, and Overkill Pro in wheel wells

Seat Pan w/ Damplifier and Dynamat
    Last edited by sparkboy; 03-23-2008 at 07:26 PM.
    Scott

'98 6-Speed
    Garrett GT 4088R
    HKS GT Header
    HKS GT Wastegate
    HKS F-Con V-Pro
    1000cc Fuel System
    ETS 3-Row Intercooler
    HRE 545's
    HKS Hipermax RS Coilovers
    Veilside Titanium

2. Remove Advertisements
    SupraForums.com
    Advertisements

Seat Pan w/ Overkill

Rear Seat waterfall w/ Overkill and Dynamat

Dynamat Extreme and Overkill

Complete

Rear Wheel Wells (I believe the brake ducts are a big contributer of road noise)
    Products: Damplifier and Overkill Pro

Damplifier (note the thin rubber brake duct)

Overkill Pro over Wheel Well and Brake Duct
    Accessing the rear portion of the wheel wells is tough. I installed 2" Damplifer strips where possible.

Roof and Pillars
    Products: Damplifier, Overkill, Rattle Pad and felt strips

Damplifier and felt strips. One layer of Rattle Pad was installed inside the interior plastic trim.

Damplifier at roof. One layer of Overkill was installed on the back of the headliner.

Targa. Damplifier, Overkill Pro, small piece of Rattle Pad at center latch. A piece of Overkill was installed on the back of the headliner.

Adhesive felt at Targa latch spring.

Hatch Area (Not quite complete)
    Products: Damplifier and Overkill Pro

Hatch door received Dynamat Extreme and Rattle Pad on the interior plastic.

Front Wheel Wells
    Products: Damplifier

Damplifier applied to the inside of the inter fender.

The Doors
    Products: Damplifier and Overkill

Demo

Damplifer. Strips were installed behind the inter structure.

Overkill on door panel

This was a lot of work. I have not been able to drive the car much and still have a little work to do to complete the hatch area. Was it worth it? So far I would say yes and no. It has helped. I love the solid feel of the doors and being able to talk on the cell phone while on the freeway.
    Let me know if you have any questions
    Last edited by sparkboy; 03-23-2008 at 07:14 PM.

5. Remove Advertisements
    SupraForums.com
    Advertisements

Pimp of the Southeast
    wow, good work, but it seems like it probably added 100+ lbs of weight. I suppose it's a trade off.
    Allen C.

'97 Toyota Supra Single Turbo 6-Spd
    '99 Ferrari 360 Modena
    '06 Lexus IS350

[email protected]

100lbs easy. I used to be big into sound audio stuff and have delt with Anthony from Second Skin from the start. Great product and much better bang for the buck that all of the others out there. Looks good and your going to like how much noise it reduces.

SupraForums Member
    Nice work, how much sheets of each product did you order and use and after all that why not remove the dash and put some behind there. Nice job

SupraForums Member
    i remember doing a mustang in the black dynamate and it would smell in the heat of the summer like bad rubber. do you have the problem?

SupraForums Member
    looks light it will be a nice and quiet like a 2008 camry

SupraForums Member
    Sliding Sideways on the Yellow Brick Road!
    Very nice! So whats the final result? Nothing wrong with a Lexus type enviroment.
    Later,
    Scott

97 SC400 Supercharged, Getrag 6 speed, Quarter Master clutch, JIC magic, 20" work Rezax II , CCW classics for the strip! JIC FLT-A2, TT Brakes, BFI, S & S, 2 1/2" stainless, Magnaflow, 6 speed LSD, Recaro Leather seats, Matching rear leather, custom 2 tone interior. And so much more!
    Love it!

First, material quantity and added weight:
    Damplifier 70sf x .40lbs -5% waste =26.6lbs
    Rattle Pad 18sf x .079lbs -10% waste =1.27lbs
    Overkill 81sf x .13lbs - 15% waste = 8.95lbs
    Overkill Pro 41sf x .17lbs - 15% waste = 6.67lbs
    Heat Wave 9 sf x .25lbs - 15% waste = 1.91lbs
    TOTAL 45.4 lbs

Existing Dynamat (estimate) 8-9lbs

Maybe I will remove the spare tire, jack, wrench, and talk the girlfriend into loosing 10 lbs.

chnco, Thanks for the kind words. It has added weight but not 100 lbs. There is nothing light about a Supra. The car has been lightened a little by some of the mods like; single turbo, exhaust, coilovers, lw flywheel. This is not a drag car, auto-x car, road race car, audio showcase, or show car. It is somewhere in between and yes it is a trade off.

Smokey1226, I used the lightest products that Second Skin offered, and they are good products.

nyboostaholic, See above for material used. Someday the dash will come out, but I didn't have enough time, plus Toyota did an okay job on the firewall.

2jzrx7, Yes I have the same problem and will not use it again. The standard Dynamat seems to gas a little when hot.

twojayzed, The car is no where near a Camry, I love to hear the engine and exhaust.

scotturnot, Thanks! Nice Lexus BTW. They spend a lot more time on quiet comfort than the old Toyotas got. The results are a little mixed and not final because I still need to finish the hatch area. I say mixed because first of all my car is pretty loud, and second, the amount of work and blood loss put into this project was extensive. Has it met my goals of minimizing road noise? Maybe, it is a little early to tell, but it has helped.
    Last edited by sparkboy; 03-23-2008 at 08:35 PM.

SupraForums Member
    I did my rear hatch area in dynamat and didnt notice much help at all. Sound quaility did improve and I did locate some rattles etc that were reparied.

I was considering doing the floors etc this winter, but now Im glad I didnt.

Your work looks super neat, very impressive.

BP

Really nice job!!!

My car was noise dampened by a professional audio shop in spring 2007. Since I'm an audiophile and wanted it done properly, the car gained 260 pounds. Now I'm thinking I should remove some of it. Breaking distance is a joke now.

SupraForums Member
    Nice job with the install!!!! if it's not prying too much, about how much did you pay for all of the product and was that a "hook-up"??? Is there a reason you did the door panels and not the inside door shell???is there an advantage to that????

I love the weight savings idea...although if I asked my girl to lose 10 I'm sure I'de lose all 115 instead!!!

bpalmer21, I agree that just doing the hatch is beneficial for car audio. Fixing those rattles is a good thing too. If you do plan on doing the floor, set aside plenty of time for the project. Thanks for the kind words!

elari20, Thank you! The work on my car is nothing like a professional job that would have been done to your car. They would have sealed, covered and foamed everything, I let some of that stuff go. The Supra is a challenging platform for an audiophile, to do properly it would take 260lbs of materials and a Mercedes Benz Engineer.

mine4118, Thanks! I made many small orders trying to figure out what materials to use and have not totaled them up. I did not have a "hook up", but selected Second Skin because of their product selection. For the doors (keep in mind I probably know less about this that you) I decided to use Damplifier on the outer skin, Damplifier strips behind the inter structure and Overkill on the interior panel. A professional job like done on elari's car would have sealed the door, I was not willing to add the weight. I recommend you keep the 115 lbs.

Man...don't tell Theodore about this,,,he'd go crazy~! lol~

You make it look so professional. Have you done this before? Very well done, and I would agree that this must have taken hours. You will have to let us know where you gained the most reduction. I get a lot of general freeway noise specially on concrete freeways. The "sones" levels must be real high cause It is hard to have a conversation sometimes.

I wonder If I did just the floor areas if that would create the most road noise reduction? How much noise comes up through the wheel liners do you think? Never thought of wrapping the inside of those. Doing the doors is pretty good idea. I wouldnt think tho that the roof would help that much??

I would love to take a ride in your car if your done in time for the May meet coming up.

Stu

How much did the materials cost? Thats a clean install. How long did it take you to mock everything up, cut it out and install it?

Edison, New Jersey / Harvey Cedars, New Jersey
    wow great install, detailed pics, looks like it took a while but I'd love if the car was a bit quieter on the highway when cruising, i'm a big fan of lexus as well. 100 pounds is nothing considering the HP we have! good writeup

I did the inside of one of my cars with a product called "Quietcoat". I was skeptical of their claims, but by doing the trunk area, doors, and undercoating the car with it (you can spray it on) I had a reduction in 11dB in interior sound at a penalty of about 40 lbs. Not sure if the company is in business anymore though...
    Last edited by RRocket; 03-25-2008 at 12:10 PM.

Thats awesome. Let us know what you think once you get the hatch area finished. Also, do you have the under-hood insulation still? And did you do much near the front-seat footwells (the sides below the dash)?

Wow, what a great job. Quiet as a Lexus now. Hmmm maybe I should do my liner

Looks like from the pics, you scraped your original sound deadner off & replaced it with aftermarket? What are the benefits? Lighter and deadens sound/road noise better? Good job, keep us posted.

Stu,
    I will not tell Steve. Thank you, saying the work looks professional means a lot coming from you! I am handy and have done a little bit of a lot of things, but not much sound dampening work. My goal here was to help the road noise issue without adding a lot of weight.
    It is hard to say what one area if treated would provide the most gains. I originally thought the hatch and spare tire well was the biggest problem. What I learned by just doing this area with Dynamat was there was no noticeable reduction in road noise, it just appeared to be coming from another place. Look at it like soundproofing a recording studio but not installing a door.
    I know what you mean about the concrete freeways, it can be brutal and I doubt just doing the floor would fix that. I believe the wheel wells are a problem. Adding a damper to the wheel liner and the heat shield behind left rear tire helps with the tinkling rock sounds. The only gain from doing the roof is killing structure born vibrations. I added foam to the roof in hopes of absorbing some ambient noise.
    The car will be done, should be done this weekend. You are welcome to take a ride if you can deal with a lazy single turbo car.

ridah, I never totaled up the costs, but it took about three weeks or so off and on. Quite a bit of that time was waiting for more materials.

neonafk, Thanks! I added about 55 lbs if the math is right.

RRocket, Those are killer results! Second Skin offers some spray on products too.

spdu4ea, I will keep you posted. I still have the OEM hood insulation in place. In the foot wells I went to the OEM firewall mat.

TT Tercel, Thank you! Not a Lexus, like Stu said Supra's are nasty on concrete freeways. What liner are you thinking about doing?

talongvr4, I did not remove any of the factory dampening material, just went over the top of it. Doubled up in hopes for a quieter ride. Thank you and I will keep you posted.
    Last edited by sparkboy; 03-25-2008 at 11:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sparkboy View Post
    The only gain from doing the roof is killing structure born vibrations.
    Trust me, you'll notice a big difference when it starts to rain Before dampening, I wasn't able to speak with the passenger when raindrops hit the car. It just a single layer of aluminium which acts like a big drum.

SupraForums Member
    Another way to dampen resonance and noise is to fill all hollow cavaties with great stuff spray foam from Home Depot. A pillar, B pillar, etc. will benefit from this. Many german cars add this type of product during production. One note of caution: when the stuff dries it is virtually impossible to get off of vinyl, carpet, etc. It will work its way out of little holes and gaps, so make sure you put masking tape over these and remove interior or place plastic under area where you are working. The stuff is only $5 per can and adds very little weight.

elari, The car doesn't see much rain but I know what you are saying.

Pagstturbo, I am sure filling all the voids helps a lot, but keep Great Stuff away from my car! That stuff is so messy.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

List your Car(s)

Where you live

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Your Supra's Vehichle Identification Number (Not visible to the public)

Log-in