My Sound Dampening Project - Page 3

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: My Sound Dampening Project

Quote Originally Posted by neloner View Post
    Nice job, I covered my tranny tunnel with a similar product after installing a lwfw and it made a noticable difference in noise. I'm sure your car is very nice a quiet now, probably feels a lot more "solid" too.
    Thanks neloner.

Yes it does feel a lot more solid.
    Scott

'98 6-Speed
    Garrett GT 4088R
    HKS GT Header
    HKS GT Wastegate
    HKS F-Con V-Pro
    1000cc Fuel System
    ETS 3-Row Intercooler
    HRE 545's
    HKS Hipermax RS Coilovers
    Veilside Titanium

2. Remove Advertisements
    SupraForums.com
    Advertisements

IG UPDATES @ #BADMTHRFUKR Daniel's Avatar
    This is an awesome Thread!! The detail in work is amazing. I would luv to do something as extreme as this but the time and money is outta reach at the moment.I am doing the floor board,tunnel and firewall to reduce alil noise but Mainly to reduce Heat.
    Project: BADMTHRFUKR by OCDWORKS =OCD CNC Race Head, Big Port Hypertune Intake Mani 102mm TB, Veilside TITANIUM exhaust, OCD Polished TITANIUM Long Rods w/625 Bolts, OCD Custom 10.5.1 JE Pistons, JUN 272 10.8 Lift Cams, 2150cc FIC Injectors, WELDON 2345 External Fuel Pump, 2-NX Carbon Fiber Bottles for 100 Shot Wet Kit & FMIC Sprayer, TRD Diff w/ OCD Billet Diff Cover, DSS Pro-Series 3.5'' Chromoly DS, 15" WELD RTS Wheels 325/50/15 MT Drag Radials,18" HRE Wheels BF Drag Radials for Street. Follow My Build on INSTAGRAM @BADMTHRFUKR

SupraForums Member
    This is something I'd like to do during the winter. Not in a big scale like this, but atleast cover the trunk, rear seat area, rear wheel wells and doors. I hate the interior sound I get at 65mph, you'll have to raise your voice to talk to the passenger.

5. Remove Advertisements
    SupraForums.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel View Post
    This is an awesome Thread!! The detail in work is amazing. I would luv to do something as extreme as this but the time and money is outta reach at the moment.I am doing the floor board,tunnel and firewall to reduce alil noise but Mainly to reduce Heat.
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Krister View Post
    This is something I'd like to do during the winter. Not in a big scale like this, but atleast cover the trunk, rear seat area, rear wheel wells and doors. I hate the interior sound I get at 65mph, you'll have to raise your voice to talk to the passenger.
    Yes, a good wintertime project.

excellent!

SupraForums Member
    Sparkboy, I believe you did a clean job on your Supra, BUT...I honestly believe you spent too much effort and money on this project and could have achieved much more for a little over half the price using Second Skin.

I am currently in the middle of the same project. I think what would have been best for you is if you had sprayed second skin Spectrum in the ENTIRE wheel well areas, UNDER the car, AND the interior of the car. Then layer the interior with damplifier on top of the spectrum so that you "sandwich" the sheet metal of the car. Then you would be as quiet as a Camry lol as someone mentioned earlier in this thread.

But regardless, your work looks very professional. Great job. And thank you for providing pictures. Very helpful!

SupraForums Member
    Reviving an old thread here as I am looking to swap my interior to black and this caught my attention.

SupraRunner93 - how did your project ever turn out with using spectrum?

I remember during a heat transfer class at UW in 2007, we had a presentation from some starting company on a spray-on thin layered insulation they had developed. They used this stuff to insulate cars, as well as insulate water-holding tanks over in Iraq (this is the only example I remember that stuck in my head 4 years ago lol). I emailed my old professor to see if he remembers this company's name. If I do hear anything, I'll do a little research and chime in what I find.

But this "spectrum" stuff sounds a lot like what I am looking for. Would be interested to hear some results people have after using this stuff.

cheers
    -Anders

1997 6spd Supra Turbo. New stock shortblock, street port/polished head, HKS264, Ferrea valvetrain, GT28 Hybrid turbos

My for-sale thread, leftover parts from my build:
    https://www.supraforums.com/forum/sho...light=leftover

My roommate's 1997 Supra TT 6pd for-sale (BPU):
    https://www.supraforums.com/forum/sho...-133-XXX-miles.

hi,
    i seem to have an issue regarding a noise at the very rear of my vehicle. the noise is a rattle/vibration and it occurs when i go over the slightest imperfection on a road (which is quite often since there are few "perfect" roads). at first i thought it might be a bushing problem but it seems as though it is coming from the very rear of the interior. i was hoping that it would be a simple fix like perhaps removing the targa top holders in the back because they seem quite loose but im not sure that is the problem. i also have a complete audio system and it might be moving within the tiny crevices of the trunk but i doubt it is that either because my system is quite solid. i was wondering if my problem is more related to this thread? i was looking at another thread on the forum about a similar problem that is fixed by replacing the hatch rubber stoppers, but their problem seem to only occur at 2800-3500rpm whereas the noise i hear happens regardless of rpm. can anyone help me get an idea of what it could be? or has anyone had a similar issue?
    thank you very much

-samo

SupraForums Member Evolved 6-speed's Avatar
    This really should be stickied.

Totally forgot about this thread.

awesome work!!!

SupraForums Member
    Here is the contact my old prof gave to me for that spray-insulation I referred to in my post above:

Rich Kraft
    Capstone Mfg.
    18225 47th PL NE
    Seattle, WA. 98155
    USA
    phn 206 363 5010
    fax 206 364 5183

- Show quoted text -
    A. F. Emery Professor of Mechanical Engineering and
    Adjunct Professor of Architecture and Industrial Engineering

I am going to contact this Capstone Mfg. group. But this would be something I want to use as a noise insulator and not a vibration dampener. After researching secondskinaudio I see that "spectrum" is supposed to dampen vibrations in the sheetmetal of your car.

I also want to first try spraying my wheel wells with this "spectrum" product before doing any work inside the vehicle. I would like to see how much this reduces road noise transmitted from the wheels. Just need to get some time to try it out.

Has anybody used Spectrum on their wheel wells before?

cheers
    -Anders

Nice, did it take long time to "install"?

SupraForums Member
    Quote Originally Posted by afkukuk View Post
    Here is the contact my old prof gave to me for that spray-insulation I referred to in my post above:

Rich Kraft
    Capstone Mfg.
    18225 47th PL NE
    Seattle, WA. 98155
    USA
    phn 206 363 5010
    fax 206 364 5183

- Show quoted text -
    A. F. Emery Professor of Mechanical Engineering and
    Adjunct Professor of Architecture and Industrial Engineering

I am going to contact this Capstone Mfg. group. But this would be something I want to use as a noise insulator and not a vibration dampener. After researching secondskinaudio I see that "spectrum" is supposed to dampen vibrations in the sheetmetal of your car.

I also want to first try spraying my wheel wells with this "spectrum" product before doing any work inside the vehicle. I would like to see how much this reduces road noise transmitted from the wheels. Just need to get some time to try it out.

Has anybody used Spectrum on their wheel wells before?

cheers
    -Anders

http://www.capstonemfg.com/default.htm

SupraForums Member
    So Rich emailed me back. Here you go:

Anders,

You weren’t one of those guys in the back of the class laughing at me were you? I was nervous that day.

Yes, by all means. We actually market our product under 2 names; TC Ceramic, for industrial applications, (about 98% of our business), and CoolCar Ceramic, for the street rod market. It’s used mostly on the firewall and headliner as a thermal barrier, but it’s also used on the door panels and trunk areas for acoustical insulation. The coating absorbs just about any type of energy, whether its heat or force or sound.

Thanks

Rich

Here is the site for CoolCar ceramic.

http://www.coolcarceramic.com/about_us.htm

I would be interested to research this company a bit more before I start sound-deadening my car.

SupraForums Member
    Nice work man.
    93 Baltic Blue (6spd) hardtop - PT6870 - 10.1CR - E85 - AEM Infinity - 950hp/840tq @ 35psi - 3000lbs
    97 White SC300

Thanks guys!

nice work man job well done keep it up

Nice Project as everyone has said. Please consider changing your front BFG KDW tires. They were too damn loud for me. I swapped mine out for a pair of Michelin Pilot Super Sport on the front and road noise is significantly down.

94 6MT, GTX4088R, AEM v2, GSC S2, Stage 3 Head, 10:1 3.4L,
    RPS CC Twin, ID2000, E85. 968WHP-883WTQ, ALPHA Tuned.
    Subscribe:https://www.youtube.com/user/FZSMonty Instagram: SupraLife_3.4

Coming from a degree'd sound engineer, anyone considering doing this look into MLV (Mass Loaded Vinyl) it is the thinnest material that has the highest DB reduction of any currently available material at over 40db STC rated. I have personally seen over 73db if coupled with lightweight concrete or high density foam. Mass kills sound, and seals kill sound.

Article explaining this here: https://www.soundaway.com/mass-loade...rrier-s/31.htm

Article generally explaining sound proofing: https://acousticalsolutions.com/soun...king-proofing/

There is nothing including any dynamat products that perform like MLV. It is heavy but it absolutely works and is only 2mm thick. They have 1#(lb) thinner versions for flexible areas and roof and 2# for floors and wheel wells. I second that poster talking about the spray foam in hollow cavities. Also not mentioned, If you put a 3" thick foam ring around your wheels inside your tires that will drop road noise by over 6db as well. I have a degree in engineering and design studios so I am aware of materials at certain frequencies will do what. The only thing that will work is attention to ALL of it. Half done, half addressed applications you are wasting every dime of your money doing this, don't even take it on unless you are going for all of it like the OP has. I also second the opinion about BFG being louder than all other brands. I switched from BFG SS to Michelin AS3+ and it was over 6db just from Michelins no foam in the tire.

One more thing not mentioned, you may want to look at your weatherstripping, because sound is air, if there is air gaps in your doors, and firewall, hatch, targa, gas tank, EACH leak can drop your car's STC insulation rating by over 20db. In a studio, ONE single leak will ruin the sound isolation by 20db or so depending how big it is... Just remember this, SOUND is AIR. Seal for air you seal for sound. Just going around your bare interior with a caulk gun will do wonders. Seal every orifice and crack. Cheap and easy to do. Replace worn weatherstripping, have a body shop adjust panels that don't make contact. How you know when you are there; when you close your door the cabin will pressurize a little bit.

Another cheap trick is high density polystyrene or Visco foam green glued to MLV. Rolls Royce used both of these techniques in the new Phantom with a 5db improvement over the old Phantom.

You can also paint LINEX or bed liner inside the wheel wells on the metal above the liners. I would put MLV there and coat it if I was doing it. The less sound that gets into the cabin, the less you have to keep from coming in with interior deadening.

One last trick that works and is lightweight, is having the MLV coupled with something soft foam to another layer of MLV to create Hard to soft to hard decoupler. It is hard for sound to transmit through a dense material, go through an absorbing soft material then go through a dense material again so on and so forth... The energy is shed in the layers of hard and soft a bit more than just mass or just absorbing. This is typically not effective or used for studios, because we usually have huge space to deal with, but cars do not have the luxury of 1 foot thick wall gaps to increase the STC rating.

I would make a 2# MLV wall around the whole wheel well on the inside sealed behind the suspension. I would also make a flat bottom removable panel with a sheet of 2# MLV glued to it to improve aero and drop the noise of the road. You will have to ventilate, heat shield and take care that you don't let the exhaust touch anything, I'd probably wrap it all the way back to the canister. No fires lol.

Just giving you ammo to plan out your future builds as mild or wild as you want.
    Last edited by SUPRAT; 08-09-2018 at 09:36 AM.
    2000 4Runner Limited V6 4X4
    1992 Lexus SC400
    2010 Jaguar XFR

-"The problem with quotes on the internet is it is hard to verify their authenticity"- Abraham Lincoln

I noticed the rear vents were covered. Where were you venting the cabin to? I think a lot of us recall seeing the door fly off at speed on another car. And many have had this happen on Lexus vehicles that taped the vents closed because of exhaust fumes. I'm just curious if you've done anything to vent the cabin. As a pilot I can just imagine the ∆P in the cabin at higher speeds with outside air selected.

I left the rear vents open, as designed and lined the fender sheet metal and the whole combination has been a tremendous improvement. Very low undesired noises and heat, and all the good stuff.

Just my $0.02
    The Original MKIV Supra Owners Group
    ^Click the name to join, & inbox me to be approved^

Jason Leonard

Current:
    95 Supra NA->USDM GTE/V160, Twin GTX2971R, HKS manifolds & DPs & Super Dragger, Infinity, Bosch 2200, Radium, Walbro 525s, RPS Triple, OS Giken LSD, Tein Flex Z w/EDFC, SRT8 Brembo BBK, SSR GT03, built & tuned right here

95 Supra GTE/V160 - Gutted+Caged Road Racing Beast - 6766, Veilside exh, V2, Spec Twin, 044s, fuel cell, fire suppression, cust susp, CCW 17x10.5x11.5, Ivan's build

Past:
    94TT/V160 donor car RIP
    97TT/V160 RR 808rwhp
    94TT/V160 RR
    95NA/Auto PW
    98TT/Auto IJM
    97TT/V160 SW w/ 213,000 miles RIP

Quote Originally Posted by TheProPilot View Post
    I noticed the rear vents were covered. Where were you venting the cabin to? I think a lot of us recall seeing the door fly off at speed on another car. And many have had this happen on Lexus vehicles that taped the vents closed because of exhaust fumes. I'm just curious if you've done anything to vent the cabin. As a pilot I can just imagine the ∆P in the cabin at higher speeds with outside air selected.

I left the rear vents open, as designed and lined the fender sheet metal and the whole combination has been a tremendous improvement. Very low undesired noises and heat, and all the good stuff.

Just my $0.02
    Vent is open. My doors wouldn't close with out it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

List your Car(s)

Where you live

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Your Supra's Vehichle Identification Number (Not visible to the public)

Log-in