Supra Forums banner

My Sound Dampening Project

66K views 77 replies 56 participants last post by  97SupraTT 
#1 · (Edited)
This winter I decided to try and fix a couple issues with the car that I really didn't like; interior rattles, road noise, and heat off the transmission tunnel. By no means is my intent to create a Lexus type environment, but with crappy roads, coilovers, lowering, and wide 18" tires the road noise has become obnoxious. Here is my story.

The car:

Last Years ITS 60-1
1998 Toyota Supra 6-Speed (as of 3/5/08)

Engine Bay:
Garrett GT-4088R turbo
HKS Exhaust Manifold
HKS GT Wastegate
PHR 3" Downpipe
PHR Intake
ETS 3 Row Intercooler
RREV Motorsports 1000 cc Fuel System w/ Dual Denso Pumps
Titan Motorsports Line Lock
TRD Strut Bar
MVP Motorsports Cooling Plate
MVP Turbo Blanket

Transmission:
Stock
RPS Carbon-Carbon Twin Disk Clutch w/ extra rattle

Electronics:
HKS F-Con V-Pro Engine Management
Blitz SBC-iD Boost Controller
Blitz Turbo Timer

Performance:
Veilside TI Exhaust

Suspension:
HKS Hypermax Rs Coilovers

Wheels & Tires:
HRE 545's 18x10 and 18x9
BF Goodrich KDW2's

Exterior:
Stock

Interior:
TRD 10k Tachometer
AEM Wide band
Pioneer AVIC-D3 Stereo w/ IPod

The Demolition:

The Dynomat pictured in the hatch area was installed a few years ago in an attempt to eliminate some road noise. It did little if anything.

Products: Second Skin Audio (Thanks for all the help)
Damplifier
Overkill
Overkill Pro
Heat Wave
Rattle Pad

The Transmission Tunnel
Products: Damplifier & Heat Wave

One layer of Damplifier and Heat Wave.

Completed

The Floor Pan
Products: Damplifier, Overkill, & Overkill Pro

Damplifer

Damplifer II

First Layer Overkill Pro

Second Layer Overkill Pro

Third Layer Overkill

Complete

The Back Seat
Products: Existing Dynamat, Damplifer, Overkill, and Overkill Pro in wheel wells

Seat Pan w/ Damplifier and Dynamat

See less See more
#28 ·
If you could relate this to a percentage of noise drop, where would you put it?
Anything above a 20% noise level drop I might consider doing this next winter. I think what you have detailed should be good enough to follow.

I am not familiar with any of these materials except the name dynomat. Could you provide us maybe with links on where to get all of those ingredients?

Stu

#29 ·
Right on! I vote for a sticky. What was the accurate weight you added to the car. Just a thought if I'd scrape the factory sound deadner (is it worth it?) & replaced with dynamat or similar products you mentioned will yield better results in noise & weight reduction, or should I leave the factory. Also where do you think are the crucial areas that is needed to be address. I'm seriously considering doing this as well as I hear alot of road & wind noise and especially by just removing the rear upper seats makes it worse.

Mark
93.5 MKIV TT Auto BPU+++
92 GVR4 #208
92 Talon 476 AWHP SOLD
04 FXT

#31 ·
Damn Scott looks good, I thought you were joking when you told me that you hated rattles :)

If you are ever looking to get rid of your car LET ME KNOW. It is just about perfect in every way... GT40R, amazing paint, and now Lexus quiet interior. Can't get much better than that!

#33 ·
I think you have done a great job. I hate how many rattles/ squeaks I get from the rear of the car, especially from the coilovers. When I get the time I will definitely be doing something like this.

I think this is where a TON of noise enters our car. Have you ever thought about putting some type of insulation in the cavity? I saw somebody on the nissan boards put insulation simlular to what they use in houses in the cavity and they said it dropped road noise considerably. It is also very light so there would be no negative effects of trying it. This is the area I am talking about below.

#35 · (Edited)
I completed a similar project like this late last summer.
I used BQuiet Ultimate to cover the floors, trunk, etc.
(see my post in this thread: http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=433558&highlight=dynamat+under+carpet)

It reduced exhaust noise greatly, but not so much of the road noise...I think the tire tread design of my BFG KDs may have a lot to do with it.

Personally, I think the OP's project is a bit of overkill.
Sound level (dB) is measured on a logarithmic scale, so to get even a 1 dB drop in sound level is quite an accomplishement.
I definitely think there are "bang for the buck" areas for noise reduction material placement. Obviously, the stock locations are some. Looking at some of the newer Toyotas, sound deadening material is placed on the inner surface of the wheel wells. And, thicker glass is used for the winshield/windows. It'd be interesting if someone on here would like to put together some data by measuring interior dB in increments of sound deadening material (+ location) applied.

#36 ·
Thats a true designation to sound noise dampening. Looks like you really had it and you went above and beyond. Most, like myself will have done just basic interior. Great job considering its time consuming & very neat. GL with it

#38 · (Edited)
Stu, it is very hard to provide a percentage of reduction, but maybe:
Exhaust -25%
Engine -10%
Smooth Asphalt -15%
Average Asphalt -10%
Old Concrete -8%

All of the products came from secondskinaudio.com

talongvr4, Never had the car on a scale. Decided to leave the factory material in place, I assume Toyota Engineers selected these locations for a reason. There was no factory material installed on the floor of my car, they cut back in '98
The critical areas seem to be wheel wells, floor and back seat waterfall.

RemixPinoY, Thank you! The audiophiles give me crap for not doing enough.

Brian R., Thanks for the kind words! I do suffer with a little O.C.D, rattles being one of the issues.
I think I'll keep the car, besides a HP God like you would have no use for it except driving the kids to ice skating lessons or something.
I cannot thank you enough for all of the help.

exvelocity, Thanks!

cwtt, Thank you. I covered just the wheel well and brake duct with Overkill Pro. The audiophiles would probably fill this area.

95blacksupra, Thanks. Just prepare to bleed.

ACEspiritu, Your work looks great! I also run the BFG KD's, maybe it is just the tires! :) Did you use any foam or just a dampener?

RikTT, Thank you. It is very time consuming.

akeosh, You are right! :)

#46 ·
I wrapped up my entire exhaust (Veilside Teardrop TI) with Thermo-Tec and noise lessened, especially trailing-throttle boom but the noise changed into something more annoying but less loud lol

TI is finicky to mess with I guess.

#50 ·
how did you do this? pics?

#52 ·
This is an awesome Thread!! The detail in work is amazing. I would luv to do something as extreme as this but the time and money is outta reach at the moment.I am doing the floor board,tunnel and firewall to reduce alil noise but Mainly to reduce Heat.

#54 ·
Thank you!

This is something I'd like to do during the winter. Not in a big scale like this, but atleast cover the trunk, rear seat area, rear wheel wells and doors. I hate the interior sound I get at 65mph, you'll have to raise your voice to talk to the passenger.
Yes, a good wintertime project.