Has anyone upgraded to 5x7 speakers in the rear?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Has anyone upgraded to 5x7 speakers in the rear?

Fast Ca$h

Has anyone upgraded to 5x7 speakers in the rear?

I've heard it is possible to install 5x7 in the rear locations while still using the factory grills. Has anyone had any success doing this? Does it involve fabricating a new speaker bracket or just modifying the old one? Are there any other sizes that I can fit in there that might sound a little better than the stock 4x6's? Its time to upgrade and I want to consider all my options.

2. Remove Advertisements
    SupraForums.com
    Advertisements

Upgrading the rears to anything will require a modification of the stock brackets.

I basically hacked mine up and was able to get everything to fit... kind of a pain.

You'll see what I mean when you pull the speaker and bracket.

1996 Supra twin turbo SupraRacer007's Avatar
    I have Infinity 4x6 plates in the rear speaker locations. With a sub to back them up, they sound just fine.

Easy install too.

Stephen - 1996 Supra turbo - some info on my Supra and photos

5. Remove Advertisements
    SupraForums.com
    Advertisements

Square
    Originally posted by SupraRacer007
    I have Infinity 4x6 plates in the rear speaker locations. With a sub to back them up, they sound just fine.

Easy install too.
    My setup is similar to his. Stock 3" size in the front, and 4X6 in the rear with a Fosgate 12 in the back and Fosgate Amp driving all of it. The only shortcoming I have noticed is that the system is weak in the low mids (about 200hz-500hz), so the warmth isn't really there like I would like it to be. I will probably replace the 4X6's and see if it helps.

Fast Ca$h
    Originally posted by quick
    Upgrading the rears to anything will require a modification of the stock brackets.

I basically hacked mine up and was able to get everything to fit... kind of a pain.

You'll see what I mean when you pull the speaker and bracket.
    So you got 5x7's to fit with some cutting? Did you just cut the bracket in half and bend it open some, or did you have to remove large portions of it? You wouldn't have any pictures would you?

TheFlamingKoosh
    I have Infinity 3.5" in the front, those were a BITCH to take out and put back in... they didn't quite fit, but a little reworking made it all good...

I also put in Infinity 5X7's in the back, with NO modifying to the brackets, I just let the speakers sit on top of them, with no factory grill, and they sound pretty good too...

Originally posted by Fast Ca$h
    So you got 5x7's to fit with some cutting? Did you just cut the bracket in half and bend it open some, or did you have to remove large portions of it? You wouldn't have any pictures would you?
    I had to cut the shit out of the brackets. I wanted to make it look nice, so I had to get the speaker to sit a lot lower in order to fit the stock grills...

No pics, sorry. There's no methodology -- just cut until it fits.

re: speakers fitment

Well, I added 4" speakers to the front and 5x7's in the back. This required me to make custom mounting brackets for both locations. If you want something simple and painless, Crutchfield sells a bracket for the back of our cars that will fit either 4x6" speaker, or a 4" (diameter) speaker. Both are kinda small, but it's suppose to be a direct replacement deal. If you want something loud and high quality, it's gonna involve alot of blood, sweat and tears to get it to fit (believe me, I know).

Azn86mkii
    oh boy, its a pain in the ass putting 5x7 at the back. i try cutting the bracket in half, bend this, bend that... but can't seem to put the orignal cover to mount in place... i was slow, been doing that for the past 1-2 hours

so i go back to the place and exchange a 4x6 for the back. Boy, less than 1/2 hour, everything done. secret? i just place the speaker on top and use cable tighener or the strip, just to hold the 4 corners in place. they are very tight... very nice and clean...

and for the front were the 3.5" speakers, fit perfectly, except for some modify... use some old computer parts. it helps.

I have tried Rockford for front and rear, first it sound awesome, everything is so clear and clean, very nice tremble, but notice that they suck in bass.

So i refunded the pairs and got myself the Infinity's front and rear. they are very nice, got the sound i wanted, still satisfied with it.

1996 Supra twin turbo SupraRacer007's Avatar
    I put Infinity 4x6 plates in the rear locations, on top of the brackets...and the factory covers fit nicely over the top of them.

In front, I put Infinity 3 1/2 separates in the stock locations. Fabricated brackets out of aluminum, to "float" the tweeter in front of the midrange speaker. Sounds nice, and it's a cool install too...factory cover fits over it nice.

I put a sub in the back, driven off a second Rockford Fosgate amplifier...and the system sounds nice, tight and smooth.

Fast Ca$h
    Thanks for the tips guys. I went ahead with the install this weekend and just like you all warned it involved a lot of cutting, bending and drilling. I removed the rear brackets and basically had to shorten them in order for the Infinity 5x7's to fit under the grill. I cut the vertical portion in half and re-drilled the holes on the side close to the windows. It dropped the bracket down by about 3/4 of an inch which was just enough.

What was even more difficult was installing the 3 1/2 inch speakers in the stock front locations. I had to practically dismember those poor little 3 inch speaker brackets and created new brackets out of metal "L" brackets. They are kinda "floating" in there without the nice fit of the stock bracket but they sound pretty good anyway.

Next step: replace the head unit. Hopefully this won't be as much of a hack job Anyone got any tips for that?

head unit replacement is utter simplicity. get a wiring harness and solder away.

Don't cut the surround piece.

re: Head Unit

Yes, replacing the head unit is alot easier, but as Quick mentioned do not remove your your factory wiring harness. Instead there are companies out there (Metra is one I think) that sell aftermarket harnesses that plug into your factory Toyota one, then you simply solder to it afterwards. That way should you ever sell your car, or replace the head unit you don't have a butchered factory harness to contend with afterwards.

Re: re: Head Unit

Originally posted by Crocket
    That way should you ever sell your car, or replace the head unit you don't have a butchered factory harness to contend with afterwards.
    I can attest to the pain of the butchered harness.

The stupid previous owner had a stereo installed by some fool that cut up the stock harness... all kinds of bad connections resulted and I ended up resoldering everything back together and getting a wiring harness. Much cleaner.

In short -- it pays to do it right.

I love your avatar, Crocket. :bthumb:

Azn86mkii
    oh, 1 thing after the installation, if your deck doesn't seem to work, check your horn then check the fuse. Some how the horn is connected to the unit.

I'm trying to a 6x9 in the back of my supra any suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by Grig26 View Post
    I'm trying to a 6x9 in the back of my supra any suggestions
    Not going to fit. At least you searched, but holy 17 year bump.

1997 RSP/Black Hardtop 6 Speed Proefi
    2018 Infiniti Q60 TT

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

List your Car(s)

Where you live

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Your Supra's Vehichle Identification Number (Not visible to the public)

Log-in