Clutch for 700-900rwhp?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 23 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Clutch for 700-900rwhp?

Clutch for 700-900rwhp?

First off, I have searched many times and the forums keeps messing up and showing blank white pages (already reported by other members here: https://www.supraforums.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=501894)

First off I want to go ahead and ask you guys who are running RPS clutches (non C/C) if you are aware of any issues on your personal car? I know the Carbon-Carbon is known to destroy some bellhousings in it's time. I am almost afraid of going with an RPS clutch due to the horror stories that have recently been popping up.... which now confuses me.

What clutches are you guys running that are making anywhere from the 700-900 range, how many miles on the clutch setup, and last and foremost do you daily drive the car? On some weeks I get happy and daily my car to and from work and sometimes even take it out on 600 mile road trips.

I personally do not like the on/off feel of a clutch. Looking for something smooth and reliable for the type of driving that I do (daily/trips). Thank you guys ahead of time.

Kirk
    Kirk - 95 Hardtop
    BL375R, AEM V2, Hypertune, HKS 272, FIC2150

EMAIL ME, KIRK(AT)THEBOOSTLAB.COM

2. Remove Advertisements
    SupraForums.com
    Advertisements

I too would like to get some input on this as I am also trying to stay away from the rps c/c

2004 Black Twin Turbo Viper
    2009 Black Prius Racecar
    1995 Black 6 Speed
    1998 Imperial Jade Mica Auto 1 of 10 RIP

Edison, New Jersey / Harvey Cedars, New Jersey
    thid this.. i want to see someone who has used the Carbonetic C/C clutch., tilton is a tad too expensive for my likings

2012 Infiniti G37x, Fast Intentions High Flow Resonated Cats, K&N Short Tube Intakes (13.9 @ 100)
    2011 BMW 335i x Drive, JB4, Vishnu Catted Downpipe, JB Intake- 12.2 @ 111 (n55 e90 record) (SOLD)
    1994 Toyota Supra TT 6-Spd, Baltic Blue, Targa Top, 1203rwhp / 900rwtq @ 29 psi(SOLD)

5. Remove Advertisements
    SupraForums.com
    Advertisements

SupraForums Member damianhindley's Avatar
    I have a horse power freaks freamic, is great if your an amazing driver, if not its jerk city
    1994 Red TT

How about the RPS triple ?

Quote Originally Posted by damianhindley View Post
    I have a horse power freaks freamic, is great if your an amazing driver, if not its jerk city
    +1

Also have the HPF Feramic setup with ACT pressure plate and although it is streetable and DOES hold the power, it is a bit rough. Great clutch for the money though! My .02

Car has trapped 138 in the 1/4 and this clutch has been in the car for 3 years now and roughly 4000 miles.
    Greg
    GJK Photography
    1993.5 APU Hardtop 6-speed (sold 9/7/12)
    2008 Acura TL-S Carbon Bronze Pearl
    PS3 Username - Suprahuman
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am trying to find something a little more on the smooth side Either way I will check out the specs on the HPF clutch right now.

Blog Entries
    Kirk. You may want to look into the OS Giken quadruple plate. I spoke to Ken Henderson and a couple others about it. They all had nothing but good to say about it. Fairly priced from what I heard as well

FUCK JDM
    Quote Originally Posted by Boostrush View Post
    +1

Also have the HPF Feramic setup with ACT pressure plate and although it is streetable and DOES hold the power, it is a bit rough. Great clutch for the money though! My .02

Car has trapped 138 in the 1/4 and this clutch has been in the car for 3 years now and roughly 4000 miles.

Yeh them RPS C/C stories are enough to scare me away as well

Looking at HPF Feramic Clutch, price def. seems the cheapest to hold a Big Single "This is the highest horsepower holding (and record holding 9.68 @ 152mph pass) single disk clutch available for the MKIV Supra. This single disk clutch has held over 1000rwhp Supras with ease has never been fused and has superior longevity."

wonder if all that is true ^

also has anyone used the OS Giken R Type Quadruple Disk ($2400) or Triple Disk? and your experience w/ it compared to others
    Last edited by x X CLoud X x; 07-30-2008 at 10:32 PM.

id like to here more about this Giken Quad clutch

How much power does the OS Giken R Type Quadruple Disk hold??? It does not state on HPF's website. Price is not bad

SupraForums Member
    Quote Originally Posted by neonafk View Post
    thid this.. i want to see someone who has used the Carbonetic C/C clutch., tilton is a tad too expensive for my likings
    I would also like to get a review on Carbonetic/ATS carbon-carbon

SupraForums Member
    We've been putting OS Giken clutches in high HP 3s's recently. The build quality is very, very good. THey are also seriously underrated on purpose, fwiw.

Ian

SupraForums Member
    rps c/c clutch is a strapless billet piece now. I have used it for over 4 months now and its amaizing!

My old c/c was fine as well, its all in how you drive

but you can be sure the new c/c is the best for the money, go to rps website, and it tells all about the new design

SupraForums Member
    so did RPS redesign the C/C ?

Boost Addict
    Any single puck clutch has the possibility of fusing to the flywheel if your doing serious drag racing, pass after pass. Pedal pressure will always be very high as the pressure plates are ground down to get more clamping force for the single disk setup. I have an RPS Stage 3 in my car, fidanza wheel. It holds the power no problem at all but I dont drag race, mostly street driving. It works and its relatively cheap, no issues other than possible fusing and a very heavy pedal.

If I were to go with another clutch setup it would be the Tilton, period. There is no other clutch out there with the same capabilities, record and light as hell pedal pressure (other than stock ). Im sorry, but if Im going to pay 3k for a clutch, it better stand up to WHATEVER I throw at it, if it doesn't I cannot see the justification in spending 3k on an inferior product. Cough cough... rps cc... cough cough.

IF/When my current RPS goes, a Tilton will be going in next...
    Last edited by bimmerfreak 555; 07-31-2008 at 05:21 AM.

SupraForums Member
    in for more info on the os giken quad clutch... i think thats what ken h runs in his 1100whp car but then again he doesnt drag race so who knows how long it will hold under those conditions?

I have the horse power freaks feramic also. Its been great so far. 500-700RWHP

I currently have the Exedy triple on my car (Got it that way) and it is very hard for me to get the car moving without trying to over-rev (Only had my car for a week now) with ~950WHP. I did however have the OS Giken twin on my Stealth TT and I liked it. Held the power and could easily be slipped and was very easy to operate. I know it's not enough information for what we are looking for as far as the Supra goes, but I like their product FWIW. Chris.

SupraForums Member CrackerJackToy's Avatar
    950whp, your going to have to sacrifice some drivability lol...

I drive my car mainly on the street with an RPS Carbon Carbon. My only complaint is slipping the clutch out of 1st gear to get the car moving. Once the car is moving, the RPS is fantastic. When I drive any manual car, I hate excessive slipping the clutch in 1st gear. Unfortunately, I can’t MY RPS Carbon Carbon like that. It grabs so hard unless you slip it from 2500 rpms, it’s going to jerk the shit out of you and make you look like a newb stick driver or you’re going to kill the car and even if you do slip it nice, it still vibrates and shakes.

I know people say it’s a loud clutch but it chatters so hard sometimes I feel like the tranny is going to fall out from under the car. However…I have driven the SP sequential car that supposedly has the RPS Carbon Carbon in it and it feels like I’m driving a stock supra. No chatter, no noise, and requires very minimum slip like a stock clutch. Parin (pineapple monkey) has driven my car and claims that something is wrong with my clutch and his Carbon Carbon doesn’t drive like mine. Just recently the clutch is making a slight metal on metal rubbing noise just as the car starts to move out of 1st. The sound is not evident in any other gear, only 1st.

Even with all the recent complaints with the Carbon Carbon clutches there are still a lot of good reviews to be said about this clutch including myself (unless it catastrophically fails). This clutch has been proven time after time to hold a large amount of horsepower and be able to withstand a large amount of abuse.
    Last edited by Snacks; 08-04-2008 at 07:50 AM.

Sold - 1997 Jewel Green 6 Speed - 835rwhp

SupraForums Member
    The main problem for me is that you are buying a clutch from a company that repeatedly does not stand behind their product. I can tell you first hand that I've tried to send back in customers' (multiple) 2500 dollar clutches only to have them tell us that we installed them improperly. We've done hundreds of clutches and while everyone makes mistakes, are quite confident that our "improper installation" did not cause the pucks to fall out of the disk, or carbon plates to separate.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by bimmerfreak 555 View Post

If I were to go with another clutch setup it would be the Tilton, period. There is no other clutch out there with the same capabilities, record and light as hell pedal pressure (other than stock ). Im sorry, but if Im going to pay 3k for a clutch, it better stand up to WHATEVER I throw at it, if it doesn't I cannot see the justification in spending 3k on an inferior product. Cough cough... rps cc... cough cough.

IF/When my current RPS goes, a Tilton will be going in next...
    That is true, however, there are mixed reviews on the street drivability (sp?) of it. From my observation when others have driven their car with a Tilton, its difficult to slip it easily out of first gear without the car either shutting off, shaking, jerking, etc. I may be wrong, but that's what I gathered. It also may be due to the person not having been used to it.

I was set on getting the RPS CC because of its very light pedal pressure, easy drivablility and ability to withstand quite a but of power until recently when all these failures/problems/incidents arose. That is sad that RPS blamed the issues on improper installation rather than the fact of it being a faulty product.

After all this, my main curiosities concern the daily drivability (slipping and pedal pressure) as well as the HP rating of the OS Giken. Also, am I incorrect on what Ive observed from the tilton?
    Leb @ Boost Lab, Inc.

95 | RSP | 6spd | S366 | AEM EMS | HKS 272s

SupraForums Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Boostrush View Post
    +1

+2

For the ACT Pessure plate. HPF Feramic Setup. Jerky if you are light on the peddle. If you are a heavy foot it is not as bad. Agree - for the money hard to beat.

Been driving it for a year, and I am still jerky sometimes when being light on the peddle. Hard to find the sweet spot.

I have had 3 RPS clutches fail on me in 5 years...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 23 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

List your Car(s)

Where you live

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Your Supra's Vehichle Identification Number (Not visible to the public)

Log-in