Clutch for 700-900rwhp? - Page 5

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Clutch for 700-900rwhp?

Thats really why I haven't jumped on the HPF just yet, because of the heavy pressure plate. I have gotten so close to the checkout button on the HPF....lol
    Kirk - 95 Hardtop
    BL375R, AEM V2, Hypertune, HKS 272, FIC2150

EMAIL ME, KIRK(AT)THEBOOSTLAB.COM

2. Remove Advertisements
    SupraForums.com
    Advertisements

I used the HPF bronze disk with the RPS blue PP and thought it was a great setup. Not as smooth as the carbon clutches, but by far the best bang for the buck and they just work.
    We offer outstanding value on the following brands and many more:
    ACT/AEM/Borg Warner/Brembo/Carrillo/Comp Clutch /CP/Denso/Doc Race/Driveshaft Shop/ETS/Exedy/Fuel-Lab/Full-Race/Garrett Turbo/GSC/HKS/Injector Dynamics/ JE/Kelford/Koyo/KW/Manley/Mishimoto/NOS/PHR/Precision Turbo/StopTech/Tial

Please contact me directly for the best pricing - [email protected].

I wouldnt say the HPF clutch is very heavy.

Just the 1inch engagement is what makes it tricky at first.
    My mum even drives my car sometimes, still a lil jerky on takeoff though. Im pretty happy with it though.

Then again, as mentioned it seems everyone has a different personal preference.

5. Remove Advertisements
    SupraForums.com
    Advertisements

V-tec JUST KICKED IN!!! ChiliSauce's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KenHenderson View Post

I would rate the OS twin-plate at #3 and the OS triple and quad at about a 5-6. I'm not sure how valuable these ratings are, though, for the reasons noted above and the reasons highlighted by 8Wasabe. A guy (or gal) can't give up too early on these clutches. Once you get the hang of them, things get much better. After once getting stuck in my black car on a 13-mile upgrade (Cajon Pass on I-15 in SoCali) in 1-5 mph bumper-to-bumper because of a vehicle fire, I felt afterwards like I had joined the mult-plate clutch owners Hall of Fame, LOL.

Ken.

I used to run an ACT 6puck with Heavy Duty pressure plate on my old MR2. At first I thought the thing was unbarebly hard to drive. The grab point was basically on the floor and the pedal feel was very very stiff. But I've come to realize how much I love that clutch after I got the supra. Once you get the hang of it the clutch is quite easy to drive and the grab point is more predictable since you dont have to lift off the ground very much.

I now have a RPS C/C and am getting quite scared of these horror stories but I must say so far I have about 2 thousand (maybe less) miles on mine and it is a very nice clutch. The pedal feel and grab is awesome for a clutch that can sit through a bumper to bumper traffic. I just hope it doesn't fail on me like the others.

Had I not spent a fortune on the RPS and came across this thread, I would've went with the OS Giken.
    It's all about the finesse!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Swantko View Post
    I used the HPF bronze disk with the RPS blue PP and thought it was a great setup. Not as smooth as the carbon clutches, but by far the best bang for the buck and they just work.
    How long did it last for you and was it a daily driven setup?

Quote Originally Posted by kirkMKIV View Post
    Thats really why I haven't jumped on the HPF just yet, because of the heavy pressure plate. I have gotten so close to the checkout button on the HPF....lol

I'm still thinking about it myself

Edison, New Jersey / Harvey Cedars, New Jersey
    Quote Originally Posted by SleepingTalon View Post
    I'm running a 4094R, AEM, stock motor, stock fuel. 540whp/500wtq, 19psi on pump gas. I'm waiting on fuel/cams to get here, then I'll turn the heat up a bit, but at this point, I'm pretty much at the limits of what my fuel system will provide. Carbonetic rates the twin disc to a maximum of 900ps, and the triple to a max rating of 1500ps. I don't plan on exceeding 750whp at any point, but I wanted to make sure I had enough clutch and never have to worry about it. Oh, another thing I noticed was that the car starts MUCH easier now. Every car I've ever had that had an AEM had the "extra long" cranking time, but as soon as I put this clutch in, that went away. The only thing I can attribute it to is that the weight of the clutch, compared to stock, is much lighter (50lbs stock vs 32lbs for Carbonetic). Maybe the extra weight off the crankshaft allowed the motor to turn over easier. That's just speculation though. Either way, it drives incredible with the triple disc, and starts right up with no extra cranking time anymore.
    interesting, i hear the carbonetic is expensive to rebuild but i'm curious how it handles the drag strip.

2012 Infiniti G37x, Fast Intentions High Flow Resonated Cats, K&N Short Tube Intakes (13.9 @ 100)
    2011 BMW 335i x Drive, JB4, Vishnu Catted Downpipe, JB Intake- 12.2 @ 111 (n55 e90 record) (SOLD)
    1994 Toyota Supra TT 6-Spd, Baltic Blue, Targa Top, 1203rwhp / 900rwtq @ 29 psi(SOLD)

I've also had the ACT HD pressure & 6 puck on previous cars,not ours, and i did not like it for DD in moderate traffic. Very stiff on the leg but it holds true to almost immediate engagement. Considering this on the HPF clutches.
    Guys, heres how i look at it: I dont DD my car and it sees the roads on weekends mostly and maybe once a week. At this point, ill sacrifice a little extra pedal pressure for that added performance street/track. As long as it wont wear fast and hold the 700whp safely.
    ///

ALPINE 6spd BPU
    BLACK 6spd SP71-APU J. Nenni Tuned
    BLACK SC/GTE BL62-APU BUILT R154 4"DP/MP dual APEXI'S - SOLD
    E-Designo Edition 55 AMG - S/C Pulley Headers IC Belt wrap Heat Exchanger ECU/TCU EX - Daily
    4Runner SR5 Sports Edition - Lifted
    RX7 FD R1 - BW/EFR83 Fully Built

So if you had to choose between the HPF and the OS quad wich one will you choose? also how much power were you running thur that clutch? will it hold 1k ?
    No longer a victim of the RAKE syndrome!!!

Twin Meister
    Quote Originally Posted by chidoks View Post
    hks triple wont hold 900whp and isnt easily driveable
    True about the driveability. False about its inability to hold the torque associated with 900 whp.

Ken.
    www.sp-power.com
    HKS 3.4L: 1110 all-boost whp/839 lb-ft @ 2.6KG/CM^2
    1994 "SP ENGINEERING" TWIN HKS GT3240 TOYOTA SUPRA TURBO

1985 Toyota Celica Supra P-Type 5MT
    1991 Toyota Supra Turbo Hardtop/Sunroof 5MT (BPU)
    1993.5 Toyota Supra Turbo Hard Top (BPU)
    1995 Toyota Supra Turbo 6MT (APU)
    2006 Toyota 4Runner Limited V8
    2010 Lexus IS-F
    2016 Lexus IS 350 F Sport

A80girl could you elaborate on what could go wrong on installing the Tilton, that could be causing it wear faster.

Projectmk4>R1 as someone elso posted, were you using the carbon/carbon clutch or not? I am very interested in these as well the OSGiken quad.

How have people been breaking there clutches in. Maybe some don't require break in?

Josh at first state motorsports described the break in process as kind of long and requirely discipline and restraint. He has said that as the clutch heats up it grabs harder and that it was great at the strip.

This thread has provided a great amount of info.

so now im taking it the tilton can handle everything you throw at it, which is basically the end all of my clutch issues. however, can i daily drive it? is it good for a road course/ auto x?

carbonetics is the second choice in line for now, seems to be perfect for daily driving, high HP but apparently doesn't like to be slipped or drag raced.

please correct me if im wrong, but id rather not go with the on/off switches & hard to drive clutches... os giken/hks or the HPF feramic

I have contacted HPF about the OS quad and they are tellling me that the HPF clutch will hold 1k hp and it will be easier to use as a dialy driver . heres the response I got form them

"Hi Luis,
    I think the HPF clutch would probably be better for you since you will be doing street driving. The OS Giken clutch will be very harsh driving."

at this point I have no clue on what to get, now im really confused. right now the tilton is out of the question for me,
    but if the HPF will hold that kind of power and it only 870 I will be willing to sacrifice clutch pedal feel .

Again, I used to daily drive my supra when I first got it with the HPF Feramic clutch and although it did require a bit more effort and learning on how to drive a 6 puck clutch, it was not unbearable to drive daily or in traffic. I've driven mine into NYC (Manhattan) and made it in and out just fine and have also been in stop and go traffic at the Jersey shore with this clutch. It's more of a driver learning curve and being able to adapt, as opposed to the clutch being a poor choice for daily driving.
    Greg
    GJK Photography
    1993.5 APU Hardtop 6-speed (sold 9/7/12)
    2008 Acura TL-S Carbon Bronze Pearl
    PS3 Username - Suprahuman
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by lgp927 View Post
    I have contacted HPF about the OS quad and they are tellling me that the HPF clutch will hold 1k hp and it will be easier to use as a dialy driver . heres the response I got form them

"Hi Luis,
    I think the HPF clutch would probably be better for you since you will be doing street driving. The OS Giken clutch will be very harsh driving."

at this point I have no clue on what to get, now im really confused. right now the tilton is out of the question for me,
    but if the HPF will hold that kind of power and it only 870 I will be willing to sacrifice clutch pedal feel .
    Luis, I have no direct experience with the Feramic, but I did have the bronze and it was awful. very jerky...you had to slip it quite a bit to make it feel smooth. True it's only 870 + 450 for a new oem flywheel. Some people love it, some are partial to the WOTM clutch which sounds to be in the same league.

In my previous cars, supra included I have always been happier with the feel and performance of a multi disk clutch. I have never had the power you will though...I'm stuck about the 1/2 way point .

I used the HPF Bronze for everything from a PHR Stage 2+ to a 76GTS.

Will it hold 1k? Maybe. If you play around on the street it would prob be fine. If you plan on putting a slick under the car and beating it like a whore that owes you money - I doubt it would hold up long. At that point get a Tilton.

I had a C/C and never had a problem but seeing all these issues guys are having lately I don't think I'd put another in my car.

The way I see it it boils down to two options, a single disk or a Tilton.

Be realistic about how you use your car and get the clutch that suits you. I'd guess that most people would be fine with a single disk if they can handle a little chatter at engagement.

That's my opinion FWIW.

heck with it . I think im goign to order the HPF and try it out, its not like I drive that car everyday.

My car sees more street driving than anything so I will be going with the HPF as well

Kirk

The way I see it it boils down to two options, a single disk or a Tilton.
    That's awesome

Nice,give us feed back on the HPF Feramic ones you install it.

ok so i went ahead and ordered the Bronze with the sprung PP.

Thanks Jim for your input on the clutch I was on the fence unitl i talke to you via AIM. all i need to find a flywheel and she will be finally ready for start up.

id still like to hear more reviews of the carbonetics clutch

Quote Originally Posted by lgp927 View Post
    ok so i went ahead and ordered the Bronze with the sprung PP.

Thanks Jim for your input on the clutch I was on the fence unitl i talke to you via AIM. all i need to find a flywheel and she will be finally ready for start up.
    Just remember this from the hpfreaks website, no Fidanza. Just seeing this made me avoid LW flywheels altogether when I ordered my Bronze:

"Choose the non-sprung disk for a stock flywheel, or a sprung disk with a lightened flywheel. Do NOT run this clutch with a Fidanza flywheel. They have a tendancy to fuse."

Banned
    Only thing about a single disk is that the heavy PP, gives chance for crankwalk to occur.

SupraForums Member Brian Robards's Avatar
    My quick input on clutches:

HKS Triple - THE WORST CLUTCH EVER TO DRIVE STOP AND GO. It will hold the power, but it is a pain in the ass to drive. The point at which it grabs is always changing.

Blitz Twin- Very drivable. It does make a good amount of chatter when disengaged, but it is probably the easiest multi-plate clutch to drive that I have experienced. It can hold power, but it will eventually go when you are doing alot of drag racing.

Carbonetic CC - Chatters similar to the Blitz, but is easy to drive (behind the RPS and Blitz). It will hold 700+ HP, but I did not drag race using this clutch so I have no input there.

RPS CC - Drivabilty is only behind the Blitz. There are some issues with failures, but mine has worked fine so far (knocking on wood). It seems like the RPS failures seem to be hit or miss, some last forever so fail immediately (similar to the AEM EMS). I personally have punished this clutch at the track with no issues, hell it takes a full night of 1.34 - 1.37 60' lauches and keeps going.

HPF Feramic - I have not personally driven this clutch, but I have heard many horror stories of people "welding" the clutch to the flywheel when trying to slip for drag racing.

My personal choice is the RPS C/C, but I can see why people would shy away from the clutch at this time with the recent batches of failures.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

List your Car(s)

Where you live

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Your Supra's Vehichle Identification Number (Not visible to the public)

Log-in