Clutch for 700-900rwhp? - Page 6

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast

Thread: Clutch for 700-900rwhp?

Edison, New Jersey / Harvey Cedars, New Jersey
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Robards View Post
    My quick input on clutches:

HKS Triple - THE WORST CLUTCH EVER TO DRIVE STOP AND GO. It will hold the power, but it is a pain in the ass to drive. The point at which it grabs is always changing.

Blitz Twin- Very drivable. It does make a good amount of chatter when disengaged, but it is probably the easiest multi-plate clutch to drive that I have experienced. It can hold power, but it will eventually go when you are doing alot of drag racing.

Carbonetic CC - Chatters similar to the Blitz, but is easy to drive (behind the RPS and Blitz). It will hold 700+ HP, but I did not drag race using this clutch so I have no input there.

RPS CC - Drivabilty is only behind the Blitz. There are some issues with failures, but mine has worked fine so far (knocking on wood). It seems like the RPS failures seem to be hit or miss, some last forever so fail immediately (similar to the AEM EMS). I personally have punished this clutch at the track with no issues, hell it takes a full night of 1.34 - 1.37 60' lauches and keeps going.

HPF Feramic - I have not personally driven this clutch, but I have heard many horror stories of people "welding" the clutch to the flywheel when trying to slip for drag racing.

My personal choice is the RPS C/C, but I can see why people would shy away from the clutch at this time with the recent batches of failures.
    did you ever use the tilton?

2012 Infiniti G37x, Fast Intentions High Flow Resonated Cats, K&N Short Tube Intakes (13.9 @ 100)
    2011 BMW 335i x Drive, JB4, Vishnu Catted Downpipe, JB Intake- 12.2 @ 111 (n55 e90 record) (SOLD)
    1994 Toyota Supra TT 6-Spd, Baltic Blue, Targa Top, 1203rwhp / 900rwtq @ 29 psi(SOLD)

2. Remove Advertisements
    SupraForums.com
    Advertisements

The information this thread has delivered was far more than I expected. Thank all of you guys for your input as I am sure all of this will help many others besides myself!
    Kirk - 95 Hardtop
    BL375R, AEM V2, Hypertune, HKS 272, FIC2150

EMAIL ME, KIRK(AT)THEBOOSTLAB.COM

SupraForums Member Brian Robards's Avatar
    I have never driven the Tilton, but for $5K it better be all it is cracked up to be

Hell it is almost cheaper to go TH400 than to buy a Tilton, I guess if my RPS lets go I might need to get rid of a clutch pedal

5. Remove Advertisements
    SupraForums.com
    Advertisements

SupraForums Member
    This should be a sticky. I'm praying my old az clutch will hold up for a bit.

Ian

SupraForums Member
    Anyone use the Spec Stage 3 at all? Wondering what hp/tq that is okay for as I have one in my car. I've heard a lot of bad things about them but have had them in 2 cars no problems so far.

As Jim Swantko has said. I think too many people get caught up in "once they go any size single" they automatically need a multi plate clutch. That is FAR from the truth. And 90% , probably even 95% are street driven, no road racing, and at most a little drag time. Single disk is the way to go. If you are hardcore, and put a slick under the car and hit the strip alot then only other choice is a Tilton.

I have tried and been through ALOT of clutches. I street drive more the most, go to track more then most, roll ons, million dyno runs etc. Here is my quick take on some i can remember in no particular order lol

HKS Twin.....Horrible....On off switch
    HKS TRIPLE......What stated above x 100 lol
    TRD Single plate clutches....Honestly held up great on stock twins and running it hard.
    RPS Twin....Held power and drove great sometimes, but other times nothing but problems
    RPS Triple.....Held power....Nothing but problems x 10, DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Southbend single disk.......holds weak power and basically a waste IMHO

HPF Feremic, act plate, stock flywheel...AWESOME clutch for street/ Hard drag runs. Lasts about 40-50 passes ( at 900 rwhp) before need replacing. This is also while street driving a lot of miles and dyno runs etc. A little chattery to engage, but very easily drivable...but worked awesome. YOU HAVE TO BREAK THIS CLUTCH IN. That is a mistake most people make. And if you cannot drive and slip your car 60' on a launch....it will fuse .. But any clutch wont like that at all. And if ever fused...just put in gear, pop the starter and you are good to go. Got to love it. Once it fuses...it does not mean clutch is done. Just you slipped it WAYYYYYYYYY too long.

HPF Bronze with RPS Blue PP and stock flywheel.......Awesome clutch again. If you need to hold up to 800-900 and are more street driving...and a little track. This is clutch for you. Smooth as you can get to engage on a single disk IMHO.

Tilton Triple is you are above 1000+++++ and/or are very very hardcore on drag racing. Works flawless if installed properly. Drives awesome! Most are not installed right. Street, stop and go, hard racing. All works awesome!

Agian keep in mind , I am coming from a car that actually daily drives , drag races hard, dynos hard and maintains his car and pays attention to it. Please do not look at my opinions as "Its just a drag car" As well it is...but i guarantee you i drive as much if not more on street and daily drive then everyone on here. So these opinions are coming from a street reference too. I am sure will disagree with me as some have had luck with different clutches. But these were all "tested" i guess you could say...under same conditions, same driver, same scenerios and just my opinions of them. Ranging from Stock twins to 67, 74, 76, 76, Swantko special.

And to add....All multi plate clutches make noise. The HKS's. RPS twin, triple, tilton all once hot rattled the same. So there is no "holy grail" of non rattling clutches. I mean even stock and single disks once hot get a small rattle.

I think that about covers it. And i think some just need some driving lessons on how to drive a clutch .
    Last edited by Silver Bullet; 08-09-2008 at 12:22 AM.

1994 Alpine Silver 6spd

SupraForums Member
    arent single disks more prone to crankwalk or is it hearsay? at the track is it easier to launch the car with a tilton over a single disk like the HPF Ferramic? A lot of people say the tilton is responsible for their good 60 foots.. can those 60 foots be replicated with the HPF Ferramic?

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Bullet View Post
    As Jim Swantko has said. I think too many people get caught up in "once they go any size single" they automatically need a multi plate clutch. That is FAR from the truth. And 90% , probably even 95% are street driven, no road racing, and at most a little drag time. Single disk is the way to go. If you are hardcore, and put a slick under the car and hit the strip alot then only other choice is a Tilton.

I have tried and been through ALOT of clutches. I street drive more the most, go to track more then most, roll ons, million dyno runs etc. Here is my quick take on some i can remember in no particular order lol

TRD Single plate clutches....Honestly held up great on stock twins and running it hard.
    RPS Twin....Held power and drove great sometimes, but other times nothing but problems
    RPS Triple.....Held power....Nothing but problems x 10, DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HPF Feremic, act plate, stock flywheel...AWESOME clutch for street/ Hard drag runs. Lasts about 40-50 passes ( at 900 rwhp) before need replacing. This is also while street driving a lot of miles and dyno runs etc. A little chattery to engage, but very easily drivable...but worked awesome. YOU HAVE TO BREAK THIS CLUTCH IN. That is a mistake most people make. And if you cannot drive and slip your car 60' on a launch....it will fuse .. But any clutch wont like that at all. And if ever fused...just put in gear, pop the starter and you are good to go. Got to love it. Once it fuses...it does not mean clutch is done. Just you slipped it WAYYYYYYYYY too long.

HPF Bronze with RPS Blue PP and stock flywheel.......Awesome clutch again. If you need to hold up to 800-900 and are more street driving...and a little track. This is clutch for you. Smooth as you can get to engage on a single disk IMHO.

Tilton Triple is you are above 1000+++++ and/or are very very hardcore on drag racing. Works flawless if installed properly. Drives awesome! Most are not installed right. Street, stop and go, hard racing. All works awesome!

Agian keep in mind , I am coming from a car that actually daily drives , drag races hard, dynos hard and maintains his car and pays attention to it. Please do not look at my opinions as "Its just a drag car" As well it is...but i guarantee you i drive as much if not more on street and daily drive then everyone on here. So these opinions are coming from a street reference too. I am sure will disagree with me as some have had luck with different clutches. But these were all "tested" i guess you could say...under same conditions, same driver, same scenerios and just my opinions of them. Ranging from Stock twins to 67, 74, 76, 76, Swantko special.

And to add....All multi plate clutches make noise. The HKS's. RPS twin, triple, tilton all once hot rattled the same. So there is no "holy grail" of non rattling clutches. I mean even stock and single disks once hot get a small rattle.

I think that about covers it. And i think some just need some driving lessons on how to drive a clutch .
    1995 Hardtop NA -T

WOW!! more information then I could have ever asked for!! Thank you so much sillver bullet! One quick question, how do you know a tilton was installed "correctly" ??

SupraForums Member
    can you use the Xact flywheel on this HPF Feramic?
    Out of the game for a while

Quote Originally Posted by chidoks View Post
    arent single disks more prone to crankwalk or is it hearsay? at the track is it easier to launch the car with a tilton over a single disk like the HPF Ferramic? A lot of people say the tilton is responsible for their good 60 foots.. can those 60 foots be replicated with the HPF Ferramic?
    Heavier the pressure plate the more "prone" it will be i guess in theory. I have never knew anyone or experienced crank walk from a clutch PP first hand. I think more contributing factors come into play when crankwalk happens. I would not worry about it personally. Its not like TRD or stock ones are that "light" to begin with. For peace of mind...just do the clutch bypass. That way you wont be pushing it in everytime you start the car.

With questions regarding is a certain clutch easier to launch, can cut good 60's etc. That is all coming from the drivers standpoint. All depends on how you drive. That is why i said in previous post, alot of complaining or faliures are due to the owners need to learn how to drive on a clutch. And every clutch setup has a learning curve somewhat. What you can do with one, you cant do with another necessarily. They all can be daily driven and street driven. But when it comes to launching.....you have to adapt. Tiltons can be slipped a long time and love heat....which makes up for alot of driver error. Where single disks....if you slip them as long as a tilton...you will have a problem. They like to be light slip, then full dump. Where you do a slight slip and full dump on tilton, probably bog or break. Million different scenerios.

And its not the clutch/driver that is making 60's....its antilag Take away antilag and let people launch like we used to, no antilag, no 2 step, just gas and clutch.. Then we would see who can drive and 60's woudl no where near be as low as they are now. But with as big turbos as we are getting on these cars now.( Above 76mms IMHO)...Antilag is a must to even think about getting it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Supra98na View Post
    can you use the Xact flywheel on this HPF Feramic?
    You can use it i am sure if you want .......and to decrease performance and make it rattle more....lol STOCK flywheel is what you want on any single disk setup.

Twin Meister

With questions regarding is a certain clutch easier to launch, can cut good 60's etc. That is all coming from the drivers standpoint. All depends on how you drive. That is why i said in previous post, alot of complaining or faliures are due to the owners need to learn how to drive on a clutch. And every clutch setup has a learning curve somewhat. What you can do with one, you cant do with another necessarily. They all can be daily driven and street driven. But when it comes to launching.....you have to adapt. Tiltons can be slipped a long time and love heat....which makes up for alot of driver error. Where single disks....if you slip them as long as a tilton...you will have a problem. They like to be light slip, then full dump. Where you do a slight slip and full dump on tilton, probably bog or break. Million different scenerios.

Truth.

Ken.
    www.sp-power.com
    HKS 3.4L: 1110 all-boost whp/839 lb-ft @ 2.6KG/CM^2
    1994 "SP ENGINEERING" TWIN HKS GT3240 TOYOTA SUPRA TURBO

1985 Toyota Celica Supra P-Type 5MT
    1991 Toyota Supra Turbo Hardtop/Sunroof 5MT (BPU)
    1993.5 Toyota Supra Turbo Hard Top (BPU)
    1995 Toyota Supra Turbo 6MT (APU)
    2006 Toyota 4Runner Limited V8
    2010 Lexus IS-F
    2016 Lexus IS 350 F Sport

SupraForums Member
    why couldnt you use a XACT flywheel? Why would it decrease performance?

rps c/c twin, best clutch for the money. end of story

Quote Originally Posted by Supra98na View Post
    why couldnt you use a XACT flywheel? Why would it decrease performance?
    I said i am sure you can. But lets see....much more rattle...You would be taking away the dampened heavy flywheel, so if racing at track ...makes it that much harder to launch. Feremic disk is a hard hard material. It digs deep into even a stock dual mass flywheel so could not imagine on a LW flywheel. You will have to rev match more when downshifting etc. I mean if you want all that or dont mind all that. Go for it. It will still work and drive. All in what you like.
    Last edited by Silver Bullet; 08-12-2008 at 10:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SupraQuinn View Post
    excuse me, but did you not read this thread?

Original owner, March '94 T72MKIV's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Junior81 View Post
    I have had this clutch in my car for about a year now and It is a good clutch. It has handled everything that I have thrown at it. It seems to me that you just have to watch when drag racing this clutch how you come out of the burnout box. I have heard of people buckling their straps on the clutch. I inspect mine from time to time and they look good. I have the aluminum flywheele and don't have any noticeable clutch chatter at idle. But, as snacks said it is a rough engagement in first gear and does make you feel like a noob.
    Here's a quote from [email protected]

The Toyota factory pressure plate uses a traditional three strap system to locate the
    casting in the cover. When the engine is driving the rear wheels (the car is under
    acceleration) these straps are in tension and will not break. When the rear wheels
    are driving the engine (as during deceleration) these straps are in compression and
    will buckle and break if they go back and forth between tension and compression
    too many times. This is just like bending a paper clip back and forth until it breaks.
    Dynoing, drag racing and missed shifts are common causes of strap breakage. Any
    time a driver abruptly gets out of the throttle like after a burn out, after an 1/8 or
    1/4 mile pass, or after a dyno pull, and does not push in the clutch pedal soon
    enough, he takes the risk of buckling the straps
    94 Supra Fully built - 74mm PT - Stock Intake Mani - RPS Triple Disc Carbon - ProEFI - FSR Tuned - E85 - ID2000 - Dual Walbro 450

I'v got the HKS GD PRO twin disk and it works great and makes alot of noise.
    It was a pain to launch..on and of until i found out i was missing the spring in my clutch slavecylinder...It got much better then but still alittle on and of.

My boss has the RPS C/C on his TT Single and it works great drag track and dd.
    RPS C/C needs proper break in driving with alot of shifthing/clutching and no hard acceleration for at least 100miles.
    Last edited by SupraN/A96; 08-13-2008 at 03:34 AM.
    JDM 6sp NA-T 96
    TTHG @17.4psi
    473rwhp 447 ft lbs

SupraForums Member
    hi guys. like to add my findings. i have now sorted my pedal biting piont on my skyline, 3ltr lump with an os giken r4c quad, by far this is the best clutch i have ever driven. as light as std, no rattles whatsoever and smooth to set of no juddering, infact you would think you were driving a std clutch, plus it hold over 1000ps nice.. if you need a clutch that holds this much power and can afford it, BUY ONE. utterly superb.

Never Heard anything about OS Giken quads before

Twin Meister
    Quote Originally Posted by BLACKMKIV View Post
    Never Heard anything about OS Giken quads before
    I think you're going to be hearing a lot more about the OS Giken clutches. As I posted earlier, the OS triple and quad are all I've ever had in my black car and I have an OS twin in my red BPU car. Most everyone's frame of reference regarding the Giken clutches, including mine, are from the late 90s/early 2000s when the daily driveability of these clutches were considered rough at best. It seems, though, that OS has made considerable improvement to the daily driveability of its clutch offerings, as my OS twin is significantly more driveable than the twin I tested in 1998/1999 before going triple.

Also, two of my good friends have recently gone with the OS triple without looking back and one of these guys had an auto before doing the full 6MT conversion. The other lives two blocks from me and recently had the OS triple installed as part of his T04Z/264 cams/fuel system APU upgrade. He recently took me to SP Engineering (50-miles) to pick up my car and he drove the car like he bought it that way, with no clutch issues or herky-jerkiness or launching from a stop difficulties whatsoever.

As to the OS quad, since my quad was built to SP Engineering Supra-7 specs (as opposed to off-the-shelf OS specs), I have been hesitant to draw broad parallels between my quad experience and those of others having this clutch. That said, from the comments of those that have this clutch, including one or two in this thread, my sense is that OS has made improvements to the driveability of this clutch as well. I know a couple of board members, including FatKatSupra, are daily driving the OS quad to good effect, FWIW. I am not an OS dealer and have no affiliation with the company.

As has been noted, the value of this thread has been for various clutch owners, and those having experience with many different types of clutches, to provide important input to those faced with making a clutch decision.

Ken.

2JZ NA-T MKIII
    It's interesting that there are such good reviews of the Os Giken Quad disc clutch.

I've run this clutch for about 5 months on my MKIII with an R154 tranny. I'm happy because the clutch definately holds the power, but it is the most un-streetable clutch I have ever driven. Engagement is very rough. After reading this thread I'm temped to mess with my slave cyl adjustment, and try to make my setup more streetable.

Banned
    Just got a RPS twin carbon put into my car, we'll see if any issues arise here.
    Trying to get it broken in first, before having any fun in the car.

Quote Originally Posted by SupraQuinn View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by neonafk View Post
    excuse me, but did you not read this thread?

Quinn have you not read this thread or all the other ones about RPS C/C failing

2004 Black Twin Turbo Viper
    2009 Black Prius Racecar
    1995 Black 6 Speed
    1998 Imperial Jade Mica Auto 1 of 10 RIP

ill post my experiances i guess.

i have used mainly rps clutches because of the quality of parts i have received from them. i have owned 3 clutchs over my na-t build ending with a r154 setup which is still a pull style clutch on a 1j fly.

- RPS 6 puck sprung disk with a 3200 pressure plate. the torque cap on this setup is 750. a sprung 6 puck disk is the way to go if your doing a single disk, no chatter, very very driveable. i have slipped this clutch at 6k with drags. one thing i will mention is though as the clutch gets hotter and hotter the slippability drops drastically, and if you take it too far youl weld the clutch plate to the flywheel. i have used this clutch for 2 years had it out a couple months ago besides the normal wear still looked great.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

List your Car(s)

Where you live

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Your Supra's Vehichle Identification Number (Not visible to the public)

Log-in