gauges, WB, made EASY! Writeup included

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: gauges, WB, made EASY! Writeup included

gauges, WB, made EASY! Writeup included

Let me give a little background on this. Order a new interior gadget that has to be powered. We have all done it, have lots of things on the inside of the car and having to steal power from various sources. Its a pain in the ass to say the least. Here is what I do, and I think if you take the time to do it just once you will NEVER do it any other way. Plus if you EVER add anything else, and lets be honest you will, you will NEVER have to spend any time wiring up the new toy. Thats one of the best parts about this, is the time you save from here on out.
    I run all my "add ons" with a relay. Its super safe, reliable and quick.
    Parts needed.
    Terminal strip from radio shack

add-a-fuse from parts store

30-40 amp relay from parts store(or radio shack if they have 12v one)
    some wire(I do 10gauge for battery power to relay, 14 gauge for switched 12v source, 10 gauge for ground and 12 gauge for jumpers on terminal strip)

A bit overkill, but it works like a charm. This will allow the use of MANY things you want to "turn on" when the key is cycled forward.

All you do is wire a relay up normally(not hard, most come with the pin-out for the 4 pins). Run one wire strait from your battery to your constant 12v pin(pin 30 ). You remove a 5 amp fuse from fusebox, place the add-a-fuse in its spot then you put the 5 amp fuse in the extra slot, you run that wire to the switched 12v pin( pin 86).
    You run the ground to pin 85. You run a wire from pin 87 to the terminal strip. You jump one side of the terminal strip from one slot to the next, then that slot to the next, and so on until your number of desired "outputs" are completed(this realy sounds more difficult than it is)

All the relay does is allow you to run something that requres a heavy load(bunch of gauges, wideband, etc..) All it does is you have constant 12v coming into it with big wire. The small wire acts as a signal to close the circut sending that constant 12v to all your gauges, wideband, etc..

You can do it yourself, even if youve never done it before in about 30 mins tops. And trust me when I say you will be SO glad you did it this way. Its a great feeling to get something in the mail and NOT have to do all the "normal" wiring that comes along iwth it. You can complete the wiring in under a minuite for all your new gadgets using this method and honestly it takes just a few minuites longer to go ahead and do it this way from the start. After you do it like this ONCE you will allways do it.

I will add pictures as soon as I have some time. I came up with this quite a few years back. I am sure by now(or possibly before) someone else also came up with this idea, Im not vain enough to think Im the only one that thought of this, and to them I also say kudo's!

Here it is. I tried taking pictures of my setup in the car but I realized it would be more confusing than just drawing a picture. If anyone has any questions let me know and Ill add more too it.

Last edited by slither; 12-28-2008 at 10:21 PM.
    AboveFab(supra fabrication)

Feel free to text me with any questions/tech/advice/info. Its quicker and more personal than pms and you are sure to get a quick response. 434-470-2700

2. Remove Advertisements
    SupraForums.com
    Advertisements

SupraForums Member
    Thanks, looking forward to pics, I'm having a hard time picturing this in my head.

SupraForums Member
    Thanks for the info, some pics for us wiring impaired would be great.

5. Remove Advertisements
    SupraForums.com
    Advertisements

Can't wait to see the details. This is what I'll be needing for sure with all the goodies I have waiting to go in.

Thank you for sharing!

Danny
    sig designed by ToyoBeastly...updated by arpusim

Ill try to get the pics later today. Its a very simple job, and with as much detail as I am giving to the wiring of the relay, after you do this, you will be much more comfortable attacking larger wiring issues.

waiting for the visuals for the nice write-up

Yea man, sorry about that had the whole family dinner thing tonight. When you see how it works and what is done it will become clear. Ill get everything finished up tommorow and sorry about the delay

pic added

SupraForums Member
    You are the man.

No, ...It was NEVER NA!!! NAforNOW's Avatar
    Pretty smart idea. I'll be using it.
    ---- 93.5 TT auto, targa, PT61 w/ .68AR exh. and Tial 44mm wg, on Greddy header, 3" dp into 4" SS exhaust w/ Burns muffler, r154 w/ HPF bronze kit, HDI fmic, Tial Q bov, MapECU -Bilstein/Eibachs, WW lip, TRD wing, CCW Classics 18x10 & 17x11.5, painted E-codes w/ 8000K hids, Nardi Deep Corn, Bride Gias, Hurst shifter! ----

---- '96 Dodge 3500 flatbed, w/ some mods,..pulling a 2005 36' Pro Pull float w/ 12K axles and hydraulic discs, GET HER DONE! ----

---- 04 custom built, hard tail chopper "Chunky Love" 124ci S&S Super Sidewinder, custom Baker 5speed,...----

I know it doesnt seem like that good of a mod, but trust me once you do it you will ALLWAYS do it to every car you plan to mod for the rest of you life LOL. It is truely one of the best things you can do

Fantastic idea. And everything is isolated to one spot.

I like it and will def be using this method. Made a printout already

Danny
    Last edited by Danny T; 12-29-2008 at 11:39 AM.

SupraForums Member
    Where did you mount the terminal strip in your car?

I mounted both terminal strips(I used one like above and one just as a ground strip) and the relay in the same area that the factory ECU sits in. Plenty of room since all these parts are very small

The "Tactileneck"
    You can also just use a fuse block from any automotive store.... then you will also have individual fuses for each switched output...

00 SC300
    wow this is a very simple useful idea. i never would of thought about that.. great idea and props
    2005 Infiniti G35 - AllShow

SupraForums Member
    I used the same setup for my car. I used the bigger wires from the ignition for power and ground and then start plugging in all the gauges.

SupraForums Member FLINTSTONESKID's Avatar
    nice idea slither, by the way, i hate to admit it but every time i see your avatar i get a lil bit worked up........im..........so sorry........

Quote Originally Posted by FLINTSTONESKID View Post
    nice idea slither, by the way, i hate to admit it but every time i see your avatar i get a lil bit worked up........im..........so sorry........
    Yeah me too! Sorry

SupraForums Member
    I know you said photos from your install might be confusing, but I would really like to see yours if at all possible.

Stupid question, but just to clarify before I do something wrong, the pins you are are referring to, 86, 85 etc, are the pins (wires) on the ECU wiring harness correct?

Gonna have to switch all my wiring now, this seems much better.

I remember my greddy gauge had 4 wires that I tapped into the clock wires, constant 12v, headlight 12v source, dimming and ground?

can the same thing be done with the additional sources needed? if so how?

that's a great idea by the way

??? anybody?

Quote Originally Posted by 94Canuck View Post
    I know you said photos from your install might be confusing, but I would really like to see yours if at all possible.

Stupid question, but just to clarify before I do something wrong, the pins you are are referring to, 86, 85 etc, are the pins (wires) on the ECU wiring harness correct?

Gonna have to switch all my wiring now, this seems much better.
    NO, the PINS I was referring too are on the RELAY itself(thats why I placed a picture of the relay beside the pinout)

Quote Originally Posted by supratter View Post
    I remember my greddy gauge had 4 wires that I tapped into the clock wires, constant 12v, headlight 12v source, dimming and ground?

can the same thing be done with the additional sources needed? if so how?

that's a great idea by the way
    Yes, it can be done the same way but you would need two more strips(one for the dimmer and one for the constant 12v, not sure why it would need a constant 12v if the car is off??)
    BUT, to clear it up, yes same thing applies. Just add a strip inline with the dimming sourse and pull power from it whenever you need too.

ALSO, for the guy who mentioned running many fuses that will work just fine but I prefer to have all my stuff shut off if one does(such as one pump goes out, pops a fuse). It kills everything else I have on the strip. I didnt show the fuse in the diagram to keep the confusion down, but it should be there between pin 87 of the relay and the terminal strip for protection

Great write up "slither," Just thinking......you could also protect each of the terminal connections on the 12v+ strip with some clear sillicone or better yet some hot glue to protect it from any possible electrical shorts or environmental moisture, etc.

2JZ NA-T
    whats the best place to get the wires from??

and is add-a-fuse only available online or do local stores have it also? radioshack doesnt seem to carry them.

Brian, i should be getting this done as soon as i can get all the parts purchased, mainly the wires and add-a-fuse, the relay and terminal should be at the local radioshack. im going to make one strip for the power supply, and one for the ground, now, for the grounding strip, you set it up the same exact way right? with a relay and add-a-fuse?

oh, and does it matter which 5amp fuse you put the add a fuse in? or does it just have to be 5 amps?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

List your Car(s)

Where you live

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Your Supra's Vehichle Identification Number (Not visible to the public)

Log-in