JZA80 Differential Info! - Page 2

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: JZA80 Differential Info!

^ did you try google?

http://www.mkiv.de/artikel/allgemein/33.htm

^ found that for you real fast.
    MKIV TT

If you can READ this thank a teacher. If its in ENGLISH thank a VETERAN.

2. Remove Advertisements
    SupraForums.com
    Advertisements

SupraForums Member
    1996-7 JDM SZ-R 5 Speed (W58) also had a rare factory LSD. It came on mine. I don't know all the info on it. I have it in my garage but I will update this thread when I get back home.
    Quote Originally Posted by jt granberry View Post
    Oh ok. You've raced 6MT MKIV Supras before? PM me your car pics and time slips. Until then, STFU. Airwolf(your avatar) is a make-believe, fictional helicopter. Just like your car?
    Quote Originally Posted by Death comes 4 All View Post
    It just goes to show you that Stupid is Forever...stay in school kids.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wreckless View Post
    If he really didn't give a rat's ass, why in the pink-painted fuck did he post this thread, knowing full well what kind of response it would get?

SupraForums Member
    huh

5. Remove Advertisements
    SupraForums.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by RogueSupra View Post
    ^ did you try google?

http://www.mkiv.de/artikel/allgemein/33.htm

^ found that for you real fast.
    OR this

Dat ass

Just a minor correction for the USDM 1998 NA, the torsen lsd was standard in 1998.

http://www.mkiv.com/specifications/9...ure/index.html
    2012 Toyota Sienna LE 2.7L 6AT (w/Convience Package + Preferred Package)
    2018 Ford Explorer XLT "Interceptor" (4WD & Tow III Package)
    2014 Ford Police Interceptor Sedan 3.7L AWD 6AT
    1994 Toyota Supra 5MT SZ-R (Series 1) *SOLD*
    Road Racing Videos (2012 Speed Ventures Time Trial CC9 Champion): http://www.youtube.com/user/FLZBoy
    World's First Naturally Aspirated MKIV on E85:

Quote Originally Posted by johno86 View Post
    Sheldon has no competition.

Quote Originally Posted by Philly#1 Lex View Post
    1996-7 JDM SZ-R 5 Speed (W58) also had a rare factory LSD. It came on mine. I don't know all the info on it. I have it in my garage but I will update this thread when I get back home.
    I don't think model year 1996 - 1997 SZ-R's came with a 5-speed, I think the 6-speed was standard on all SZ-R's (except the earlier models 93 - 95).
    Last edited by FLZ_Boy; 11-25-2010 at 03:21 PM.

from feb 97 on the v161 was in all jdm sz-r's along with the torsen but as for the usdm dunno

Quote Originally Posted by mikethecripple View Post
    from feb 97 on the v161 was in all jdm sz-r's along with the torsen but as for the usdm dunno
    I think production began sometime in 96, so therefore it's 97+ model year. For the USDM, we were cheated and left with the 5-Speed.

Quote Originally Posted by FLZ_Boy View Post
    I think production began sometime in 96, so therefore it's 97+ model year. For the USDM, we were cheated and left with the 5-Speed.
    man that sucks we got it pretty sweet over here in nz NO emission laws just noise and you can import and drive pretty much anything (so much for our 'clean and green' impression that we try to give off lol)

SupraForums Member
    I don't think model year 1996 - 1997 SZ-R's came with a 5-speed, I think the 6-speed was standard on all SZ-R's (except the earlier models 93 - 95).
    ? Um yes they do... I live in Japan....

Quote Originally Posted by mikethecripple View Post
    Not 100% positive on production month but it happened somewhere in there when mid year.

The thing I have learned is that the JDM supra's were very personalized depending on owner. Meaning All options were on the table when you brought it from the dealer. The biggests thing I see is the brakes, transmission & lsd's.

Quote Originally Posted by Philly#1 Lex View Post
    ? Um yes they do... I live in Japan....
    What is the model number of your SZR:

E-JZA80-ALMSF (5MT)

E-JZA80-ALFSF (6MT)

I have the production date of the 6MT at April of 96 (which is probably the 97 model year).

I'm curious how accurate my production number are.

SupraForums Member
    What is the model number of your SZR:

E-JZA80-ALMSF (5MT)

E-JZA80-ALFSF (6MT)

I have the production date of the 6MT at April of 96 (which is probably the 97 model year).

I'm curious how accurate my production number are.
    Sorry I wont be able to check until next year.... Im not in Japan right now.

Mines E-JZA80-ALFSF (6MT)
    and its a 96, and the only SZ-R's with 6psd I've seen are from 96+, before 96 I've only seen 5spd
    Last edited by D17; 11-27-2010 at 05:14 AM.

I believe the SZ-R was only available from 96 onwards, prior to that the model was just an SZ.

SupraForums Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin F View Post
    I believe the SZ-R was only available from 96 onwards, prior to that the model was just an SZ.
    Negative... I am sure it was available in Japan prior to 96. Im pretty sure you are refering o the RZ and The RZ-S

Should have checked my own site first !

http://www.mkivsupraownersclub.com/R...el%20Table.htm

You're right, looks like they were available from Mid-94.

SupraForums Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin F View Post
    Should have checked my own site first !

http://www.mkivsupraownersclub.com/R...el%20Table.htm

You're right, looks like they were available from Mid-94.

Philly For the WIN!!!

J/K

SupraForums Member
    what oil is the best for torsen lsd?

First off ... depending on which chassis you are talking about, the 'meaning' of the codes changed. To keep things simple for sake of explaining, let's compare the diffs in the MK3 (G Series) and the MK4 (A or B series) as they have been called ...

Old school example: G285 ... The G described the housing (size of ring gear and solid or ind axle), the next 2 digits told you the gear ratio: i.e. 28x = 4.30 gear ... and the last digits told you whether you had open diff or limited slip ... if the last digit was a 2 or a 4, it was open diff, if it was a 3 or a 5 it was LSD, and there is a universal chart that list all the combinations ...

The newer axle codes aren't universal between chassis ... i.e. an A01A in a Supra is going to be different from an A01A from a GS300 (except for one thing) ... so lets explain the newer codes ...

Let's look at a USDM MK4 Supra TT Auto:
    A01D 'should' be the axle code

The A means it is the standard diff for the chassis (B would mean it is the optional diff if available)
    01 is the gear ratio, but the difference is the 01 is chassis and market specific now.

The last letter D means it is a full 2 way torsen LSD
    C = supposed to mean 1.5 way torsen LSD (I have yet to see one)
    B = supposedly is only a 1way torsen LSD (every JDM LSD diff I have seen has this code)
    A = Open Diff

Now take the 94 USDM MK4 Supra TT with the optional 6spd V160 and it's axle code 'should' be...
    B07D

B = The optional diff for that chassis
    07 = gear ratio 3.133 (specific to the USDM Supra)
    D = 2 way torsen LSD

In other words the B diff now doesn't always mean it's a 220mm ring gear .... just go look up the current trucks from Toyota and you'll see what I mean!

I've also personally seen a B03B diff from a JDM Chaser, and it had the housing of a 200mm ring gear ....

It just requires a 'different' way to think about what the codes represent, and what makes it more complicated is, you can't just go by the axle code anymore ... you have to at least know what market and chassis it came from, I.E. JDM JZX100 B03B for example ...

In the USDM Supras ... the ratios are supposed to be:

01 = 3.769 (TT Auto)
    02 = 4.272 (N/A Auto, N/A 5MT)
    07 = 3.133 (TT 6MT)

This information wasn't easy for me to compile ... and I don't guarantee its accuracy, however I have more hours talking on the phone with importers, service depts, friends, jdm import shops, and last and not least toyotareference.com which shows what is 'supposed' to be available for the chassis than I care to admit to bring this information to the community.

89 Supra (2JZ-GTE VVT-i)
    94 Supra TT
    99 Aristo (2JZ-GTE V160)
    03 4Runner
    07 Tundra CrewMax

So I am correct I looked it up a little deeper than you did.

Rear end is an “A01D” Torsen Limited Slip Differential or LSD:
    • A- 8inch crown, 200mm ring gear size
    • 01- 4.083:1 ratio
    • D- Torsen LSD 4 pinion

Differential ratio: 3.769

Ok so how does that all look? Correct....

Just a minor correction for the USDM 1998 NA, the torsen lsd was standard in 1998.

You know, I'd love to believe that but the only local '98 NA here in NM has an open diff for sure (but is a salvage title car, so who knows) and that same brochure lists the sport roof as being optional on both turbo and NA models, which of course wasn't the case with the TT. Do you have any other sources/confirmation on LSD's being in every '98?

Quote Originally Posted by KingCobra View Post
    <snip>
    The newer axle codes aren't universal between chassis ...

<snip>
    This information wasn't easy for me to compile ... and I don't guarantee its accuracy, however I have more hours talking on the phone with importers, service depts, friends, jdm import shops, and last and not least toyotareference.com which shows what is 'supposed' to be available for the chassis than I care to admit to bring this information to the community.

Thanks for the explanation! since the older Toyota diff codes did cross-reference between platforms, I'd been assuming all this time that the same was true for the current ones.

This was further complicated by accidental coincidences, such as my own beater Tundra's A01A diff code matching the open 4.083:1 200mm ring gear description perfectly, albeit in a live axle configuration. That led me to believe it was universal and not platform-specific. Thanks for the clarification!

So I am correct I looked it up a little deeper than you did.

We're all human, no need to be smarmy about it. I wasn't wrong, I was just working with conflicting information and there was no clarity on the fact that the codes are platform-specific. That changes everything, obviously.

I'll clean up my posts in this thread with the new information when I have the time to give it the attention and diligence it deserves.
    Last edited by Wreckless; 12-07-2010 at 12:17 PM.
    Jeff
    "I spent a lot of money on booze, chicks and fast cars. The rest I just squandered." -- George Best
    Quote Originally Posted by KING View Post
    Who would have ever thought.....the impact an automobile can make.....

V8 VVTi, 6 Speed Swap! cyberdiamond's Avatar
    JDM:

SZ 93.5-2002.7, 5-spd & Auto---- 4.083:1 (LSD optional) small diff, small flange, Code A01A (LSD A01B)

SZ-R 94.5-96.5, 5-spd---- 4.083:1, LSD standard, small diff, small flange, Code A01B

SZ-R 96.5-2002.7 V161 6-spd---- 3.769:1, LSD standard, small diff, big flange Code A02B

RZ & RZ-S 93.5-95.5, V160-6 spd---- 3.266:1, LSD standard, big diff, big flange, cooling 'ears' on diff cover Code B03B

GZ 93.5-96.5, Auto---- 3.769:1, LSD standard, small diff, big flange, Code A02B

RZ & RZ-S 93.5-2002.7, Auto---- 3.769:1, (LSD optional) small diff, big flange, Code A02A (LSD A02B)

RZ & RZ-S 95.5-97.8, V160-6spd---- 3.266:1, LSD standard, small diff, big flange Code A03B

RZ & RZ-S 97.8-2002.7, V161-6spd (2JZGTE vvti)---- 3.266:1, LSD standard, small diff, big flange Code A03B

---------------------------------------

To make things easier for you I've changed/added all the above with the correct info so you can just copy paste it in.

B03B is the only JDM diff ever released with the 'cooling ears'

European-delievered TT 6-spds (and autos) with an OEM external differential coolers did have the 'cooling ears'

The info above should answer most of your notes/more info needed section.
    Last edited by cyberdiamond; 12-07-2010 at 05:20 PM. Reason: Changed the ending month of 2002

Does anyone know if the LSD diff out of an auto TT will swap into the pumpkin from a 1995 na auto? The 93-95 na's and TT autos had the same beefy axles and the part numbers for the TRD LSD for the na mkiv and TT auto are the same thats why i'm asking.
    (RIP) 1995 N/A-T hardtop - s366 / BL 4" titanium / SP ffim / AEM v1 / WORK XD-9 / Tein Flex / HKS / TiAL / TRD / APR / Cusco /
    2015 RC F - Bone Stock (for now)

Car guy

Negative, I have a '98 N/A auto and ended up being open, so sad. Had to swap out the diff to Auto tt when I did the tt engine swap. I bet they are all open but who knows as they are fairly rare.
    1995 Supra Black/Black Hardtop, 6-speed single turbo 630 rwhp pump gas/meth. (my weekend car)
    1998 Supra Imperial Jade Mica Auto, single turbo 390 rwhp at 14 psi pump gas (wife's weekend car)
    2008 Tundra, Nautical Blue Crewmax Limited, something has to be stock.
    1995 Mr2 turbo, White/tan w/gen4 swap, 5-speed.
    1989 Mitsubishi Starion Red/Black turbo 5-speed hardtop (Retro beater)

Car guy
    Quote Originally Posted by dheff View Post
    Does anyone know if the LSD diff out of an auto TT will swap into the pumpkin from a 1995 na auto? The 93-95 na's and TT autos had the same beefy axles and the part numbers for the TRD LSD for the na mkiv and TT auto are the same thats why i'm asking.
    Yes that should work, can also use tt auto Trd Lsd through '98 on all n/a's, they are all the small 200mm carrier.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

List your Car(s)

Where you live

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Your Supra's Vehichle Identification Number (Not visible to the public)

Log-in