JZA80 Differential Info! - Page 3

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: JZA80 Differential Info!

Quote Originally Posted by jsantesson View Post
    Yes that should work, can also use tt auto Trd Lsd through '98 on all n/a's, they are all the small 200mm carrier.
    Awesome, thanks! Now does anyone have a link to a DIY diff swap thread? I searched and couldn't find one. I know I could use the TSRM but I'm looking for some better pictures and more streamlined instructions if they're out there.
    (RIP) 1995 N/A-T hardtop - s366 / BL 4" titanium / SP ffim / AEM v1 / WORK XD-9 / Tein Flex / HKS / TiAL / TRD / APR / Cusco /
    2015 RC F - Bone Stock (for now)

2. Remove Advertisements
    SupraForums.com
    Advertisements

SupraForums Member carboy_supra's Avatar
    HOw do i identify the diff without opening it up ? Tried looking on the diff housing for the 4 letter but cant find it. Thanks
    Premier Autowerkz Seattle now moves back to Indonesia...
    1)JZA80 BC3.4 waiting for BL compound kit
    2)JZA80 BC3.4 with FullRace S400kit
    3)JZS161 BC3.4 with FullRace S367kit
    4)JZA80 JUN 3.2 ITS billet T71 drift car

Try the build tag in the engine bay (if its a JDM) or the door tag on the drivers side door jamb if it is a USDM supra. If your Supra is from a different market than either of those, I'm not sure where you'd find that info..
    Jeff
    "I spent a lot of money on booze, chicks and fast cars. The rest I just squandered." -- George Best
    Quote Originally Posted by KING View Post
    Who would have ever thought.....the impact an automobile can make.....

5. Remove Advertisements
    SupraForums.com
    Advertisements

SupraForums Member
    There is a lot of info on the Japanese Supra diffs on my site at http://mkiv.supras.org.nz/specs.htm near the bottom of the page.

V8KILR - Precision 6870 AR 0.81, SPA manifold, 4" down/mid pipe, 3.5" AdrenalinR mufflers, Link G4, E85, 760whp @ 26psi (Dyno Torque), Getrag 6 spd, 10.94 @ 130 mph (19 psi low boost run as no cage).
    Owned and raced since Feb 1998.

http://www.mkiv.co.nz

Hello.
    I have a MKIV TT with Getrag 6 speed with big 3 bolt flange.
    I have changed the big diff to a N/A Auto diff(small one) with. 4.083 ratio. and small 3-bolt flange.
    Is there a driveshaft that will fit?
    Or is it possible to use the 3-bolt companion flange from the big diff?

SupraForums Member
    Hi.I bay diff from UK. This is ratio 47:13 3.615:1 no LSD. Small 200mm ring.What is this diff?

I am pretty sure I have read a few times that the gear ration on 97-98 6 speed USDM cars is different from the 93-95 cars. No?

1997 RSP/Black Hardtop 6 Speed Proefi
    2018 Infiniti Q60 TT

Quote Originally Posted by Haak View Post
    Hello.
    I have a MKIV TT with Getrag 6 speed with big 3 bolt flange.
    I have changed the big diff to a N/A Auto diff(small one) with. 4.083 ratio. and small 3-bolt flange.
    Is there a driveshaft that will fit?
    Or is it possible to use the 3-bolt companion flange from the big diff?
    Yes, you can use the 3-bolt companion flange from your larger Getrag diff on the smaller 4.083:1 diff. I have no idea why you would want to make that conversion, though. The 4.083:1 final drive ratio is totally wrong for the V160 or V161.

Quote Originally Posted by Marek300zx View Post
    Hi.I bay diff from UK. This is ratio 47:13 3.615:1 no LSD. Small 200mm ring.What is this diff?
    Assuming it bolts in to the JZA80/JZZ30, I suspect it came from a 2nd Generation (S160 Chassis) Aristo 3.0 non turbo.

Quote Originally Posted by Hurrakaine View Post
    I am pretty sure I have read a few times that the gear ration on 97-98 6 speed USDM cars is different from the 93-95 cars. No?
    All US and North American 6-spd cars came with the V160 6-spd & 3.133:1 'big' diff w/Torsen LSD.

There are two other ratios I know of for the 220mm 'big' diff - 3.266:1 and 3.538:1

The 3.538:1 ratio was only ever fitted to some European market TT automatic cars, and some Middle Eastern market NA's.

The gear ratio for US & North American NA's in 93.5-96 was 4.272:1 and 97-98 NA's had a 4.083:1. These were only in the 200mm 'small' diff with the small companion flange. LSD was always an option. Since those ratios are different, that might be what you read about.

Quote Originally Posted by Wreckless View Post
    Yes, you can use the 3-bolt companion flange from your larger Getrag diff on the smaller 4.083:1 diff. I have no idea why you would want to make that conversion, though. The 4.083:1 final drive ratio is totally wrong for the V160 or V161.

Assuming it bolts in to the JZA80/JZZ30, I suspect it came from a 2nd Generation (S160 Chassis) Aristo 3.0 non turbo.

All US and North American 6-spd cars came with the V160 6-spd & 3.133:1 'big' diff w/Torsen LSD.

There are two other ratios I know of for the 220mm 'big' diff - 3.266:1 and 3.538:1

The 3.538:1 ratio was only ever fitted to some European market TT automatic cars, and some Middle Eastern market NA's.

The gear ratio for US & North American NA's in 93.5-96 was 4.272:1 and 97-98 NA's had a 4.083:1. These were only in the 200mm 'small' diff with the small companion flange. LSD was always an option. Since those ratios are different, that might be what you read about.
    This is what I got for 98 cars:
    http://www.supercarsite.net/toyota/supra-turbo/1998
    http://www.blazen.com/mike/supra/MKIVGearing.html

1998 Toyota Supra Turbo
    6 Speed Manual
    Final Drive 3.27:1
    1st Gear Ratio 3.83:1
    2nd Gear Ratio 2.36:1
    3rd Gear Ratio 1.69:1
    4th Gear Ratio 1.31:1
    5th Gear Ratio 1:1
    6th Gear Ratio 0.79:1

You know, I'd love to believe that but the only local '98 NA here in NM has an open diff for sure (but is a salvage title car, so who knows) and that same brochure lists the sport roof as being optional on both turbo and NA models, which of course wasn't the case with the TT. Do you have any other sources/confirmation on LSD's being in every '98?
    Sorry, I haven't been keeping up with the posts, but here is the 1998 Toyota Supra Product Source brochure on MKIV.com:

1. ALL Models:

2. Listed as Standard:

3. Normall Aspirated LSD Listed as Standard:

Quote Originally Posted by jsantesson View Post
    Negative, I have a '98 N/A auto and ended up being open, so sad. Had to swap out the diff to Auto tt when I did the tt engine swap. I bet they are all open but who knows as they are fairly rare.
    On your driver side door, there is an axle code sticker. If you can post it here, I can look it up. (i.e. A01A = Open Differential, A01B(or D) = Torsen Differential). I'll be checking my next door neighbor's 1998 Supra and see what his axle code is.
    2012 Toyota Sienna LE 2.7L 6AT (w/Convience Package + Preferred Package)
    2018 Ford Explorer XLT "Interceptor" (4WD & Tow III Package)
    2014 Ford Police Interceptor Sedan 3.7L AWD 6AT
    1994 Toyota Supra 5MT SZ-R (Series 1) *SOLD*
    Road Racing Videos (2012 Speed Ventures Time Trial CC9 Champion): http://www.youtube.com/user/FLZBoy
    World's First Naturally Aspirated MKIV on E85:

Quote Originally Posted by johno86 View Post
    Sheldon has no competition.

Car guy
    Ok will do.
    1995 Supra Black/Black Hardtop, 6-speed single turbo 630 rwhp pump gas/meth. (my weekend car)
    1998 Supra Imperial Jade Mica Auto, single turbo 390 rwhp at 14 psi pump gas (wife's weekend car)
    2008 Tundra, Nautical Blue Crewmax Limited, something has to be stock.
    1995 Mr2 turbo, White/tan w/gen4 swap, 5-speed.
    1989 Mitsubishi Starion Red/Black turbo 5-speed hardtop (Retro beater)

After reading Jeff's original post I noticed the code A05A is used for.the 4.273 diff for USDMNA Supras. However, my 94 NA (vin also states it's a 94) and axle code is A01A which means it has a 4.08 diff. A few years ago, I did remove my diff and confirmed it was a 4.08 on a 94. I did switch out to a 4.27 with a TRD LSD.

I 'm starting to see certain jdm parts on a USDM Supra, ie I've seen jdm dampeners and springs on stock USDM Supras.

Quote Originally Posted by FLZ_Boy View Post
    After reading Jeff's original post I noticed the code A05A is used for.the 4.273 diff for USDMNA Supras. However, my 94 NA (vin also states it's a 94) and axle code is A01A which means it has a 4.08 diff. A few years ago, I did remove my diff and confirmed it was a 4.08 on a 94. I did switch out to a 4.27 with a TRD LSD.

I 'm starting to see certain jdm parts on a USDM Supra, ie I've seen jdm dampeners and springs on stock USDM Supras.
    Thank you for the feedback - since I'm obviously not Toyota, I can only go based on the information I find! The more info I get back, the better this thread & its information will be.

Do you have a production date for your car, and what was your original gearbox? W58?

Also, anyone with a '98 NA, I'd REALLY like to hear about your rear diff and whether or not it has a factory LSD!

Edit: I suspect that what might be the case with the NA's is that they had different ratios depending on the transmission just like the SC300's, with a 4.082:1 for W58 cars and a 4.272:1 for automatics, changing to 4.082:1 for all NA's in 97-98. This angle will definitely take more research. I suppose it's time for me to check the ratio in the original diff of my own '95 SE W58 car... embarrassing! lol
    Last edited by Wreckless; 04-06-2011 at 10:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hurrakaine View Post
    This is what I got for 98 cars:
    http://www.supercarsite.net/toyota/supra-turbo/1998
    http://www.blazen.com/mike/supra/MKIVGearing.html

1998 Toyota Supra Turbo
    6 Speed Manual
    Final Drive 3.27:1
    1st Gear Ratio 3.83:1
    2nd Gear Ratio 2.36:1
    3rd Gear Ratio 1.69:1
    4th Gear Ratio 1.31:1
    5th Gear Ratio 1:1
    6th Gear Ratio 0.79:1
    Hurrikane,

You've been in the game long enough to know that a site like Supercars.net needs to be taken with a grain of salt, as it's simply a cesspool of unconfirmed regurgitated info for high schoolers to drool over.

Somehow they crossed the ratio spreads. In '98 The JDM TT's had the 3.266:1 diff but it had a V161, and that gear spread is clearly a V160.
    Whereas the USDM TT 6-spd models all came with a 3.133:1 final drive and a big diff, from 1993 to 1998.

Note that the second link is comparing the JDM market 3.266:1 ratio against the original 3.133:1 ratio. Also remember that PHR sold the 3.266:1 big diff ring & pinion as an upgrade for US spec cars back in the day.

There's a lot more inconsistency with the NA's, as I'm learning, but the TT's being so central to everyone's interest are pretty much solidly nailed down.

If you can find any actual Toyota USA documentation to support the idea that '98 TT 6-spd's had a 3.266:1 diff, I would *really* like to see it.

What about your existing IJM car? have you confirmed the ratio installed in it? Didn't it sit around unmodified for a long time? What does its door tag indicate?

Thank you for the feedback - since I'm obviously not Toyota, I can only go based on the information I find! The more info I get back, the better this thread & its information will be.

Do you have a production date for your car, and what was your original gearbox? W58?

Also, anyone with a '98 NA, I'd REALLY like to hear about your rear diff and whether or not it has a factory LSD!

Edit: I suspect that what might be the case with the NA's is that they had different ratios depending on the transmission just like the SC300's, with a 4.082:1 for W58 cars and a 4.272:1 for automatics, changing to 4.082:1 for all NA's in 97-98. This angle will definitely take more research. I suppose it's time for me to check the ratio in the original diff of my own '95 SE W58 car... embarrassing! lol
    My Supra is a 1994 (By Vin and Production Date & number 01/94). I stated earlier my differential axle code is A01A, actually, it's A02A and it is an open diff 4.083 ratio (confirmed - and differential did not have fins). Apparently, not all USDM 93.5 - 96 NA Supra's had 4.273 ratio........................... However, I'm not surprised as my reasearch with the NA came up with different JDM parts mixed into USDM Supras.
    Last edited by FLZ_Boy; 04-06-2011 at 09:08 PM.

Well, there goes the list I sourced originally!
    Looks like the differential codes aren't just unique for a given platform, but they're unique between sub-models like the NA and the Turbo.

So do you think this was a matter of what parts were 'in the parts bin' at the time, or was there some way to order the different ratios?

I'll be doing some digging & information collection and I'll update the hell out of the this list.

Hurrikane,

You've been in the game long enough to know that a site like Supercars.net needs to be taken with a grain of salt, as it's simply a cesspool of unconfirmed regurgitated info for high schoolers to drool over.

Somehow they crossed the ratio spreads. In '98 The JDM TT's had the 3.266:1 diff but it had a V161, and that gear spread is clearly a V160.
    Whereas the USDM TT 6-spd models all came with a 3.133:1 final drive and a big diff, from 1993 to 1998.

Note that the second link is comparing the JDM market 3.266:1 ratio against the original 3.133:1 ratio. Also remember that PHR sold the 3.266:1 big diff ring & pinion as an upgrade for US spec cars back in the day.

There's a lot more inconsistency with the NA's, as I'm learning, but the TT's being so central to everyone's interest are pretty much solidly nailed down.

If you can find any actual Toyota USA documentation to support the idea that '98 TT 6-spd's had a 3.266:1 diff, I would *really* like to see it.

What about your existing IJM car? have you confirmed the ratio installed in it? Didn't it sit around unmodified for a long time? What does its door tag indicate?
    My current IJM door tag doesn't say anything, and I cant find any info about the gear ratio changing, but I still think I saw it somewhere lol. I will keep looking, though I am beginning to conclude it isn't true.

Quote Originally Posted by KingCobra View Post
    First off ... depending on which chassis you are talking about, the 'meaning' of the codes changed. To keep things simple for sake of explaining, let's compare the diffs in the MK3 (G Series) and the MK4 (A or B series) as they have been called ...

Old school example: G285 ... The G described the housing (size of ring gear and solid or ind axle), the next 2 digits told you the gear ratio: i.e. 28x = 4.30 gear ... and the last digits told you whether you had open diff or limited slip ... if the last digit was a 2 or a 4, it was open diff, if it was a 3 or a 5 it was LSD, and there is a universal chart that list all the combinations ...

The newer axle codes aren't universal between chassis ... i.e. an A01A in a Supra is going to be different from an A01A from a GS300 (except for one thing) ... so lets explain the newer codes ...

Let's look at a USDM MK4 Supra TT Auto:
    A01D 'should' be the axle code

The A means it is the standard diff for the chassis (B would mean it is the optional diff if available)
    01 is the gear ratio, but the difference is the 01 is chassis and market specific now.

The last letter D means it is a full 2 way torsen LSD
    C = supposed to mean 1.5 way torsen LSD (I have yet to see one)
    B = supposedly is only a 1way torsen LSD (every JDM LSD diff I have seen has this code)
    A = Open Diff

Now take the 94 USDM MK4 Supra TT with the optional 6spd V160 and it's axle code 'should' be...
    B07D

B = The optional diff for that chassis
    07 = gear ratio 3.133 (specific to the USDM Supra)
    D = 2 way torsen LSD

In other words the B diff now doesn't always mean it's a 220mm ring gear .... just go look up the current trucks from Toyota and you'll see what I mean!

I've also personally seen a B03B diff from a JDM Chaser, and it had the housing of a 200mm ring gear ....

It just requires a 'different' way to think about what the codes represent, and what makes it more complicated is, you can't just go by the axle code anymore ... you have to at least know what market and chassis it came from, I.E. JDM JZX100 B03B for example ...

In the USDM Supras ... the ratios are supposed to be:

01 = 3.769 (TT Auto)
    02 = 4.272 (N/A Auto, N/A 5MT)
    07 = 3.133 (TT 6MT)

This information wasn't easy for me to compile ... and I don't guarantee its accuracy, however I have more hours talking on the phone with importers, service depts, friends, jdm import shops, and last and not least toyotareference.com which shows what is 'supposed' to be available for the chassis than I care to admit to bring this information to the community.

Based on this post, A02A should be 4.272. I wouldn't doubt my differential got switched from the prior owners. However, I'm curious to see what ratios what other NA Supras (manual) are running.

My neighbor pmed me and confirmed his 98 NA did come with an LSD. He'll let me know the code when he comes back into town.

those EU spec TT autos all had the larger B-series diff, that means a R&P kit exists to install a 3.538:1 ratio into a USDM TT 6-spd differential!

SupraForums Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueberries View Post
    those EU spec TT autos all had the larger B-series diff, that means a R&P kit exists to install a 3.538:1 ratio into a USDM TT 6-spd differential!
    Yes, except the 3.538 R&P kit has been discontinued and there is no stock left anywhere in the world to my knowledge.

Hi all, thanks for the good info.

I have a 4.27 SC300 auto diff that I'm retrofitting into a LS400 (for racing)... does anybody have what the stock part number for the 93- Supra TT auto LSD? My understanding is that this will fit the SC300 AT diff, but I need the part number to try and source from Toyota directly. Alternatively, if anybody has a used torsen, I'd like to get one!

SupraForums Member
    It is my hope that this thread can serve as a solid reference point for anyone with questions regarding the various differentials installed in the JZA80.

Anyone with further information/corrections is welcomed and encouraged to post up! I will clean/edit this post to suit. I'd like to see this thread or another like it become a sticky to help with these constant questions being posted about differentials.

Notes for this list:

'Big Diff' refers to B0xx-series 220mm ring gear differential

'Small Diff' refers to A0xx-series 200mm ring gear differential

'Big flange/Small flange' refers to the 3- bolt input flange (aka companion flange) that bolts to the rubber 'donut' between the diff and driveshaft. This flange can be unbolted and changed on both the small and large differentials.

Here's the info I've got:

By Specific Model:

US Spec:

NA 93.5-96 US spec---- 4.272:1, LSD optional (but rare) small diff, small flange* Code A05A

NA 97-98 US spec---- 4.083:1, LSD optional (but rare) small diff, small flange, Code A01A

TT Auto 93-96 US spec---- 3.769:1, LSD standard, small diff, big flange, Code A02D

TT Auto 97-98 US spec---- 3.769:1, LSD optional but usually installed, small diff, big flange, Code A02A(non LSD) A02D (LSD)

TT 6-spd 93-98 US spec---- 3.133:1, LSD standard, big diff, big flange, cooling 'ears' on diff cover. Code B07D

JDM:

SZ 5-spd and Auto---- 4.083:1, LSD optional (but rare) small diff, small flange, Code A01A

SZ-R with V161 6-spd---- 3.769:1, LSD optional but usually fitted, small diff, ???? flange** Code A02B

RZ Auto & All GZ---- 3.769:1, LSD optional*** small diff, big flange, Code A02A (non LSD) Code A02B (LSD)

RZ 6-spd 93-5/96 (V160)---- 3.266:1, LSD standard, big diff, big flange, cooling 'ears' on diff cover, Code B03B

RZ, RZ-S 6-spd 6/96-2002 (V161)---- 3.266:1, LSD standard small diff, big flange, cooling 'ears' on diff cover**** Code A03B

European Spec: (Thanks Gery, great information!! - Part #'s and more details in Post #3)

TT Auto 93-96 EU spec----- 3.538:1, LSD standard, big diff, big flange

TT Auto 93-96 Austria/Switzerland Spec---- 3.266:1, LSD standard, big diff, big flange

TT 6-spd 93-96 EU spec: 3.266:1 ---- LSD standard, big diff, big flange, fittings to suit external oil cooler.

By Ratio:

4.272:1 - US-spec NA's 93.5-96 (Other Export markets too?) LSD optional, small diff, small flange.

4.083:1 - All JDM NA's, US-spec 97-98, LSD optional, small diff small flange

3.766:1 - All JDM & US spec TT auto, JDM SZ-R NA's with V161 6-spd. LSD standard in USDM 93-96, optional 97-98. Small diff, Big flange*(need more info)*

3.538:1 - European Spec TT autos 93-96, LSD standard, big diff, big flange, fittings for external oil cooler*****

3.266:1 - European Spec TT 6-spds and Austria/Swiss spec TT autos, LSD standard, big diff, big flange, fittings for external oil cooler*****

3.266:1 - All JDM TT 6-spds, 93 to May 96 production dates had the 'big' diff. June 96 onward had the 'Small' diff. LSD standard, big flange, cooling ears on diff cover

3.133:1 - All US-spec TT 6-spds. LSD standard, big diff, big flange, cooling ears on diff cover.

Notes:

*US spec NA's had the same 'beefy' axles as TT auto until from 93-95, 97-98 NA's had weak smaller axles. USDM '96 NA's and JDM NA's I'm unsure about. I need confirmation!

** I'd love to know more about the SZ-R 6-spd's differential, namely the input/companion flange size, if it had the stronger TT axles, and whether or not it shares the same ear-like cooling fins found on the TT 6-spd differential covers. I have read from other sources that the SZ-R 6-spd is a 3.916:1 rear diff ratio. I'd love to see it confirmed as to which one it is, or both, and which years they may be found in.

*** I have no data as to whether the LSD was optional or standard on the auto JDM RZ's and GZ's.

**** All TT 6-spd differentials have the 'ears' of cooling fins sticking out from either side of the differential cover. I don't know if the European-delievered TT 6-spds with an OEM external differential coolers had them, though. I also need confirmation on whether or not the cooling 'ears' were present on all 6/96-2002 JDM RZ's and RZ-S's or if they were eliminated or optional at some point.

*****Did the EU TT autos also get an external diff cooler?

Further info needed-

The JDM NA automatic diffs - some sources say 4.083:1 like the 5MT, others say 4.272:1 and others still say 3.766:1. Anyone know more?

SZ-R V161/6MT cars - LSD standard or optional? Were stronger TT auto axles used, or thinner weak NA ones? Did it have the cooling 'ears' on the diff cover?

JDM TT auto diffs - LSD standard or optional? which years/models?

I'll put together a cross- reference of differential from other vehicles that can be swapped over, and add that to this post or another one in this thread.

Hope this helps!

Jeff

Edit 10/03/10 : Added differential codes for US spec and JDM models, sourced from http://www.mkiv.de/artikel/allgemein/33.htm
    Edit 10/08/10 : Corrected diff code inconsistencies.
    Edit 10/13/10 : added search keywords at bottom of post.

diff diff diff diff diff diff differential differential differential differential differential limited slip limited slip limited slip limited slip limited slip gears gears gears gears ratios ratios ratios ratios ring pinion ring pinion ring pinion ring pinion pumpkin pumpkin pumpkin pumpkin pumpkin
    Hey Bro,

The JDM Aristos had LSD as an option, I know this because my 1st gen Aristo 2JZ-GTE came with an open diff.
    Regards,
    Kurt Knight
    Knight's Autoworld

It is my hope that this thread can serve as a solid reference point for anyone with questions regarding the various differentials installed in the JZA80.

Anyone with further information/corrections is welcomed and encouraged to post up! I will clean/edit this post to suit. I'd like to see this thread or another like it become a sticky to help with these constant questions being posted about differentials.

Notes for this list:

'Big Diff' refers to B0xx-series 220mm ring gear differential

'Small Diff' refers to A0xx-series 200mm ring gear differential

'Big flange/Small flange' refers to the 3- bolt input flange (aka companion flange) that bolts to the rubber 'donut' between the diff and driveshaft. This flange can be unbolted and changed on both the small and large differentials.

Here's the info I've got:

By Specific Model:

US Spec:

NA 93.5-96 US spec---- 4.272:1, LSD optional (but rare) small diff, small flange* Code A05A

NA 97-98 US spec---- 4.083:1, LSD optional (but rare) small diff, small flange, Code A01A

TT Auto 93-96 US spec---- 3.769:1, LSD standard, small diff, big flange, Code A02D

TT Auto 97-98 US spec---- 3.769:1, LSD optional but usually installed, small diff, big flange, Code A02A(non LSD) A02D (LSD)

TT 6-spd 93-98 US spec---- 3.133:1, LSD standard, big diff, big flange, cooling 'ears' on diff cover. Code B07D

JDM:

SZ 5-spd and Auto---- 4.083:1, LSD optional (but rare) small diff, small flange, Code A01A

SZ-R with V161 6-spd---- 3.769:1, LSD optional but usually fitted, small diff, ???? flange** Code A02B

RZ Auto & All GZ---- 3.769:1, LSD optional*** small diff, big flange, Code A02A (non LSD) Code A02B (LSD)

RZ 6-spd 93-5/96 (V160)---- 3.266:1, LSD standard, big diff, big flange, cooling 'ears' on diff cover, Code B03B

RZ, RZ-S 6-spd 6/96-2002 (V161)---- 3.266:1, LSD standard small diff, big flange, cooling 'ears' on diff cover**** Code A03B

European Spec: (Thanks Gery, great information!! - Part #'s and more details in Post #3)

TT Auto 93-96 EU spec----- 3.538:1, LSD standard, big diff, big flange

TT Auto 93-96 Austria/Switzerland Spec---- 3.266:1, LSD standard, big diff, big flange

TT 6-spd 93-96 EU spec: 3.266:1 ---- LSD standard, big diff, big flange, fittings to suit external oil cooler.

By Ratio:

4.272:1 - US-spec NA's 93.5-96 (Other Export markets too?) LSD optional, small diff, small flange.

4.083:1 - All JDM NA's, US-spec 97-98, LSD optional, small diff small flange

3.766:1 - All JDM & US spec TT auto, JDM SZ-R NA's with V161 6-spd. LSD standard in USDM 93-96, optional 97-98. Small diff, Big flange*(need more info)*

3.538:1 - European Spec TT autos 93-96, LSD standard, big diff, big flange, fittings for external oil cooler*****

3.266:1 - European Spec TT 6-spds and Austria/Swiss spec TT autos, LSD standard, big diff, big flange, fittings for external oil cooler*****

3.266:1 - All JDM TT 6-spds, 93 to May 96 production dates had the 'big' diff. June 96 onward had the 'Small' diff. LSD standard, big flange, cooling ears on diff cover

3.133:1 - All US-spec TT 6-spds. LSD standard, big diff, big flange, cooling ears on diff cover.

Notes:

*US spec NA's had the same 'beefy' axles as TT auto until from 93-95, 97-98 NA's had weak smaller axles. USDM '96 NA's and JDM NA's I'm unsure about. I need confirmation!

** I'd love to know more about the SZ-R 6-spd's differential, namely the input/companion flange size, if it had the stronger TT axles, and whether or not it shares the same ear-like cooling fins found on the TT 6-spd differential covers. I have read from other sources that the SZ-R 6-spd is a 3.916:1 rear diff ratio. I'd love to see it confirmed as to which one it is, or both, and which years they may be found in.

*** I have no data as to whether the LSD was optional or standard on the auto JDM RZ's and GZ's.

**** All TT 6-spd differentials have the 'ears' of cooling fins sticking out from either side of the differential cover. I don't know if the European-delievered TT 6-spds with an OEM external differential coolers had them, though. I also need confirmation on whether or not the cooling 'ears' were present on all 6/96-2002 JDM RZ's and RZ-S's or if they were eliminated or optional at some point.

*****Did the EU TT autos also get an external diff cooler?

Further info needed-

The JDM NA automatic diffs - some sources say 4.083:1 like the 5MT, others say 4.272:1 and others still say 3.766:1. Anyone know more?

SZ-R V161/6MT cars - LSD standard or optional? Were stronger TT auto axles used, or thinner weak NA ones? Did it have the cooling 'ears' on the diff cover?

JDM TT auto diffs - LSD standard or optional? which years/models?

I'll put together a cross- reference of differential from other vehicles that can be swapped over, and add that to this post or another one in this thread.

Hope this helps!

Jeff

Edit 10/03/10 : Added differential codes for US spec and JDM models, sourced from http://www.mkiv.de/artikel/allgemein/33.htm
    Edit 10/08/10 : Corrected diff code inconsistencies.
    Edit 10/13/10 : added search keywords at bottom of post.

diff diff diff diff diff diff differential differential differential differential differential limited slip limited slip limited slip limited slip limited slip gears gears gears gears ratios ratios ratios ratios ring pinion ring pinion ring pinion ring pinion pumpkin pumpkin pumpkin pumpkin pumpkin

Hi, Would like to say you have done a good job by sharing your thoughts on this forum. It's pretty good, informative too.. Keep up the good work.. Thanks again

I followed up my neighbors 1998 NA. His axle code is A05A, which meant its a 4.08 with an open diff, but he confirmed to me it had a torsen LSD.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

List your Car(s)

Where you live

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Your Supra's Vehichle Identification Number (Not visible to the public)

Log-in