JZA80 Differential Info! - Page 5

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: JZA80 Differential Info!

@ imindirocz28

I've read that too,
    but I was thinking if there can be made some mods to make it working like GS400 open diff with 3.26 gearing on MKIV to jump from 4.1 gearing.

Any ideas?

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    SupraForums.com
    Advertisements

SupraForums Member
    Blog Entries
    If you want a gs400 rear check my sig.

However, people have tried to swap different year carriers into the mkiv housings and they don't fit. I'm sure you could machine or weld or something to make it, but it's not with the trouble.

The only other option is if you machined 2 steel plates, and kind of create a "Dave H" LSD.
    Originally Posted by Janelle Conte
    Gear oil and daddy issues??? Those bitches smell like bad decisions.

RIP My beloved 1995 DWP Toyota Supra-Not wrecked by me
    RIP my 2004 Z06 - THANKS FOR FUCKING MY SHIT UP GULF COAST MOTORWORKS OF BONITA SPRINGS, FLORIDA!

@ imindirocz28

As I read, IS200 (Altezza) diff is 7.5inches and na supra diff is 8inches, those are outer diameters of the ring gears, right?

My question is that, if I remove the ring gear from supra open diff and put it on Altezza TRD lsd diff, will it fit in the casing of na supra rear end?

Anyone experienced in this case would be respected .

5. Remove Advertisements
    SupraForums.com
    Advertisements

SupraForums Member
    Blog Entries
    The 8" gear wont fit a 7.5" diff.

Not to mention, I'm pretty sure the inside width of the cases is different.

How is it possible to make that TRD LSD work in my MIKV? I badly need lsd on my soup, evenmore trd lsd.

Any good ideas please?

SupraForums Member
    Blog Entries
    You can buy a TRD LSD to fit the NA/tt diff. Or you can machine your own DAVE H style lad.

Thanks for advice, but I'll show u my point of view,

Buying a LSD to fit na diff = 728$ + shipping to my country + customs = ~1100$.
    This Altezza diff is about $300 and here, no extra fees.

Dave H lsd refers to welded open diff probably? Any guide to do this? And is it safe for street?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bequa View Post
    Thanks for advice, but I'll show u my point of view,

Buying a LSD to fit na diff = 728$ + shipping to my country + customs = ~1100$.
    This Altezza diff is about $300 and here, no extra fees.

Dave H lsd refers to welded open diff probably? Any guide to do this? And is it safe for street?

Thanks

There is absolutely nothing in the Altezza diff or a MK2/MK3 Supra diff that can be transplanted into a JZA80 large or small diff. Believe me, I've had a lot of IS300/IS200/Altezza guys ask me similar questions and if there was a direct transplant, I'd have it all over the second post of this sticky. What you are trying to do will not work.

With fabrication talent & the correct driveshaft & axle parts you might be able alter your JZA80 subframe & complete Altezza differential to mount to each other, but I have no idea if the axles would fit the JZA80 hubs, and they might be too long or too short to fit correctly anyway.
    Even if all that was possible (which it probably isn't) and you reworked everything to fit, you have a much much weaker rear differential and it is absolutely silly to go to so much work just to downgrade that part.

Do you have any 1st or 2nd generation Aristos or JZZ30 Soarers around? Those differentials are a bolt-in solution, and any factory or aftermarket LSD you find fitted to any of those three platforms will work in your Supra, assuming your Supra has the small differential (I don't know of any large-pattern Supra differentials that were fitted with an open diff)
    Jeff
    "I spent a lot of money on booze, chicks and fast cars. The rest I just squandered." -- George Best
    Quote Originally Posted by KING View Post
    Who would have ever thought.....the impact an automobile can make.....

SupraForums Member
    Blog Entries
    You're not going to get an 8" ring gear to fit a 7.5" carrier.

The Dave H LSD IS 2 machines steel blocks that slide into the center of the carrier between the spider gears. I have some pics. I'll post them when I get back.

i have a 98 gs and i want put an lsd but dont know what housing and lsd i need any help would be appreciated.

SupraForums Member
    Blog Entries
    I'm pretty sure you need the one for the auto tt rear end.

I need help identifying my diff. I got it from a 93 mk4 tt auto supra to drop in my sc3 I attempted looking for a code there is no sticker but on the diff cover is a print that says F20SZ and under that is 2-1

Any help please

No idea what those numbers are, best bet is to pop the rear cover off and see if it's a Torsen or an open diff. Count the revolutions of the 3-prong input shaft as you rotate one of the axle shafts exactly 360*. If it spins about 3.75 times for one 360* spin of the axle, and it's got a Torsen LSD, you've got a TT auto diff. Not a lot more to it.

SupraForums Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gfallon View Post
    i checked my 95 n/a 5speed and it has the A02A diff coed. so i did get the 4.2 with mine and it did have an open diff in it also. mine was made in 12/04
    I have a US Spec 93 NA 5speed(w58) and also has the A02A rear diff code. By every thing I read.... A(standard) 02(4.272:1) A(open diff).

A = standard diff
    B = optional diff
    01 = 3.769 (TT Auto)
    02 = 4.272 (N/A Auto, N/A 5MT)
    07 = 3.133 (TT 6MT)
    D = means it is a full 2 way torsen LSD
    C = supposed to mean 1.5 way torsen LSD (I have yet to see one)
    B = supposedly is only a 1way torsen LSD (every JDM LSD diff I have seen has this code)
    A = Open Diff

By going off all the information in this thread, I'm still getting conflicting information.
    Some of the information says my car should have a A05A rear diff. Its also posted that the A02A only comes in the 97-98 TT Auto?? That is obviously not the case as myself and others in this thread posted otherwise. What gear ratio is the A05A?

SupraForums Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FLZ_Boy View Post
    I followed up my neighbors 1998 NA. His axle code is A05A, which meant its a 4.08 with an open diff, but he confirmed to me it had a torsen LSD.
    Quote Originally Posted by 360rwkw View Post
    The last letter of A means it was originally a non-torsen diff, so if it is now a torsen diff then someone must have changed it prior to him owning it or he is mistaken.
    My 98 supra also has a A05A axle code but when I got the original window sticker reprinted. It says my car is equipped with a torsen LSD from the factory.
    Attached Files
    1998 Alpine White Supra NA Auto - Current Daily Driver

Quote Originally Posted by Dominator84 View Post
    My 98 supra also has a A05A axle code but when I got the original window sticker reprinted. It says my car is equipped with a torsen LSD from the factory.
    I been adament with this point that 1998 USDM NA Supras came with a Torsen LSD as standard equipment. I believe it was stated on a 98 brochure and I remember reading the 1998 service manual stating/chart that a. toresen was standard.
    2012 Toyota Sienna LE 2.7L 6AT (w/Convience Package + Preferred Package)
    2018 Ford Explorer XLT "Interceptor" (4WD & Tow III Package)
    2014 Ford Police Interceptor Sedan 3.7L AWD 6AT
    1994 Toyota Supra 5MT SZ-R (Series 1) *SOLD*
    Road Racing Videos (2012 Speed Ventures Time Trial CC9 Champion): http://www.youtube.com/user/FLZBoy
    World's First Naturally Aspirated MKIV on E85:

Quote Originally Posted by johno86 View Post
    Sheldon has no competition.

Car guy
    Quote Originally Posted by FLZ_Boy View Post
    I been adament with this point that 1998 USDM NA Supras came with a Torsen LSD as standard equipment. I believe it was stated on a 98 brochure and I remember reading the 1998 service manual stating/chart that a. toresen was standard.
    I also have a 29k mile '98 N/A and window sticker says it has a torsen LSD but when I did my swap I checked and it was open. I still have the original diff on my shelf, I swapped it out to a turbo LSD. John
    1995 Supra Black/Black Hardtop, 6-speed single turbo 630 rwhp pump gas/meth. (my weekend car)
    1998 Supra Imperial Jade Mica Auto, single turbo 390 rwhp at 14 psi pump gas (wife's weekend car)
    2008 Tundra, Nautical Blue Crewmax Limited, something has to be stock.
    1995 Mr2 turbo, White/tan w/gen4 swap, 5-speed.
    1989 Mitsubishi Starion Red/Black turbo 5-speed hardtop (Retro beater)

SupraForums Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jsantesson View Post
    I also have a 29k mile '98 N/A and window sticker says it has a torsen LSD but when I did my swap I checked and it was open. I still have the original diff on my shelf, I swapped it out to a turbo LSD. John
    Hey John, how did you check your diff? I want to check mine and verify if it is LSD or not. Thanks!

Car guy
    Quote Originally Posted by Dominator84 View Post
    Hey John, how did you check your diff? I want to check mine and verify if it is LSD or not. Thanks!
    Look at Wreckless post in this thread #113, he talks about what to look for.

dear brothers
    i purchased this differential for supra 6 speed but i wanna know this differential for supra USA or for supra JDM , iwant know this differential for JDM , UK, EUROPE or USA that what i need know

note:
    is the difference between US and JDM in the ratio
    1- (USA)TT 6-spd 93-98 US spec---- 3.133:1, LSD standard, big diff, big flange, cooling 'ears' on diff cover. Code B07D.
    2- (JDM) RZ 6-spd 93-5/96 (V160)---- 3.266:1, LSD standard, big diff, big flange, cooling 'ears' on diff cover, Code B03B

RZ, RZ-S 6-spd 6/96-2002 (V161)---- 3.266:1, LSD standard small diff, big flange, cooling 'ears' on diff cover**** Code A03B

Quote Originally Posted by Emad Salem View Post
    dear brothers
    i purchased this differential for supra 6 speed but i wanna know this differential for supra USA or for supra JDM , iwant know this differential for JDM , UK, EUROPE or USA that what i need know

note:
    is the difference between US and JDM in the ratio
    1- (USA)TT 6-spd 93-98 US spec---- 3.133:1, LSD standard, big diff, big flange, cooling 'ears' on diff cover. Code B07D.
    2- (JDM) RZ 6-spd 93-5/96 (V160)---- 3.266:1, LSD standard, big diff, big flange, cooling 'ears' on diff cover, Code B03B

RZ, RZ-S 6-spd 6/96-2002 (V161)---- 3.266:1, LSD standard small diff, big flange, cooling 'ears' on diff cover**** Code A03B
    If you had actually read this thread, and seen the pics in the 11th post, you'd know that you have a European market differential because of the oil level sensor and various lines/fittings for a remote oil cooler.

Yes, the difference between the USDM and early JDM TT 6-spd differentials is the ratio. That's why everything else is listed as being the same except for the gear ratio and the diff code.

thanks for you Sir
    i purchased TRD LSD ,i wanna know if i can install TRD LSD on that european differential or i can't

ex BPU'er
    Question fellas

I am picking up a 5spd, stock trans W58 SC300. It is NA-T, going to be my road race car, so I'm planning to make around 400whp in the future (1-2 years).... need advice on what I should do in regards to the drivetrain. I need an LSD and have decided that for my power goals and cost effectiveness, a Supra TT Auto LSD would work best.

From my research, dropping the LSD itself into the stock SC300 pumpkin would work and will NOT screw up my speedo/gearing. However, if I install the entire Auto TT pumpkin, it would lengthen my gears, so like 70mph will show 62mph on my speedo since the speed sensor is in the trans. Now, I imagine dropping in a R154 when time comes, the question is, which would work better for me, buy the stock Auto TT LSD alone and drop it into my SC pumpkin, or buy the entire Auto TT pumpkin and just watch my speedo for the next couple of years?

Thanks
    Jeremy

EDIT: did my own research... looks like keeping the SC300 pumpkin would be a little closer to the right speedo display. Overall, it's still not that bad.

Gearing.png
    Last edited by marshallpre1; 06-15-2012 at 11:29 AM.
    1997 Supra TT- PT67/QSV/Vipec/HKS/AEM/SSR
    2004 G35 Coupe -Brembo pkg- daily/track
    2010 G37x Sedan- Wife's

SupraForums Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Emad Salem View Post
    thanks for you Sir. i purchased TRD LSD ,i wanna know if i can install TRD LSD on that european differential or i can't
    Yes you can. I know because I have one in my UK spec TT auto diff. This is the big 220mm diff with 3.538:1 ratio. As far as I know you can buy a TRD LSD for both the small and big diffs (make sure you buy the correct one for your diff) and they will fit in to all the mkiv Supra diffs.

V8KILR - Precision 6870 AR 0.81, SPA manifold, 4" down/mid pipe, 3.5" AdrenalinR mufflers, Link G4, E85, 760whp @ 26psi (Dyno Torque), Getrag 6 spd, 10.94 @ 130 mph (19 psi low boost run as no cage).
    Owned and raced since Feb 1998.

http://www.mkiv.co.nz

ex BPU'er
    Do you guys know anything about the Soarer diffs? One guy from Club Lexus offered me this:

"The other Soarer diff is an open locking diff. It does not have an LSD, but it locks when torque is applied. Its also a 5sp diff. Its also a complete pumkin."

An open diff that locks? Isn't that an LSD? Any information on that?

Thanks

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

List your Car(s)

Where you live

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Your Supra's Vehichle Identification Number (Not visible to the public)

Log-in