Auto Shifter Bushings - Page 2

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Auto Shifter Bushings

Quote Originally Posted by HotSoup View Post
    Just did this today MAN what a difference in the shifter feel! Before it was had 1/8" of "slop" in it, now it is solid as a rock. Very worth the $5 for both bushings. To do this, follow the directions Al stated. VERY easy to replace.
    Got this done this weekend & it was a little tedious but pretty easy overall to do. Well worth the couple bucks to do this. Thanks to those I asked questions to!

2. Remove Advertisements
    SupraForums.com
    Advertisements

in for future mod

Just did this fix on my '89 Supra and thought I'd share my pics. As others have noted, the blue plastic bushings just disintegrate literally into dust, as shown in the 5th image.

1989 Supra | Stock 7MGE | AT | Sport Package | White Package | Targa Top

5. Remove Advertisements
    SupraForums.com
    Advertisements

Just found this being on page 1. I just got a RHD Auto TT and there is slop right and left as described above. First, I cant even figure out how to take the shifier knob off lol...Someone said there is a Phillips down low. If some has a picture of where this Id appreciate it.

So it sounds like a PITA to replace the bushings that causing this?....damn...

Quote Originally Posted by Stu Hagen View Post
    Just found this being on page 1. I just got a RHD Auto TT and there is slop right and left as described above. First, I cant even figure out how to take the shifier knob off lol...Someone said there is a Phillips down low. If some has a picture of where this Id appreciate it.

So it sounds like a PITA to replace the bushings that causing this?....damn...
    I didn't realize this was an MKIV-specifc thread until after the fact, but it really seems like the steps are about the same between the IV and III. And for the MK3, you don't even need to take the shifter knob off. I'll let someone else confirm for the MK4.

Can someone give me the OD and ID and Thickness of this washer? I have a mix box of nylon washers to see if I can use one.

I don't recall taking the shifter knob off. The console? Yes, that's coming off, have fun with that one! I ended up cutting the console frame where that wire harness is, then epoxying it back together. Then the harness is underneath the console frame after that, where it's supposed to be!

Stu, I don't remember there being any washers, just very thin blue bushings made out of some type of flexible material. So this is a very specific part.

Al
    94TT Auto, 6466
    [email protected] 27 psi 4/16/16
    Previous setup: HKS Twin 2835's
    [email protected] 32 psi, 10/29/06

Previous car: 90 Talon AWD, 5 spd, FP Red (60-1)
    [email protected] built motor, 28 psi, Sept 2000

OK I have removed most of the parts down to the big plate. I see that there are maybe 4 bolts holding down the big surround plate. So my question is, I remove these 4 bolts then the whole shifter can be lifted up to get to the bolts holding in the bushings? Someone thought you had to get under the car to be able to lift the whole plate and assembly up? So this is where I am...I guess I will take out the 4 perimeter bolts and lift to see if I can access the bolt where the new bushing goes. I can see that the bushing is shot
    Attached Images

You have to get under the car to unbolt the shift lever from the shift rod (be sure to mark it!), but I don't recall taking the whole unit out of the car, just the shift lever itself to expose the bushings. Once the console is out, you have all the access you need.

Attached is a diagram with part #'s.

Al
    Attached Images
    Last edited by T6Rocket; 05-06-2019 at 11:25 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

List your Car(s)

Where you live

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Your Supra's Vehichle Identification Number (Not visible to the public)

Log-in