Supra Forums banner

Can I sue a Dealer for lying to me about my Supra?

4K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  QTR_Supra 
#1 ·
I was wondering if i could sue a dealer for lying to me about my car, Saying that it wasnt in any accidents and or wrecks , its been about a year and ive just noticed that my front end has been replaced due to lots of welds from replacing the radiator support , bondo in the engine bay ectt-( i was detailing the bay )

the dealer told me he repainted the car only to freshen up the paint, the car fax showed a clear and accident free report, as the owner of the dealer saying the same thing...

Its not a chain dealer- one of them " Toms motors " kinda dealers...

#2 ·
well if the car fax showed it clean and clear then i dont know what to tell you. chances are that it could have been in a minor fender bender and the previous owner just didnt make a clain on it and decided to fix it themselves, so the dealership may not even had known about it himself since im sure all he looks at is the fax report. as far as the engine bay being repainted, that sounds kinda iffy to me. maybe he had good intentions in repainting it for a higher resale value or maybe he noticed the front end repairs and actually tried to hide it, its hard to tell and with a clean fax report it could go both ways.

#4 ·
ok but i do remember one of my buddies looking at it and the dealer told him it was in an accident- now the owner said he would send me pics of the paint process but never did after i asked him over n over.

it wasnt just a fender bender- you can see the welds/ pinch welds a body shop did and the sanding of the welds on both sides of the car.
Its not like the engine bay was beautifully painted-its the dual red paint any car comes with from factory- its just the bondo is starting to pop off, y bondo the engine bay????

#5 ·
did the previous owner weld any of the extra holes up and put bondo over it. alot of people do those kind of touch ups just to make the engine bay look cleaner. thats about the only reason why i can think of for having bondo in the engine bay. can you post some pics of so we can get a better idea as to what your talking about.

#8 ·
Quick question. What would be the gain from the litigation? In other words, why would you really sue? (assuming the car drives ok).

And to answer your question. Yes you CAN sue. You can sue even if the car was 100% perfect.

#10 ·
this is a good question-- i guess the reason would be for lying about the car and not having a perfect supra-- if i was to know that about the car i would have never got it as most of yall out there....Money is the only thing I would be after so i can clean up the look of his fix up

#11 ·
i think people put bondo under the hood to cover the welds..they sand it down smooth so no one cant tell..i bought my mk4 tt also but from a owner from this very forums..told me there was no accident and it never came up on carfax because the owner never report the accident..one day i am washing the car and notice some paint flaking by my driver door handle..red paint was under my baltic blue paint..the door was red and fender..i was pissed but as stated above..the car was straight and just happy i own one of these cars..

#12 ·
CarFax is just a tool to aid in your buying process. Just because Carfax say it's clean doesn't always mean it's clean. Carfax can only show you what has been reported. If the previous owner of a vehicle is involved in an accident and didn't report it; had it repaired outside of an insurance claim then the vehicle will retain its clean title. It's up to the buyer to provide their own expert collision technician to inspect the vehicle on site or at their shop.

I don't know any dealer that would spend money to repaint an entire car unless they can get it done for less than $500 (figuratively speaking), they would just detail the non damage area/parts and only repaint the repaired areas. Remember, the dealer's goal is to sell vehicles, even if it is a used one. If they can buy it for dirt cheap and spend as little in the repair process, sell it for more, then they succeed in the flipping process.

To the op in concerns to the core support/radiator support, body filler is used in engine bay repair to basically clean up the repaired area prior to paint. Usually around welded areas like mig welded areas or alignment holes that was created to align the core support. You should inspect the hood to see if it is a new hood or the old one but repaired and behind the front bumper to see if their is any repairs done. Two possible damage scenarios, first if there is repair indicators to the top of the bumper (where the Toyota emblem is) then it could have been a high hit where only the top of the bumper, some hood damage, and top of the core support is damage. They could've replaced the core support or repaired it. Secondly if there is repair indicators to center middle or other areas of the bumper or no repair indicators then it could've been a more frontal hit where the bumper, hood, core support, reinforcement, condenser, radiator, possibly headlamps and all items were replace or repaired if they were repairable.

Just my $0.02, I'll stop ranting now, shouldn't had that large cup of coffee. ^_^

#15 ·
if i were you i would ask my self if its really worth. think of it this way, you said that you had the car for a year and it took you a year to find out that the car was in an accidents that can only tell me that the car looks and dives nice :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.