Caring for the A340 Factory automatic trans / built or stock - Page 2

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Caring for the A340 Factory automatic trans / built or stock

yes thats what im asking. what do you wire in and where to allow lock up manually on hwy driving with a stock ecu?

2. Remove Advertisements
    SupraForums.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by mwsupra23 View Post
    yes thats what im asking. what do you wire in and where to allow lock up manually on hwy driving with a stock ecu?
    On the ECU harness have a switch on 14B to ground out IIRC.
    Last edited by tissimo; 08-31-2011 at 12:42 PM.

92 Supra Turbo - Project 2019
    90 Supra Turbo - 1jz, HX40, EMU Classic, FIC 1200s
    87 Supra Hardtop - 7m, 60-1 bolt-on, EMU Black, ID 1050x

k. noob question. I am assuming that these rules also apply to mk3 a340e's. If this is the case, what do you do if you want to do a pull on the highway? do you turn off o/d, perform pull, then turn o/d back on? or is it not good to turn o/d on and off while driving? I am assuming turning off/on will occur around 50mph?

5. Remove Advertisements
    SupraForums.com
    Advertisements

Tap onto the 14B wire, dont cut it. Run a ground to a switch.

Also, dont forget to turn it off when braking or downshifting! You can do some real damage to the clutch if you turn it on at the wrong time. That is why it took me 7 years to get up the nerve to install it. When you hit the brake, the TC is supposed to unlock.

I wanted to install a lighted switch, but I was afraid to run power to the switch, since when the switch was off, power would run to the TC wire! I even was going to run the power thru a relay.

tissimo: do you have a lighted switch?

Al
    94TT Auto, 6466
    [email protected] 27 psi 4/16/16
    Previous setup: HKS Twin 2835's
    [email protected] 32 psi, 10/29/06

Previous car: 90 Talon AWD, 5 spd, FP Red (60-1)
    [email protected] built motor, 28 psi, Sept 2000

Quote Originally Posted by lithium14 View Post
    k. noob question. I am assuming that these rules also apply to mk3 a340e's. If this is the case, what do you do if you want to do a pull on the highway? do you turn off o/d, perform pull, then turn o/d back on? or is it not good to turn o/d on and off while driving? I am assuming turning off/on will occur around 50mph?
    If you want to do a pull, just punch it! The car will downshift to 3rd, then when you let off, it will shift to OD. Now if you are making a pass at the track, or expect to redline it in 3rd, then turn off OD, and turn it back on just as you're letting off.

On my car, if I am just cruising in 3rd and manually shift to O/D, it clunks really hard. That is why I only turn it off at the track.

Al

there is some great info in this thread.

Thanks to all who are contributing.
    1989 Nissan 240sx 19,000 Original miles | 2JZ-GTE | PT6266 | Titan 3500 Stall | FIC 750s | AEM EMS V2
    2010 Toyota Prius - 50+ MPG Daily
    2008 Lexus IS350 - Few light mods.

Quote Originally Posted by T6Rocket View Post
    If you want to do a pull, just punch it! The car will downshift to 3rd, then when you let off, it will shift to OD. Now if you are making a pass at the track, or expect to redline it in 3rd, then turn off OD, and turn it back on just as you're letting off.

On my car, if I am just cruising in 3rd and manually shift to O/D, it clunks really hard. That is why I only turn it off at the track.

Al
    hmmm ok I'm still just a little bit confused, if I punched it while in OD and the trans downshifts to 3rd, won't the eventual shift back to OD be what the OP is addressing in terms of the clutch pack not being able to handle the power? Sorry for the redundancy, I just want to fully understand what I am doing since I am about to replace my trans and I don't want to be treating it wrong =D

Function over form
    Quote Originally Posted by lithium14 View Post
    hmmm ok I'm still just a little bit confused, if I punched it while in OD and the trans downshifts to 3rd, won't the eventual shift back to OD be what the OP is addressing in terms of the clutch pack not being able to handle the power? Sorry for the redundancy, I just want to fully understand what I am doing since I am about to replace my trans and I don't want to be treating it wrong =D
    If you floor it in OD then the trans will unlock the converter and kickdown to 3rd gear. The transmission won't shift back in to 4th gear until you redline or let off the gas. That's why you turn OD off so it stays in 3rd gear until you decide to put it in 4th.

Get the car moving in overdrive. Push the accelerator all the way to the floor. Let the transmission shift.
    Last edited by kaos; 08-31-2011 at 03:58 PM.

2JZ-GE | Turbonetics T66 | AEM

Quote Originally Posted by T6Rocket View Post
    Tap onto the 14B wire, dont cut it. Run a ground to a switch.

Also, dont forget to turn it off when braking or downshifting! You can do some real damage to the clutch if you turn it on at the wrong time. That is why it took me 7 years to get up the nerve to install it. When you hit the brake, the TC is supposed to unlock.

I wanted to install a lighted switch, but I was afraid to run power to the switch, since when the switch was off, power would run to the TC wire! I even was going to run the power thru a relay.

tissimo: do you have a lighted switch?

Al
    I have a stock ECU, I just let it do its thing. No switch or anything.

As for the OD thing, the gear is weaker (think stock clutch on a manual car, vs upgraded on 1-3 gears). Its weaker and can overpower it to causing it to slip throw clutch material through your trans and will develop other issues.

For best longevity and least likely to kill the trans DO NOT GO WOT UNTIL O/D SWITCH IS OFF.

When switching OD Off/on be off throttle for the smoothest transition.
    Last edited by tissimo; 08-31-2011 at 04:08 PM.

Additional info on converter lockup in post #2.
    Matt
    95 Supra Turbo - 1.33 60ft / [email protected] / [email protected] / NO nitrous / PTE7275 / 3.0L / BoostLogic TOYOTA auto / PFSupercars Tuned
    Sponsors - BoostLogic, Elmhurst Toyota, Driveshaft Shop, Ferrea, Freed Engineering, Fuel Injector Clinic, Gates, Headgames Motorworks, HFR Fabrication, Justice Racing Engines, Kelford Cams, PFSupercars, Real Street Performance, Wiseco

Follow our Drag Racing progress - www.facebook.com/1320motorsports

OK so is it better to just drive with the.OD off all the time?

This is what I followed when I installed my TC lockup: http://www.ttbomb.com/tmp/lockup/lockup_led.JPG

TTBOMB.com
    10.51 at 132.25
    679rwhp & 576ft/lbs

Rule #6 - External trans filter mount with the CORRECT type of filter on it. Its $28 for the bracket on summit racing. The filter you want is a Napa #1624 - this is a $20 filter, it is designed for hydraulic/transmission use, and filters to 19 microns. Put this filter BEFORE YOUR FIRST COOLER. The point is not so much to keep the fluid clean as it is to keep junk out of the coolers.

theres a couple different filter mounts on there site for $28 do you happen to know the part number for the one you run? i only ask so that i get the one that uses the filter from napa and not always have to order from summit. thanks

thats the one i thought was it!! thanks again

up

Quote Originally Posted by TT BomB View Post
    This is what I followed when I installed my TC lockup: http://www.ttbomb.com/tmp/lockup/lockup_led.JPG
    That is the same diagram everyone uses, but I have not seen the Radio Shack light option. Where does that tap in?

The problem that I saw (with my limited elec expertise!) is that you are sending a ground to the TC lockup instead of power. So, getting a lighted switch to light with a relay was no problem, but when the switch was off, power would be going to the TC lockup.

Al

hey guys question..when running the trans cooler on the pass side..do i run the cooler ..from the stock cooler then to aftermarket trans then straight back to transmission?

do i use -6 fittings and lines as well?

No, do not use the stock trans cooler, bypass it.
    1994 Red/Black TT
    86K miles
    Roller...6 speed swap coming soon

ok bypass this by buying another aftermarket trans cooler? if so what size would be ideal to use..do i need a fan on this one as well or no since the other trans cooler will have one?

I only run one cooler, so you will have to ask Matt about that one. I use a HUGE B&M with a fan and never felt the need for a 2nd cooler.

Jason

thanks bro..i think i will stick to one cooler with a fan

Quote Originally Posted by HotSoup View Post
    No, do not use the stock trans cooler, bypass it.
    Any reason not to use the stock cooler? I would use it if available. I would run it out of the trans to the Aftermarket cooler then to the stock cooler though, to minimize the heat put into the coolant system. My radiator was leaking so bought a Koyo and just have 2 aftermarket fanless coolers.

Quote Originally Posted by tissimo View Post
    Any reason not to use the stock cooler? I would use it if available. I would run it out of the trans to the Aftermarket cooler then to the stock cooler though, to minimize the heat put into the coolant system. My radiator was leaking so bought a Koyo and just have 2 aftermarket fanless coolers.
    This is what was explained to me by one of the best converter builders in the states(Greg Slack). Why would you want to put trans fluid into a radiator that is 180+ degrees, the point is to cool it down...not keep it hot! Remember, even though its a separate part of the radiator it still gets heat from the radiator fluid which is HOT.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

List your Car(s)

Where you live

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Your Supra's Vehichle Identification Number (Not visible to the public)

Log-in