Caring for the A340 Factory automatic trans / built or stock - Page 3

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Caring for the A340 Factory automatic trans / built or stock

Quote Originally Posted by tissimo View Post
    Any reason not to use the stock cooler? I would use it if available. I would run it out of the trans to the Aftermarket cooler then to the stock cooler though, to minimize the heat put into the coolant system. My radiator was leaking so bought a Koyo and just have 2 aftermarket fanless coolers.
    I do not use the stock cooler because I dont want my trans fluid getting to 220degrees just by going through the hot coolant system

If you're worried about your trans fluid being too cold, buy an inline thermostat

Matt
    Matt
    95 Supra Turbo - 1.33 60ft / [email protected] / [email protected] / NO nitrous / PTE7275 / 3.0L / BoostLogic TOYOTA auto / PFSupercars Tuned
    Sponsors - BoostLogic, Elmhurst Toyota, Driveshaft Shop, Ferrea, Freed Engineering, Fuel Injector Clinic, Gates, Headgames Motorworks, HFR Fabrication, Justice Racing Engines, Kelford Cams, PFSupercars, Real Street Performance, Wiseco

Follow our Drag Racing progress - www.facebook.com/1320motorsports

2. Remove Advertisements
    SupraForums.com
    Advertisements

ok so you guys think it will be better to run stock cooler to aftermarket then to transmission or aftermarker cooler to stock cooler then to transmission?

i just spoke with the guys who built my transmission and they just told me stick to one cooler and the stock

keep this in mind fellas..i dont drag race and i hardly use this car..but if i do it will be some long distance driving or just cruising local
    Last edited by Boosting89; 09-15-2011 at 07:48 AM.

do not run stock cooler period.

5. Remove Advertisements
    SupraForums.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by HotSoup View Post
    This is what was explained to me by one of the best converter builders in the states(Greg Slack). Why would you want to put trans fluid into a radiator that is 180+ degrees, the point is to cool it down...not keep it hot! Remember, even though its a separate part of the radiator it still gets heat from the radiator fluid which is HOT.
    Makes sense, but I think it would still benefit. I dont think the bottom of the radiator is 180*, and assume its 150-160. Under load conditions, I dont think a cooler would lower the temps below that, so would still be pulling heat out. This is just my assumption.

92 Supra Turbo - Project 2019
    90 Supra Turbo - 1jz, HX40, EMU Classic, FIC 1200s
    87 Supra Hardtop - 7m, 60-1 bolt-on, EMU Black, ID 1050x

Quote Originally Posted by Boosting89 View Post
    ok so you guys think it will be better to run stock cooler to aftermarket then to transmission or aftermarker cooler to stock cooler then to transmission?

i just spoke with the guys who built my transmission and they just told me stick to one cooler and the stock

keep this in mind fellas..i dont drag race and i hardly use this car..but if i do it will be some long distance driving or just cruising local

The B&M cooler with the fan should be plenty by itself.
    "Obedience breeds discipline, discipline breeds unity, unity breeds power, power is life."
    Member since Aug. 2003
    1993 1JZ SC300
    1994 6766, BL AUTO, PI3800, FIC 850 fuel setup, twin denso pumps, Greddy FMIC and a few other things

thanks for all the great advice guys..one more question...what is the best route to run? stock cooler>>>aftermarket cooler>>transmission? or after market cooler>>>stock cooler>>transmission?

Another n00b question!!! for the is300 trans pan and oil pump... wut year is300 are we talking about? are these components identical for all years of a340e's? or do i have to find an older version that works on mk3 a340e's? O.o

thanks for all the great advice guys..one more question...what is the best route to run? stock cooler>>>aftermarket cooler>>transmission? or after market cooler>>>stock cooler>>transmission?

Keep the stock cooler out of the system completely. Forget you even have the stock cooler and just run the Big cooler with the fan we looked at

so basically just run one cooler? wouldnt it be better just to have the stock cooler there as well?

sorry for all the dum questions guys, this is my first time dealing with a automatic ..

Quote Originally Posted by 1320ms View Post
    I do not use the stock cooler because I dont want my trans fluid getting to 220degrees just by going through the hot coolant system

If you're worried about your trans fluid being too cold, buy an inline thermostat

Matt
    This is the reason why you dont want to run the stock cooler

I have never had any issues with running the fluid thru the stock cooler, then thru the 28,000 B&M, then back to the tranny. I cant see the stock cooler adding heat to the fluid once the car is at normal temps. Stabilize temps, yes. Add heat, no.

Mine is street driven, and even with the stock cooler still in-line, it takes a couple miles for the clutch to lock-up on cold days, because of the add'l cooler. My coolant temps with a stock T-stat were 203 deg on a Techtom. Now I have a TRD stat, and it is typically ~195 deg.

Priorities for a street/strip car are different than a strip-only car.

Al
    94TT Auto, 6466
    [email protected] 27 psi 4/16/16
    Previous setup: HKS Twin 2835's
    [email protected] 32 psi, 10/29/06

Previous car: 90 Talon AWD, 5 spd, FP Red (60-1)
    [email protected] built motor, 28 psi, Sept 2000

SupraForums Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HotSoup View Post
    This is what was explained to me by one of the best converter builders in the states(Greg Slack). Why would you want to put trans fluid into a radiator that is 180+ degrees, the point is to cool it down...not keep it hot! Remember, even though its a separate part of the radiator it still gets heat from the radiator fluid which is HOT.
    Then why would Toyota put a trans cooler in the radiator? They were stupid?

Quote Originally Posted by KevinB6876 View Post
    There is no other cooler.

If running the stock cooler, it would be best to run it to the stock one then an aftermarket to pull the most heat out of the fluid.

Instead of going through the trouble of routing through the stock cooler just buy another b&m without the fan and run 2. Simply because if you ever upgrade the radiator you won't be able to use the stock cooler anymore anyhow. So you won't have to buy more trans line and route lines all over again.

Another n00b question!!! for the is300 trans pan and oil pump... wut year is300 are we talking about? are these components identical for all years of a340e's? or do i have to find an older version that works on mk3 a340e's? O.o

SupraForums Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinB6876 View Post
    Cost? Same reason they used a water-to-oil engine cooler. It's better than nothing and decent enough for stock.

ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็ ส็็็ 93MSB's Avatar
    heres the part number for the deep pan, also came on the gs300

Question...the metal lines that runs to the transmission..can i just keep them metal or do i change them to steel braided lines..if so..do anyone know the fittings used in order to run braided lines to the transmission?

Question...the metal lines that runs to the transmission..can i just keep them metal or do i change them to steel braided lines..if so..do anyone know the fittings used in order to run braided lines to the transmission?
    dude just keep the hard line. the DP is inches from the linee ,braided lines might melt. also there is no difference in size ,-6an is 3/8 and the factory hard line is 10MM

thanks, so i guess the only lines that will be steel braided will be the ones comming from the aftermarket trans cooler?

thanks, so i guess the only lines that will be steel braided will be the ones comming from the aftermarket trans cooler?
    yes . thats the way i did mine with two cooler. one 10x7 B&Mand one 10x13 DERALE both wit fan.

Quote Originally Posted by mikesautoservices View Post
    dude just keep the hard line. the DP is inches from the linee ,braided lines might melt. also there is no difference in size ,-6an is 3/8 and the factory hard line is 10MM
    Unbolting/bolting the hard lines gets to be tedious - literally cuts time in half to remove trans by going with braided lines. I went with Goodridge Teflon lines rated to over 400deg and put 1500deg firesleeves over them, no issues. The Goodridge teflon -6 is a larger inner diameter than any other -6 I've seen, and its got a smaller outer diameter to boot.. real slick stuff.

wrap the DP and run braided lines.....thats what im going with.
    1994 Red/Black TT
    86K miles
    Roller...6 speed swap coming soon

So the only advantage of this is that it makes taking out the trans easier?

So the only advantage of this is that it makes taking out the trans easier?
    Theres a few advantages, flexibility, you can run them where you want, etc..

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

List your Car(s)

Where you live

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Your Supra's Vehichle Identification Number (Not visible to the public)

Log-in