Supra Forums banner

My Build Thread...1989 7M Resurrection :)

24K views 147 replies 44 participants last post by  99ROLLA 
#1 ·
The project hasn't 100% begun quite yet, but the car and all the parts are here and now it's just a matter of going through it all, taking an inventory of everything, getting parts and engine bay cleaned up, and start the assembly and getting it all back together. My expectation currently is mid to late summer for completion if all goes as planned. We all know most of the time it doesn't, but I'm not in any huge hurry to finish and plan on taking my time and doing it right.

The car has been sitting for 2 years and was burning oil pretty bad prior to it being parked so there is plenty of dirt and grime and oil, but almost all of these parts have under 500 miles on them as the oil burning issue happened very shortly after the car was completed. All in all given all the parts on here and ready to be put on, I feel I got a great deal and a car that can be pretty nice when I'm done. Goal is 450rwhp and leave it at that. I'm not here to win any contests or drag race or road race. This is just going to be a fun and hopefully reliable car that I can enjoy.

A Couple Questions on a Few Parts

1. I know this car has the Lipp SupraSport turbo on it. It has the 3" inlet so I know it is the TO4E and the compressor says .60. However on their site there is a 60 and a 60-1. Is there any way to identify this turbo so I can know exactly what I have?

2. The clutch. It's a six puck with a red pressure plate as you will see in the pictures. No part#'s or identifying labels of any kind. Any ideas what brand and type it could be?

The car already has quite a list of mods and I don't plan on changing or adding to them. Given what's already here, I think I can have a pretty damn solid car when it's done. This is what I know I've got so far

- Lipp SupraSport turbo
- Fuel system w/ 550's, Lex, Walbro, AFPR, AFC Neo
- Spearco IC, Hardpipe kit, HKS BOV
- BRAND NEW 7M Shortblock never used or installed (I have NO IDEA where it came from)
- Freshly rebuilt head w/ 5 angle valve job
- Fidanza FW, 6puck clutch, single piece Aluminum Driveshaft
- ST Swaybars, Slotted rotors, PBX pads
- BIC Downpipe, RT Cat, RSR exhaust
- Centerline Wheels, Kumho tires

That's not all of it, but I could be here all day with all of it. That's the majority of things. For now the plan is to put the new shortblock in place of the old one and keep the old one for a build later if I want to go further. Everything else has almost no miles on it so hopefully all goes together well. We've got a new gasket kit and everything will be taken apart, cleaned, and put back together.

Now some pictures. I will update as often as I can but probably will only be cleaning and organizing for at least till then. After that some real progress should be made.

Last night after we got everything home:

Both motors and some of the parts ;)

Blown bottom end but everything else less than 500 miles

Closer shot of turbo in case anyone can identify it

Clutch and other parts

Pile of parts in the back hatch :)

Brand New ZERO mile shortblock just waiting

And finally the mess that will be all my spare time for the forseeable future :D

Again any help with the turbo and clutch questions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

See less See more
#5 ·
Man that engine bay picture is depressing. He should have taken all of that stuff out when he pulled the engine. Oh well, that will definitely keep you pretty busy.

Lewis spent a ton of money on that car, you have some really nice parts in there. I spent a lot of time wrenching on that thing.

From everything that I remember, the turbo is a Boss 500 from Hybrid Motorsports.
You can contact Jeff there, and he should be able to tell you exactly which turbo he sold to Lewis.
http://notrice.com/shop/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=2&products_id=94
http://www.supramania.com/forums/sh...upgraded-P-trim)-for-sale&p=459341#post459341

The clutch is an Action clutch from Driftmotion.
http://store.driftmotion.com/static/i-actionstage3clutchkitforr154.php

The block is a shortblock from Toyota, never been installed.
http://www.supraforums.com/forum/sh...block-BNIB-ZERO-miles-(NOT-quot-rebuilt-quot-)

It also has a brand new wiring harness from Toyota, and all brand new water pump, shimmed oil pump with braided hose upgrade.
http://store.driftmotion.com/static/i-7moilpumphose-8an.php

Here are some pictures from TX2K8

#6 ·
Damn Lance! You just had to show those pictures and really make it REALLY look depressing :)

Oh I was able to find most of the parts that I talked to you about earlier today. Almost all of them I've found so far.

Today I got the transmission out, driveshaft out, exhaust out, and the wiring harness out so it's looking much better. Unfortunately the tranny drain plug is nearly round so I wasn't able to get it out :(. But, out came the engine hoist, lifted the transmission up in the air upside down and let it drain out the rear seal. Not the best way to do it I know, but it got the job done :D

#7 ·
Is that cam gear cover actually cut and open or is there clear plastic just to show the cams? Never seen one like it and I really want one after seeing this!

#9 ·
Boy Dave really let that car decay. Fucking shame, man. Actually, it pisses me off because that was top 5 most gorgeous supras in the world. Ah well, I know Trents standards and with the rajun cajun by his side, I have every bit of confidence this will be back in pristine form.

#27 ·
Dave as in FSTOY?

Glad to see you restoring this car back to the way it should still be Trent, ill definately be keeping an eye on this thread.

#11 · (Edited)
And now for the first big update to the project. Lance and I spent the better part of yesterday taking everything off the old motor and disassembling and starting the cleaning process and getting things organized and ready to go onto the new motor. When I left yesterday every last stud, plug, nut, etc was off of the old block and hopefully things are going to keep progressing nicely. I've got some more parts to order, but in the mean time, there is plenty of cleaning and preparing to do before it all goes back together.

Here's a few pictures of the tear down process so far. Note that this motor and head has maybe 500 miles or even less on it and EVERYTHING had just been done to it including a full head rebuild, oil pump and lines, water pump, timing set, etc.

Now here is where it gets interesting! The motor was running ok and was not smoking any oil or anything else. However, #1 cylinder had ZERO compression in it and it was dumping quarts of oil into the intercooler and plumbing. Could not figure out why. Upon first look when we got the head off, we see this. Sure looks like good cross hatching to me, aside from the bug in there it looked pretty good :)

And then we took the piston out. Turns out some cheap Chinese knock off was used by someone when they rebuilt it last and in the span of less than 500 miles, this is what happened to that piston.

The chunks and pieces in the foreground are actually pieces of the piston in the gaps between the rings. Thankfully it didn't come apart inside the motor, so it doesn't appear much damage, if any, was done to the block. I plan on someday building this spare block so I'm happy to find that it didn't appear to have damaged much in that regard.

Now it's just a matter of getting some new parts and getting the brand new shortblock on the stand and let the real fun begin :)

#12 ·
I had a set of similar 'Nippon' pistons just completely fall apart on me in the exact same way. No detonation at all, it just didn't like existence at ~400whp.

What pistons are you going to replace them with? Any other bottom end mods you'll be making?

#13 ·
What pistons are you going to replace them with? Any other bottom end mods you'll be making?
No idea just yet. I'm sure this motor will just sit for quite awhile before I have a chance to do anything to it. I'm hoping this brand new short block is going to last a hell of a long time and hopefully can avoid having to do any major work to it for at least a few years, if not more.

When the time comes to build this block, I haven't even thought about what I'd do or how I'd build it honestly.

#14 ·
Hello fellow Austinite!!! Seems everysingle MK3 in Austin is down for rebuilds lol. Except perhaps Rajunz's? JE has their new super lightweight pistons that are pretty badass. Anyways, it looks good! All us Supra guys ought to meet up sometime when our cars are all done.

#20 ·
Wow Lance once again never ceases to impress and goes above and beyond :D Thank you! Those parts are going to look awesome :)

I spent today cleaning up the engine bay and trying to make sense of how the stereo and gauges were wired back there too.

I went ahead and ordered all new gauges for the car including ProSport Boost, Water Temp, and Fuel Pressure for the gauge pod as well as the AEM Wideband for the cigarette lighter hole. Ordered a new HKS 1.2 MHG and about to Paypal someone here for the HKS EVC 5 also. Hopefully just another order or two to Toyota and a few other misc parts and fluids and should be good to go! :)

#21 ·
Trent, glade to see you back buddy! I remember that car from way back from all the tx2k pictures especially the ones of it parked next to Lance's supra. Lance glade to see your still trying to preserve your "darker twin" :p.

#22 ·
It's still amazing to me just how similar the two cars are. We are building the motor over at his house and looking at his car and then coming home and looking at mine, there are A LOT of similarities. I'm trying to mix it up a bit and change some things and make it mine. The gauges and a few interior mods are first and once it gets running and finished, I'm sure I'll come up with a few more things after that :D

Oh the gauges in the pictures that are in the A-pillar will all be for sale here very shortly once I get them out. They are the Autometer Ultra-Lite's and they are mechanical boost, electric water temp, and narrow band A/F ratio. Will be selling very cheap to hopefully re-coop some costs.

#24 ·
That must have been a bad batch of pistons or something. I had NPR pistons in my last 7m that took all of abuse. The motor was built in 2006 by me and went into a friends car. He had a stock ct, then a 60-1 ct, then another stock ct at 17psi after I got it back. I put my t88 on it and my rod bearings went before the pistons did. I was running 14psi and a 4th gear pull was the final nail in the coffin for the bearings. My 3-4 cylinders were detonating hard and hammered the upper bearing shell down to the steel. But the pistons still looked good! I was really surprised. I was ready to see melted crowns.

I do recognize that oil pump feed line! At least It wasn't an oil related failure.

#25 · (Edited)
Interesting, I didn't realize these were NPR pistons. They say Teikin on the underside of them and after doing some more research it looks like these are made by Teiken but packaged and shipped by NPR and they are made in Indonesia. Seems really weird that only that one messed up though. May have to take the other 5 out and see if anything happened to them too. Thanks for the info flybyux2.

Engine management is only going to be an AFC Neo for now. Already came with the car and I know it's more than capable of tuning in the power range that I'll be at. Fuel system is already there and Lex AFM and Neo too so I'm going to use that and see how it does.

#26 · (Edited)
Lol, funny I ran across this thread. I bought my first Supra way back in the day after seeing this car and lusting over it many many years ago. My first Supra was a Black/tan turbo/154 just like yours. Lol, this car will always have a soft spot in my heart <3. I hope to see this thing back up and on the prowl soon! Best of luck.

With the mushy/gushy out of the way, can I please see some more pics of the carbon fiber overlay on top of the dash? It is very curious looking. Doodoo brown is cool as fuck for all the newbs making faces behind their computer screen.

#32 ·
......with the mushy/gushy out of the way, can I please see some more pics of the carbon fiber overlay on top of the dash? It is very curious looking.......
Lewis took an old dash covered it with Carbon Fiber cloth, then fiberglass resin, trimmed it all up real nice and then burried it in automotive clear. It came out real nice, but looks like it will need to be re cleared since sitting out in the sun for a few years.

#30 ·
I had read about that in a few other places, but this tuner was used to tune this car previously by Justin Nenni and he didn't have a problem with it. I was reading and it appears the only way to get it updated is to send it to Apex'i right? Or is there another way now?

#31 ·
I can pretty much guarantee you that all of the pistons are like that. I did a compression check on it when Lewis had it and every cylinder was low. The wierdest part about it was that the car still started up and drove fine, but it just would fill the intercooler up with quarts of oil every time he built any boost. The oil rings had no way of sealing. When you look at the ring lands, they are all cracked, and you can just start pulling them apart. All of the castings are full of air pockets, definitely crappy Chinese knock offs. Lewis bought a remanufactured short block, and they apparently ripped him off. This all happened within 500 mile break in, not from heavy boosting.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.