Autozone/Pep Boys Radiator? - Page 2

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Autozone/Pep Boys Radiator?

Supra Enthusiast
    Just bought a spectra as I accidentally punctured mine with a tool. Was $255 shipped at napa. But now it's got some metal pipe fittings that seems to be at the bottom unlike my factory one... Not sure why... Anyone else have that? It is a supra one and fits perfect but I need to either plug them or put a small hose between them?

Last edited by LHturbo; 12-17-2012 at 05:18 PM.
    Original 1994 Black/Black Supra TT 6-spd Targa

2. Remove Advertisements
    SupraForums.com
    Advertisements

Automatic Transmission radiator.
    Quote Originally Posted by piercere View Post
    This shit cracks me up. This is what modern medicine has gotten us. No more Natural selection. Now if idiots like this lick a light socket they dont die, the get fixed by doctors only to live another day and drill holes in their air box.

You good sir, are a moron...

Supra Enthusiast
    I was wondering it that's what it was... Gonna have a talk with them tomorrow

5. Remove Advertisements
    SupraForums.com
    Advertisements

With help from a friend - mine installed without any issues.

The fittings at the bottom are a closed system - they will not leak, try running some distilled water through the radiator.

My understanding is that this is the only radiator made these days to accommodate for automatic transmissions but you shouldn't have a problem running it on a 6-speed. I haven't any issues so far, but then again I've only put about 5 miles on the car since the install.
    '93 Toyota Supra TT 6-Speed (Baltic Blue)
    '99 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4 #120/287 (Glacier Pearl White)
    '17 Lexus GS 350 F-Sport (Ultra White)

From the land down under Mr Ree NZ's Avatar
    It will be fine, just leave them alone and dont worry.

I have an auto core in my manual car, and was actually considering running my PS fluid through it to try and keep it slightly cooler on the track. Im not sure of the best temp for the ATF in the PS system, but surely it wouldnt overcool it given it will be passing through a core than is between 85 and 90 deg C most of the time.

Supra Enthusiast
    Oh so it's just a tank at the bottom for the autos. And anything can go through

I put a Mishimoto in my Father's 2JZ-GTE swapped SC300 about 3-4 years ago, and we haven't had any problems at all. No temp problems at all even in the NM heat at high altitude with the A/C blasting. No leaks or fitment issues either, although being an SC300 it has a lot more space for the too-high end tank those early Mishimotos had for the MKIV.

Personally if you've got a 6-spd and don't need to mess around with an integrated AT cooler delete, I'd go for a Mishimoto over the McWhatever AZ brand.
    Jeff
    "I spent a lot of money on booze, chicks and fast cars. The rest I just squandered." -- George Best
    Quote Originally Posted by KING View Post
    Who would have ever thought.....the impact an automobile can make.....

SupraForums Member
    I have a Mishimoto, only problem was the cap that kept leaking. Ordering a new high pressure cap, aside from that never had an issue with it.

As a follow up to this thread - after 3 months the Spectra Premium radiator is starting to fail. There appears to be a bad seal and coolant is leaking out of it. Not happy about having to drain and pull this out and reinstall:

I guess i cant understand the concept of spending the same amount of money for a stock plastic radiator that you can spend for an aluminum larger capacity radiator.

Ill most likely get flame for this but i have CX racing radiator and love it.

Their radiators in my opinion as as good quality as any of the higher name brand rads... I've had mine for over 2 years and not had one problem or over heat or even run over warm and i dont have a fan shroud ( broke when taking old stock rad out ). Literally when i had my stock radiator there would be days in summer where i would run alittle warm when standing still and the last straw for me was when i was boiling and it was leaking water and let the pressure go down and opened the cap and the whole radiator flexed from almost looking like a Bow back to flat.

That was the last straw for me, got my 150 dollar radiator, installed it. never had my temps rise passed the proper operating temp in the middle of the gauge.

I understand mishimoto and all other name brands are good, but cx racing for the price makes some dam good radiators and intercoolers that i personally use on my vehicles and never once had a problem.

Lastly if you have any upgraded parts or single turbo conversion why run a stock rad ? You want to maintain proper water temps for longer especially if/when you decide to upgrade things.

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Supra View Post
    Now that is a shade tree mechanic!

I've ran Megan racing radiator and mishumoto. Both have worked perfect for me. No oem replacements here tho. I'd rather upgrade.
    RSP | S369 SXE | GSC S2 | E85 | OSG RC4

Back from the dead...

I just found a crack in my stock radiator. Are there still issues with aftermarket leaking, fitment probs with newer Mishimotos/Fluidine/etc.?

I am leaning towards an OEM Spectra. Not road racing or tracking the car. Still not even single yet!

Parts are getting harder to find!
    95 TT AUTO BPU Plus or minus a couple pluses. Same Supra since 2000.

I installed a Misimoto X-line about 2 months ago. About 2k miles on it so far and no issues. Install was straight forward with no issues.

-Boris

96 Supra Turbo - T67, E85, R154 - Sold 9/18
    87 Homo Blue MKIII - Sold 8/08
    BorHor's Blog & SmugMug

The Spectra radiator is crap, I would avoid it.

The first Mishimoto I had leaked from the filler neck, they sent me a second one no questions asked and it has worked well, just a PITA to go through the install again.

SupraForums Member
    The ebay radiators have worked fine for me so far (megan, cxracing, mishimoto). Small single, sub 500 though.

Good feedback, but aside from the old-school Fluidine, no real trustworthy products out there. I have an AT, so an additional cooler would be required for the Moshimoto. Not out of the realm for adding longevity to my tranny. I was leaning towards the OEM Koyo with the built in tranny cooler.

I found just a tiny hairline fracture in the upper tank cap. So I prepped, soldiered in more plastic, and applied Liquid Steel 2-part epoxy. That stuff seems amazing. We'll see if it holds for the short-term.

SupraForums Member
    Quote Originally Posted by suprajake View Post
    Back from the dead...

I just found a crack in my stock radiator. Are there still issues with aftermarket leaking, fitment probs with newer Mishimotos/Fluidine/etc.?

I am leaning towards an OEM Spectra. Not road racing or tracking the car. Still not even single yet!

Parts are getting harder to find!
    I've had a Mishimoto for around 2 years now. I have a leak somewhere. Not sure if it is radiator. They said if it is the radiator to email them a picture and for $26 the will send me another with no need to mail back the core.
    Supra owner since 2001
    Ravan Rebuilt V160

Jaws...
    That's good customer service... HOWEVER... does not negate the fact that you must R&R your radiator. I feel your frustration.

I'll stay away from Moshimoto. I don't like re-doing my work. I'm a one-and-done kind of guy.

SupraForums Member 2JZ_Freak_SE's Avatar
    Dang I've read threads about crappy fluidyne radiator fitment and craftsmanship, now you guys are saying Mishimoto leaks. What's left Koyo radiators?
    I am looking for an Authentic TRD or MVP Widebody side skirts, rear fender, and bump.

SupraForums Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 2JZ_Freak_SE View Post
    Dang I've read threads about crappy fluidyne radiator fitment and craftsmanship, now you guys are saying Mishimoto leaks. What's left Koyo radiators?
    I don't know if mine is leaking. I have a coolant leak somewhere. I basically called them to see what their policy was. Just in case it was the radiator. It very well might not be.

Quote Originally Posted by suprajake View Post
    Jaws...
    That's good customer service... HOWEVER... does not negate the fact that you must R&R your radiator. I feel your frustration.

I'll stay away from Moshimoto. I don't like re-doing my work. I'm a one-and-done kind of guy.
    I hear you on that. I just don't know where my leak is honestly.

SupraForums Member
    My Koyo somehow rusted through on the top of the core and is leaking. Never had a tool up in there, and the fins look alright. No overheating either. Koyo doesnt do refunds or returns, you have to go through the dealer you bought it from. Frustrating when you pay that much and the company doesnt want any say in the warranty. Oh well, thats why I have a mishimoto sitting in my garage, ready for install

Im just glad I was able to buy a "good" Fluidyne a few years ago...it seems as if all the new radiators are hit/miss
    1994 Red/Black TT
    86K miles
    Roller...6 speed swap coming soon

SupraForums Member 2JZ_Freak_SE's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianO'Connor View Post
    My Koyo somehow rusted through on the top of the core and is leaking. Never had a tool up in there, and the fins look alright. No overheating either. Koyo doesnt do refunds or returns, you have to go through the dealer you bought it from. Frustrating when you pay that much and the company doesnt want any say in the warranty. Oh well, thats why I have a mishimoto sitting in my garage, ready for install
    I guess if they all have issues then might as well go with Mishimoto. Sort of like buying electronics at Costco. Just keep taking them back when they fail.

Blog Entries
    Pretty hard to fuck up making a radiator IMO, of coarse I say that and I had to return 2 Mishimoto radiators because of leaks at the filler neck. You are probably good with the parts store brand.
    Downside to owning a Supra

Quote Originally Posted by -defi- View Post
    down side? when girls get in and ask "where is the cup holder?"..... real question.... "Who the F*%! said you could bring a drink in here?!".

Well I dont know about the rest, but I've used Mishimoto in 3 different cars over the past 7 years and never had any issues with them. Thats just me though.
    98 IJM 6spd Supra-1XXXhp

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

List your Car(s)

Where you live

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Your Supra's Vehichle Identification Number (Not visible to the public)

Log-in