Autozone/Pep Boys Radiator? - Page 3

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Autozone/Pep Boys Radiator?

Wow... it's hit or miss. The problem appears to be the corrosiveness of the coolant. Yes, it seems to be cool to have an all-aluminum "upgraded" radiator that has been pressure tested after manufacturing. (WTF? Pressurized with what? Water or air? Not 20,000+ miles of glycol ethanol/Toyota red mix.) When the coolant eats through the material, the radiator is worthless!

I'm tired of sub-par parts. If my intercooler hose had not blown off of my intake manifold and smashed into my shroud/upper tank... my original OEM Toyota composite radiator would be fine!!!!!!! And ready to last another 100K miles!!!!
    95 TT AUTO BPU Plus or minus a couple pluses. Same Supra since 2000.

2. Remove Advertisements
    SupraForums.com
    Advertisements

SupraForums Member
    If I had a MKIV and it was not a DD, i would invest in a quality aftermarket radiator, unless of course i had plans to sell it then OEM. I can tell you on the turbo is300, the stock is300 Koyo treated me right. On my GS300 I am replacing it with a Denso OEM one from Rockauto to the tune of 85 bucks shipped to my door, as the original one was good for about 230k miles , so well overdue. Also always toyota red/50/50 mix but i can tell you after seeing all of the corrosion even that had in the hoses, thermostat, waterneck, etc. I am seriously thinking about converting it over to Evan's waterless and see how that goes for a good bit. Just my 2cents.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    2001 Lexus IS300 Stock (Sold)
    2002 Turbo/IS300 (2jz-ge hybrid) currently getting a new manny
    1993 Lexus GS300 Aristo (light mods - current beater)

Quote Originally Posted by djspock3030 View Post
    If I had a MKIV and it was not a DD, i would invest in a quality aftermarket radiator...
    Ummm... that's what we (Supra TT owners) are talking about. There doesn't seem to be "quality aftermarket radiators" anymore. It's all a gamble with the current options.

If there is a Tundra/Avalon/Lexus/etc OEM radiator that cross-referenced to a Supra TT, then, I'm game for it. I like newer Lexus replacement parts for my Supra!!! But not an option.

No time soon... but imagine how awesome it will be to use 3-D printers to make hard to find replacement parts for our 20 year-old cars!!! Need a wiring harness or sensor??? Just print one out at home!!!!

I actually drove my Supra to Whichititty a couple years ago.

... back to your regularly scheduled program...

5. Remove Advertisements
    SupraForums.com
    Advertisements

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by suprajake View Post
    Imagine how awesome it will be to use 3-D printers to make hard to find replacement parts for our 20 year-old cars!!! Need a wiring harness or sensor??? Just print one out at out.
    Way ahead of you on that front....
    Downside to owning a Supra

Quote Originally Posted by -defi- View Post
    down side? when girls get in and ask "where is the cup holder?"..... real question.... "Who the F*%! said you could bring a drink in here?!".

SupraForums Member
    Bringing thread back up. Looks like only option for auto is a spectra? How are people doing with the spectra radiators?
    93 Alpine Silver TT Auto BPU: HKS Super Dragger, Random Tech hi flow cat, IK22 .032", K&N filter, Synapse DV diverter valve, MVP bcc, ebv spring mod x2 @ 13 psi, wg spring mod x3, innovate SCG-1 ~17 psi, emanage blue

Cooling: AIS W/M injection 12GPH, SM auto trans cooler external filter, CSF rad

Suspension and Handling: TRD front strut bar, bilstein shock/oem spring combo

Quote Originally Posted by shenofjo View Post
    Bringing thread back up. Looks like only option for auto is a spectra? How are people doing with the spectra radiators?
    The Spectre is junk. Mine started leaking a few days after install. I returned it and got a Mishimoto.
    '93 Toyota Supra TT 6-Speed (Baltic Blue)
    '99 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4 #120/287 (Glacier Pearl White)
    '17 Lexus GS 350 F-Sport (Ultra White)

SupraForums Member
    Time for big boy radiator and a proper auto trans cooler then. Will be doing research on that

SupraForums Member
    I had my OEM radiator for my 94 turbo auto with 185k replaced in 2008 due to cracks/leaks. Lonestar Radiator in San Antonio replaced it for a good price, about $400. However, I do not know the brand. It began leaking in 2014 while the car had around 205k on it. A 20,000 mile radiator is NOT ACCEPTABLE. It is set up with the lines for the automatic transmission and I now suspect that this part of the radiator is also failing and causing an overfill condition in the transmission fluid. I suspect this because the MANU light came on randomly twice two nights ago. The MANU light went off when I pressed the MANU button. Then yesterday the MANU light came on randomly as I was leaving the driveway. Again the light turned off when I pressed the button. I then checked my transmission dip-stick to find it was all the way to the top even while the car was cold. No fluid has been added to the transmission in years. Therefore I speculate that the radiator has failed internally and is forcing coolant into the transmission. I believe i have caught the issue in time because the drivability has not been compromised. So, it is likely that the MANU light will come on to warn the driver of this type of issue. Hopefully someone can clarify if I am wrong or offer an alternative reason as to why the MANU light came on. I diagnosed for trouble codes and none were stored.

My boss had an H2 Hummer that had the internal cooling lines for the transmission rupture inside the radiator causing the coolant to flow into the transmission, and, after some unknown amount of time, destroyed the transmission. He had GM replace it under warranty. His story makes me think this is a possible fate for those that run unreliable aftermarket radiators if not caught in time.

Therefore, the only solution for me is an expensive new OEM Toyota radiator. The expense will be offset by the peace of mind that the reliable factory radiator will bring. I can expect this to be the last time I have to change the radiator on this Supra.

Banned
    Never had a problem with my fluidyne.

SupraForums Member
    The dealership told me the radiator has been discontinued. Can someone please verify this?

SupraForums Member
    Quote Originally Posted by supra-raleigh View Post
    The dealership told me the radiator has been discontinued. Can someone please verify this?
    I work at a dealership in parts and I just checked. It is discontinued from Toyota

SupraForums Member
    And the list keeps growing. Un-modified, clean Supra's will just keep growing in value the more stock parts are discontinued. Better to get an aftermarket replacement anyway. Never had a problem with my Fluidyne either, even after a patch job after an unfortunate meeting with Mr. Screwdriver.

SupraForums Member
    Anyone have any experience with Suprastore radiator, our sponser here? Seems like a good deal as it comes with upper and lower hoses and a cap as well. I'm thinking of swapping out my stock one.
    1997tt Targa Black
    2014 Aventador Roadster

SupraForums Member
    I just saw the supastore radiator kit on ebay. So, like 458hawaii said, can anyone give some feedback on it.

Banned
    this is a quote from the owner of suprastore on 458hawaii thread

Quote Originally Posted by KING View Post
    Yes, it absolutely can. It's nearly identical to the Mishimoto radiator, in fact we have ours built in the same factory except with an upgraded core and our kit includes upper and lower high temperature radiator hoses. We've sold probably 50 around the world in a very short period of time and I'm putting one in my car here shortly as well.

SupraForums Member
    I wish someone would make some of these specifically for the turbo automatic with a built in transmission cooler.

SupraForums Member
    guess there's just no market for the aftermarket. *rapping here*

SupraForums Member
    Quote Originally Posted by djspock3030 View Post
    I am seriously thinking about converting it over to Evan's waterless and see how that goes for a good bit. Just my 2cents.
    DJSpock303, did you convert to Evan's waterless? I am considering doing the same and interested in your post conversion experience.

Stay away from the Griffin "OEM Supra Auto Trans" radiator. It does not fit properly... and the stop-cock and, NPT reducer fittings for the A/T cooler were missing.
    AND... the radiator cap does not seal to the filler neck!!!! I have yet to find another cap to seal it completely.

JUNK!!!
    Last edited by suprajake; 08-09-2017 at 01:00 PM.

Return of the Dead - I read the entire thread and I’m wondering if after 2 plus years after the last comment if there’s any new recommendations on a radiator? Mine is leaking at the top. Any recommendations?

Others probably have more relevant information but my Mishimoto from years ago is still running strong, no leaks, no issues.

Quote Originally Posted by IMAGINETHAT View Post
    Others probably have more relevant information but my Mishimoto from years ago is still running strong, no leaks, no issues.
    Good to know. I was looking into Mishimoto. Anyone tried Megan Radiators?

Quote Originally Posted by IMAGINETHAT View Post
    Same. I had my mishimoto x-line for 4+ years, 30k+ miles and no problems.
    -Boris

96 Supra Turbo - T67, E85, R154 - Sold 9/18
    87 Homo Blue MKIII - Sold 8/08
    BorHor's Blog & SmugMug

SupraForums Member
    Ive got the CSF radiator. First time around the radiator was majorly warped and was caught by installer so it had to be returned and second one has no issues for over 2 years now.

My expensive Griffin radiator with concentric transmission cooler is now trashed. Whole top tank leaking in 5-6 places. It lasted 4 years, but the car was only driven 2,000 miles. Griffin offered to sell me a replacement radiator for more than I paid for the first one!!!! WTF?

Any new options in 2019? I saw there is a copper Koyo radiator from Japan, but still requires a separate transmission cooler. It seems our only options now are Koyo and Mishimoto aluminums with additional tranny coolers.

I'm over it. I'd rather have a cheap copper and plastic off-brand radiator that lasts 100,000 miles like my last OEM than spend $$$ for a "high performance" aluminum radiator that disintegrates within a couple thousand miles.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

List your Car(s)

Where you live

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Your Supra's Vehichle Identification Number (Not visible to the public)

Log-in