Unorthodox Idler Pulley??

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Unorthodox Idler Pulley??

Boost Crazy

Unorthodox Idler Pulley??

I'm looking to see if the idler pulley is still available?

Let me know, would like to pick one up.

Chase

2. Remove Advertisements
    SupraForums.com
    Advertisements

MVP Motorsports
    Yes sir we have plenty in stock!

Regards,
    Robert

Still got these in stock?
    '94 Supra GTX4202R - AP built 3.0 - FullRace Equipped.
    '86 AE86 GTS

-T88H-SPL 918rwhp - old setup

5. Remove Advertisements
    SupraForums.com
    Advertisements

MVP Motorsports
    No sir these are currently sold out but we have another batch being made right now.

Regards,
    Robert

SupraForums Member
    I as well...please update the thread when they are back in stock

MVP Motorsports
    Estimated date for completion is 10/11 per Unorthodox guys!

Regards,
    Robert

SupraForums Member
    Sorry for the delays guys, we've been running behind so give Kevin, Robert and the crew at MVP a pass on our behalf

As for the delay the latest thorn in our side has been our local electrical utility, they have been competely upgrading the trunk line to our area so they have feed from two directions if there is an outage. We can't take any chances running the CNC's during the major parts of their upgrades as we can have in serious machine crashes.

They just finished a major junction across the street today so we should finally be running the first side of the idlers tomorrow. Bearings and snap rings are on the way too.

We also wanted to let everyone know this batch will be REV A as we have lightened the idler a bit further and changed the bearing to a new higher speed NTN unit (18K RPM). If you are running 8000+ RPM this new version is for you. The original RS bearing we have been using is only good to 12K RPM which for guys running 8000+ RPM puts you over the bearings limit. Everyone below those RPM numbers is good.

We will also be producing a bearing replacement tool kit for those who need to replace their bearing.

We do not recommend simply upgrading your older UR idler version to the new NTN bearing if you are at or above 8K RPM. We made the bearing bore tolerance closer to hold the bearing tighter due to the higher RPM potential. The higher RPM means more heat which means the aluminum will expand further so it had to be tighter.

We appreicate everyone's patience!

Thank you also to the team at MVP for their fine representation of the UR brand!

Shawn
    UR an AAADEM, LLC Brand
    Hell Bent Race Cars (HBRC) custom long tube header (2, 3 into 1 Burns Collectors), Turbosmart WG, 6765 Billet Divided 1.15 A/R, HBRC 4" aluminum exhaust, Greddy SP can, Greddy Intake, custom rail with center mounted Aeromotive Regulator, 720cc injectors, MVP Triple hanger (twin pumps), HBRC custom Bell Intercooler (4.5 x 28 x 10), AEM V2, B&M New Volt, twin Spal fans, TRD Thermostat, UR Pulleys (crank, alternator, power steering & water pump), UR Cam Gears, UR Kevlar Clutch, Project Mu two piece front rotors, DBA 4000 rears, Hawk HPS pads, Koni yellows, stock springs, CCW SP500 (18 x 10.5 F 18 x 12..5 R) & Nitto NT01 275/35, 315/30.

Any update on these pulleys? Been about 4 weeks since I placed my order.

MVP Motorsports
    I believe they are supposed to ship end of this week early next week. I will get confirmation.

Regards,
    Robert

SupraForums Member
    Sound great! I'll order one as well when available

I'm in for one as well
    94 BLK/TAN, PRO EFI - SP Tuned
    New Build, 8285
    AP Stroker, Headgames Street/Race Head

SupraForums Member
    We want to apologize again for the dealy in getting this production run shipped.

A small batch was shipped to MVP last week and the remainder of the latest production is leaving tomorrow.

Moving forward if any idler needs to have a bearing replacement the servicing will be handled at our facilities as a purchaseable option from our web-site once our major back-end site update is completed by the end of the year.

On another note we have been made aware by MVP that a number or high RPM/HP 2JZ's have exhibited belt throwing on acceleration with our newest generation of pulleys, with no extra shoulder height. The stock belt tensioner/shock assembly is simply unable to handle the massive increases in acceleration high RPM/HP 2JZ's are capable of. As such we have completed the design of a belt tensioner shock replacement kit. The kit will include a solid adjustable tensioner rod to enable proper, locked and immovable belt tension, for the accessory belt. My own personal 1993 TT had exhibited the issue partially by jumping 1 rib at the alternator failry regularly after my latest tune (yielding 625 WHP and running to 8000 RPM). After the solid adjuster rod was installed and belt tensioned properly I was unable to get any throwing even with all of our latest generation pulleys, with no extra shoulder height (including our new stock diameter crank pulley).

The kit should be available in by the end of the year from MVP.

Respectfully,
    Shawn

Wouldn't it be easier to just go back to the old design of pulleys, rather than just to sell an additional product, or is not to the financial benefit of your company? According to the MVP site, in all the years that people were using your pulleys with the higher shoulder height there were never any complaints.

Quote Originally Posted by unorthodox View Post
    We want to apologize again for the dealy in getting this production run shipped.

A small batch was shipped to MVP last week and the remainder of the latest production is leaving tomorrow.

Moving forward if any idler needs to have a bearing replacement the servicing will be handled at our facilities as a purchaseable option from our web-site once our major back-end site update is completed by the end of the year.

On another note we have been made aware by MVP that a number or high RPM/HP 2JZ's have exhibited belt throwing on acceleration with our newest generation of pulleys, with no extra shoulder height. The stock belt tensioner/shock assembly is simply unable to handle the massive increases in acceleration high RPM/HP 2JZ's are capable of. As such we have completed the design of a belt tensioner shock replacement kit. The kit will include a solid adjustable tensioner rod to enable proper, locked and immovable belt tension, for the accessory belt. My own personal 1993 TT had exhibited the issue partially by jumping 1 rib at the alternator failry regularly after my latest tune (yielding 625 WHP and running to 8000 RPM). After the solid adjuster rod was installed and belt tensioned properly I was unable to get any throwing even with all of our latest generation pulleys, with no extra shoulder height (including our new stock diameter crank pulley).

The kit should be available in by the end of the year from MVP.

Respectfully,
    Shawn

SupraForums Member
    The shoulders represent a siginificant amount of useless mass at the worst place, the outer diameter and as we have been continually improving our products for the past 16 years we felt it was the next step. We have been eliminating the shoulders for almost 4 years now as we do subsequent product runs for each pulley part# across our line. The 2JZ is the first engine to ever present a belt jump. We had only just heard about it this past summer from MVP and I just recently began seeing it on my '93, although not a complete jump. The shoulders are an unneccessary bandaid and many oe manufacturers have been slowly eliminating the shoulders in search of weight reduction. Subaru has not had shoulders on their crank pulley since circa 1992 and they are one of the most conservative of all the OE's. The facts are simple in that the 6 rib belt used in 1993 would be an 7 or 8 rib belt if the engine was offered today even at the lower HP levels. That being said the tensioner assembly puts an inadequate amount of tension on the belt for engines running beyond the 600 WHP and 8000+ RPM mark. So we developed the adjustable locking tension rod for owners who have reached or exceeded those levels. So to some things up we are not going to take a step backwards in design, fucntion and weight reduction because the OE component or components are inadequate, due to massive power level increases over stock, at handling the proper tension necessary for the belt to stay put.

The kit will include the tensioner rod and instructions as to how to tension the belt properly for the stretch the stock belt is seeing. The kit wll be relatively inexpensive and it looks great as it will be made out of aluminum and stainless steel.

Respectfully,
    Shawn

Hi Shawn,
    Perhaps then you could make two versions of these pulleys? The good news in all this is that with this forum you have a direct line to what your customers are telling you.

SupraForums Member
    We offer custom machining so sure. As an example a one off p/s pulley would run $450. Its atleast a 5-6 hour job. Redesign the part then we would have to likely make new jaws for the lathe and the mill, as the diameter with the shoulders is higher. Create the new CAM program, then cut some slugs, as we never run one in case of scrapping the parts out, then setup both machines and prove out the programs. Then hand debur the parts, box and ship them.

Other than the custom option we will never stock any of our pulleys with shoulders. Putting the shoulders back on leaves HP on the table, yes small in the grand scheme of the 2JZ's potential output but power none the less.

So for a custom full set of pulleys (including the crank) with shoulders you'd be looking at around $1300, no crank $800. The tension rod will likely retail for $125-150, that's ultimately MVP's call. So the engineering solution, unless money is no object, is to fix what the true failure point is, the stock tensioner setup.

Respectfully,
    Shawn
    Last edited by unorthodox; 11-08-2013 at 02:02 PM.

SupraForums Member
    Is the unorthodox idler pulley in stock again at MVP?

Thanks, Herbert

SF Contributing Member bitshftr's Avatar
    Does anybody know if the Unorthodox idler pulley is still being made (or available)? Or if replacement bearings are available? Mine is starting to chirp when the engine is cold.
    1995 Supra NA, Baltic Blue, targa, TRD LSD, Recaro Sport seats, Cusco carbon fiber front/rear strut tower bars, 97+ front turns
    Passport hardwired, w/ amped remote speakers in seat harness slots
    Hidden/hardwired garage door opener w/ custom Supra dash button

1995 Supra TT, BPU+, Baltic Blue, targa, TRD front/Cusco rear strut tower bars, 98 headlights w/ 6k HIDs, 97+ front turns, BNR turbos, Tial BOV, HKS Super Drager exhaust, SSR Professor SP1 wheels, Racelogic TC, VPC/GCC
    Passport hardwired
    Hidden/hardwired garage door opener w/ custom Supra dash button
    Subtle white LED dash backlights

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

List your Car(s)

Where you live

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Your Supra's Vehichle Identification Number (Not visible to the public)

Log-in