Supra Forums banner

Mechman High Performance MKIV Supra Alternator

24K views 46 replies 27 participants last post by  Texas Two Step 
#1 ·
Street/ Strip Alternator: These alternators feature 6 phase technology, with the same internals as the 2014 Corvette, and is built completely different than the OEM Supra unit. They feature twin internal rectifiers with 12 diodes, which is especially important on the Supras, because the alternator draws it’s cooling air directly off the hotside Turbo plumbing. The 6 phase hairpin stator technology results in a 15% savings in HP, less heat, and DOUBLE the output at idle of the stock Supra alternator. The unit is completely plug and play, and also uses the stock belt. The 170 amp unit comes standard with a steel 67mm diameter pulley on it, so it is suitable for 8,000 RPM engine speed with a stock diameter crank pulley.

Show car/ High Output Alternator: Features 240 amp unit icluding all the same features listed with the street/ strip version. The 240 amp unit is shipped with a 46mm pulley on it to maximize output at idle. A larger pulley can be installed, but the 240 amp unit is more sensitive to pulley ratio than the 170 amp version, and will not make good output at idle with under driven pulley ratios. The 240 amp unit can be used in racing applications without any problems, but will not make as much output at stock idle RPM as the 170 amp unit does. The 240 is more recommended for stereo/show car applications.

More info can be found here: https://www.speedforsale.com/supraparts/mechman-alternators-mechman-high-performance-supra-alternator-p-3276.html

See less See more
#3 ·
For a street driven Supra with an 8200rpm rev limiter (that is frequently "visited") would you recommend the normal pulley or the 75mm? How high can the normal pulley version be regularly revved to safely?

#5 ·
You guys still selling these? Anyone have any feedback?

#6 · (Edited)
i just got mine 2 days ago , the 170 amp model , so yes .. i bought one for 2 reasons .. firstly , im about to switch to the dual 5 blade is300 fan setup for more effective cooling and cleaner engine bay and second , im relocating battery to the trunk so having a stronger new alternator can only help with eliminating any potential issues with charging since my oem unit is well over 13 years old..

dont forget to upgrade your alt charge cable , i bought the phr one , abit expensive , but well put together

#9 ·
Ha..ha.. I just wasted my 2nd alternator in 2 years on the way to Vegas. Not sure why.....the branding on the one that went out was no where to be found. So I just got a new Bosch made unit. I have no "special" electronics, except 2 FPs. I could never wrap my arms around the need for something more than OEM. (in my case) Obviously no downside for getting a better one?

#13 ·
I have the same 240 amp ^^^ as Mojje and been in the car almost a yr and I have it running At 14.5 volts and no issues. My logs show constant voltage through 9K rpm's!

#18 ·
I want one of those The 170 amp ones, seems every supra I know of battery is always going out with in 2 years and needs to be on a battery tender when parked even for a week!

#21 ·
Are the 'Mechman High Performanc​e MKIV Supra Alternator​s in stock at speed for sale?

#25 ·
Really would like to grab one of these, but my car sees well over 8000rpms.

#28 ·
Alright, So I got mine installed today, and have 1 question. In the box there is a list of instructions on how to install the alternator. One of the directions is to make a ground cable of equal gauging and connect it from the mounting point of the alt to the battery negative side. Id Like to know if that is REALLY a necessity or if I can get away without running it to the battery, and just ground it to the car. My battery is in the back of the car, so its a little bit of a pain in the ass to run ANOTHER larger gauged wire to the rear.

Also, 75mm pulley, still wanting to know if it can be sold and for how much?

Thanks

#31 ·
Not necessary, as bluesteel said it grounds itself through the mounting bracket to the block, and you should have a ground cable running from the block to the body (which eventually goes back to the battery).

That being said, running a cable from one of the alternator mounting bolts to the body (not the block, and not the battery) is a good idea and depending on what is ceramic coated or how bad rust/oxidation is on your car you'll notice a difference, or be able to measure a difference.

#29 ·
I just talked with someone at Mechman today. Got some good info. Billet-Tech who apparently is Mechman offers a 10yr warranty through their store, which is a big deal considering all the failures with aftermarket alternators. I would think SpeedforSale offers this too. Pulley choices are between a 63mm or a 75mm. The 63mm pulley will have more output at idle but 8000rpm is the limit. FYI, the 10yr warranty does not cover damage from over revving the alternator, which they said they'll be able to tell once inspected.

Airhead04: If its the standard cast cover, the alternator is already grounded to the block when mounted to the bracket. A heavier gauge block ground cable is advisable though.

#30 ·
I bought one of these high output alternators from Mechman a couple years ago and its rock solid. It did come with the larger pulley, but I had to put the OEM on it because the serp belt didn't fit. I'd like to put the Mechman pulley on it, but do you know what serp belt to buy so it will fit?

#37 ·
Mine worked for years until the fab shop I left my car at decided it needed some metal shavings in it (170amp). I have now acquired another one (240amp), but have yet to run it. As far as customer service goes, they called me to confirm stuff before building it. So I would say that is pretty good customer service/support. Ask me rev limit etc. I know of at least 3 guys running these alts with no issues also.

#38 ·
I run the 240 amp. It’s a great product. Zero voltage issues. I upgraded all the wiring (2/0) at the same time and switched to an Odyssey PC1200 battery. I recommend this setup to everyone.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.