GE Block / GTE Head (Modified GTE Oil Pump ok?)

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: GE Block / GTE Head (Modified GTE Oil Pump ok?)

SupraForums Member

GE Block / GTE Head (Modified GTE Oil Pump ok?)

I came across a few threads that metioned that some of the NA-t people were blowing seals with the GTE oil pump on their GE block. I saw other threads that seemed to imply it was ok to run a GTE pump on a GE block.

for the record you do not want to use a GTE oil pump on a GE motor. you will have major oil pressure issues the GE requires a GE pump because it has less volume due to the lack of oil squirters. everyone who puts a GTE pump on a GE blows a main seal either front or back depends how unlucky you are.

what you need is the 96+ GE oil pump which has the crank sensor mount on it. The crank gear may have a different number of teeth on it but use the one from your TT and the newer GE oilpump, then you get the proper oil pressure for the motor, with the crank sensor mount, and you wont be blowing oil out everywhere.

You want to use the non vvti bottom end, TT headgasket, TT head and everything else. will work out fine. for oil feed you can use an is300 union bolt, and the drain you just have to drill out on the GE oil pan or just reuse your aristo pan since you have a GS you need a mid sump I believe.
    for the coolant lines just hijack those from somewhere maybe from wherever is feeding your throttle body coolant right now or get creative, there are lots of ways to hook up the oil and coolant.
    I understand that there will be less flow needed due to the lack of oil squirters, but I really wanted to get some feed back from those who have already done this.

I know the later VVTi GE pumps have a crank sensor, but I have already purchased a modified GTE pump from powerhouse racing (shimed higher pressure, ported relief ports).

My setup:
    GE block and crank (with aftermarket internals)
    GTE head (off an Aristo)

I am hoping to use the modified TT oil pump. Am I going to have issues with pressures getting to high or blowing seals? Anyone done this already?
    Last edited by mgps13; 01-31-2014 at 09:34 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    SupraForums.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by mgps13 View Post
    I came across a few threads that metioned that some of the NA-t people were blowing seals with the GTE oil pump on their GE block. I saw other threads that seemed to imply it was ok to run a GTE pump on a GE block.

I understand that there will be less flow needed due to the lack of oil squirters, but I really wanted to get some feed back from those who have already done this.

I know the later VVTi GE pumps have a crank sensor, but I have already purchased a modified GTE pump from powerhouse racing (shimed higher pressure, ported relief ports).

My setup:
    GE block and crank (with aftermarket internals)
    GTE head (off an Aristo)

I am planning to use a modified (Powerhouse Racing) TT oil pump. Am I going to have issues with pressures getting to high or blowing seals? Anyone done this already?

I am planning to run the turbo oil feed line from the Banjo bolt on the NA block.

The biggest issue with pushing out a FMS or cam seal or anything else is running high boost w/o proper crankcase ventilation. So long as you recirculate your catch can or valve cover vents back into the pre-turbo intake, you will not have sealing issues - at least, you won't as long as your pistons are healthy. A hurt motor with a lot of blow-by can still pressurize the crankcase in boost and start doing shit like pushing out the dipstick, FMS, etc.

There's also a lot of guys that have deleted the GTE oil squirters over the years for whatever reason, and I can honestly say I've never heard of anyone saying to avoid a GTE oil pump after doing so.
    Jeff
    "I spent a lot of money on booze, chicks and fast cars. The rest I just squandered." -- George Best
    Quote Originally Posted by KING View Post
    Who would have ever thought.....the impact an automobile can make.....

Quote Originally Posted by Wreckless View Post
    The biggest issue with pushing out a FMS or cam seal or anything else is running high boost w/o proper crankcase ventilation. So long as you recirculate your catch can or valve cover vents back into the pre-turbo intake, you will not have sealing issues - at least, you won't as long as your pistons are healthy. A hurt motor with a lot of blow-by can still pressurize the crankcase in boost and start doing shit like pushing out the dipstick, FMS, etc.

There's also a lot of guys that have deleted the GTE oil squirters over the years for whatever reason, and I can honestly say I've never heard of anyone saying to avoid a GTE oil pump after doing so.
    +1
    1994 Red/Black TT
    86K miles
    Roller...6 speed swap coming soon

5. Remove Advertisements
    SupraForums.com
    Advertisements

SupraForums Member
    Used GTE pump w/GTE block in several builds and never had a problem with any of the seals being pushed out... Good luck!

I've never had a problem with seals blowing out for 2+ years at over 600rwhp, reving to 8,000 with my GTE pump and GE block.

I did switch to a SP modified pump about 1.5 years into it, but I never had a seal blow out; just insurance.

SupraForums Member
    On my last setup I was venting both valve covers to atmosphere (10AN Lines, no restriction with no vacuum applied to the crankcase). Seemed to work fine for around 10k miles. Is this sufficient for high boost setups, or is everyone trying to have a vacuum source of some sort to aid in ventilation? I like the idea of the Venturi in the exhaust for a vacuum source, but I feel like it it is too touchy and I don't want to worry about the check valves melting or something else causing a pressure build up (I actually have all of the parts, but I never had the balls to try it). Modified smog pumps seem ideal, but they don't seem to last too long on the street.

Keeping it simple leads me back to running a non restrictive catch can vented to atmosphere if I can get away with it.

I think I am going to go ahead and bolt on the oil pump, every time I walk by its calling me out for being a pussy and not just building the damn thing:
    Last edited by mgps13; 01-31-2014 at 10:01 PM.

I’m in the process of gathering parts for my Na-t build. I’m doing the GTE head swap and have a nonvvti Ge block and non voting head. The big thing i was always told was I’d need to drill a hole in the block for a crank shaft position sensor and also use the gte crank gear as the GE got its TDC reading from the distributor. Is this true?
    To my knowledge you can use the banjo bolt on the GE for a turbo oil feed, have the return line go to the oil sump.
    as for the CPS you do need the GTE crank gear, but you can run a GTE or even GE-VVTI oilpump (as they have the CPS sensor hole)
    So the only real drilling into the block to be done is to fit the banjo and the sump for the turbo return lines?

Yes, you can use a gte or vvti oil pump. I have a gte pump ill sell cheap if interested, replaced it with a modified version.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

List your Car(s)

Where you live

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Your Supra's Vehichle Identification Number (Not visible to the public)

Log-in