Supra Forums banner

Moving to Hawai'i. Which Supra to bring?

4K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  LAR-01 
#1 ·
Aloha guys !!!

Got a job offer on Oahu. Trying to see what the scene like out there,
Been there twice for Pro Bowl and did not see nothing but Hondas and VIP.

So should I bother shipping the MKIV or bring my MKII daily?

And I heard you guys got a yearly inspection and something called recon registration
that my Supras may have to go thorough?

I have no cats on either one and both have wheels and coil overs.
Where should I stay? Working at Schoefield barracks area

LMK

B

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Coupé Sedan

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Sports car Rim

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
recon has changed a lot since i was there. used to be super strict, now it's a bit easier, and if things are still the same its all about who you know. you are gonna have probably an easier time with the mkiv as it looks newer, so modifications won't stand out as much. a few of the hawaii guys can probably state how strict they are on suspension now, but i can't say that cars that needed recon haven't gotten by with just getting a regular safety.

theres tricks to everything, and its easy when you know a few people who can lend a hand. theres a ton of highly modified cars there, so y ou won't stand out like a sore thumb (except that its a supra, and those do tend to stand out).

imho i would do the mkiv. the mkII would be nice, considering there are a lot of people into older and classic imports as well. you would probably have to worry less about the roads driving the mkii also.

#3 ·
Thanks Kracin.

It would be NICE if some of the locals would respond. 50 views and not even a smart ass comment?
Thinking of bringing the MKII if I can complete this ge vvti swap before my due date.
That way I can enjoy it, then sale it when I leave. And bring back a 96-98 GTR!

#4 ·
B

A car with modified suspension you will need to get a Recon permit.

Recon is not really a big deal anymore, just make sure you have the Oem safety equipment, eg: Safety Belts, Lights, Wiper System & Airbags.

Currently the Safety Check doesn't check your exhaust for the cat's.

Enjoy your stay in Hawaii.

#5 ·
B

A car with modified suspension you will need to get a Recon permit.

Recon is not really a big deal anymore, just make sure you have the Oem safety equipment, eg: Safety Belts, Lights, Wiper System & Airbags.

Currently the Safety Check doesn't check your exhaust for the cat's.

Enjoy your stay in Hawaii.
^ what S&W said is true.

also,

as long as your safety check place gives you a sticker, and your suspension isn't easily visible and some gaudy ridiculous color (as most are), then you are most likely never going to have a problem with a cop giving you recon tickets for suspension until you are literally scraping the ground.

i remember a cop was trying to give me a ticket for suspension and i still had the stock supra suspension on, i told him to his face it was bs, i was on stock suspension he can look. he never did and dropped the subject. and then another time a friend with a real gaudy sc300 was stopped and cop trying to give him a ticket for recon due to suspension, he told the cop it was stock suspension, cop was too lazy to even bother looking, but told him that he needed to get it fixed because his wheel well gap looked too short (never measured anyway). then let it go.

all depends on how much you feel like playing the game. recon may be a lot easier to get thees days and worth grabbing. most of the guy who did get recon permits would end up swapping parts right after they got the sticker, then throw all the illegal stuff right back on anyway, hawaii is just in it for a quick buck from people, they don't really care about people safety or belongings. so the only ticket you get is a monetary payment, no points or anything bad.

#6 ·
That's cool then. I can "donate" to the cause. Still thinking of bringing the MKII. Not liking the fact of my girl being in a ship 2 months !!!
Now if it can get there for HIN !!!! I'll be happy !!!!

Now to find a place to stay !!!

Mahalo !!!

#7 ·
I would bring your MKIV just to add a little flair haha. I've already seen a white wingless turbo'd, green turbo'd on Hickam AFB, and a black one in the Honolulu area in the last month I was here. All were MKIV's and all were really nice. But ultimately the choice is yours. The roads here are a little bumpy and patchy, but mainly easily avoidable. Just got to choose the right lane to drive in.

Good luck with your decision!

#9 ·
You probably want to stay somewhere in Wahiawa or Mililani, close to Schofield to avoid traffic. The furthest I would go would be the Pearl City/Aiea area. Traffic near town is a PITA in the mornings.

I would bring the MKIV. I spent a year without my supra before I finally decided to bring her over.

#11 ·
Yes you did Scott. How they work out for you? I see a MUSTANG !!! What happened to the dawg !?!? I didn't bring either Supra. Sporting a Fireo GT !!! LOL
Met some Supra guys at SPOCOM !!!

B

#12 ·
The Supra still has your headlights on it. I'm almost finished with a full rebuild.

That was an 03 Cobra with Saleen kit that I sold a while ago. GTR replaced it.

Fiero? Those are pretty cool I guess haha.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.