Are our MK3's going up in value? - Page 2

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Are our MK3's going up in value?

Quote Originally Posted by SupraCooled View Post
    Pretty sure the computer glitches out and thought a 92 was the same price as a 92.5.....

Anyways isn’t a a 92 a rare year.....what does a 89 in good condition go fore?
    There was no 92.5. There was only 92.

92 was quite rare, yes.

Jeff
    2011 Lexus IS350 Obsidian "F-Sport 6MT" with LSD
    1986 AE86 Corolla GT-S Supercharged

2. Remove Advertisements
    SupraForums.com
    Advertisements

Everyone should be careful of post dates - this is an old thread and was started before the market started wildly trending upward.

Quote Originally Posted by philmarjr View Post
    I have a 1986.5 Toyota Supra in mint condition. Its non turbo, black with only 17k miles on it. Always garaged and covered never driven in winter. I'm the original owner. Just wondering what it might be worth.
    An exceptional car like yours is certainly holding value. Being that it's a non-turbo and an 86.5 makes it somewhat less desirable, but a similarly immaculate low-mile MK3 Supra Turbo from the NE sold at auction recently for around $40k.

I'd expect yours to be listed for something in the $15k-20k range, if I saw it for sale today, especially if it has a manual trans and grey interior. If it has an auto trans and red interior, Perhaps 2-3k less than those numbers.

Obviously, being a non-turbo means that it'd require finding a buyer that valued the low mileage and originality more than high specifications, so I'd expect it to stay on the market for awhile.
    Jeff
    "I spent a lot of money on booze, chicks and fast cars. The rest I just squandered." -- George Best
    Quote Originally Posted by KING View Post
    Who would have ever thought.....the impact an automobile can make.....

Damn I know the thread is old but wow the Turbos are doing 15-20k in FAIR condition. I'm assuming this is probably accounting for sales of the now legal JDM versions.

Still boggles my mind though as the JDM versions went for $12k last time I've seen them available with perfect examples going for $15k, so seeing KBB appraise what I assume are the USDM Supras at such high prices is amusing but also causing skepticism. Its possible with how little sales happen with our cars that this is entirely the fault of a few guys who got duped into paying too much and brought the value up.

Regardless, I'm happy I got my 91 NA for $1,500 as with the rising prices not only do I have a chance at making money but also I got the car for pretty damn cheap.
    1991 Supra 7M NA
    1992 Lexus SC300 2JZ NA

5. Remove Advertisements
    SupraForums.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by shadybeings View Post
    Damn I know the thread is old but wow the Turbos are doing 15-20k in FAIR condition. I'm assuming this is probably accounting for sales of the now legal JDM versions.

Still boggles my mind though as the JDM versions went for $12k last time I've seen them available with perfect examples going for $15k, so seeing KBB appraise what I assume are the USDM Supras at such high prices is amusing but also causing skepticism. Its possible with how little sales happen with our cars that this is entirely the fault of a few guys who got duped into paying too much and brought the value up.

Regardless, I'm happy I got my 91 NA for $1,500 as with the rising prices not only do I have a chance at making money but also I got the car for pretty damn cheap.
    I wouldn't collude JDM and USDM Supra prices. Low mile and top shelf condition cars are worth a considerable premium, but most 100k+ mile MK3's with various cosmetic and mechanical problems are still usually $2-5k cars at best. Nicely built examples making reliable power with A/C and everything intact (like, it's actually a nice car) can command $7-12k depending on the build and the swap, with some exceptional perfect-paint, fully restored with nice wheels and a nice build etc can reach into the high teens.

Most US MK3's are basket cases and so $1500 isn't unusual. JDM Supras are a totally different market and wildly inconsistent in value depending on powertrain - JDM MK3's came with everything from 1G-GE NA 2.0L's to the 7M-GTE Turbo A or JZA70 1JZ-GTE cars, so a Japanese auction grade 4.0 (aka pretty clean/nice) MK3 with 50k km's might be worth $3k or $30k depending on the model.

Cliffs notes is that really nice cars are going up in value. MK3's that are basket cases are still basket cases and they made a shitload more MK3's than MK4's, so the upward push on value for poorer examples doesn't really apply to MK3's.

I have a basket case Supra that I have debated restoring. Needs rust repair in the quarters and under the spare. Its a Red, 91 TT, manual, sunroof car, with grey interior, and 101k miles. Is it worth the effort to restore?

YotaMD.com author
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalamity22 View Post
    I have a basket case Supra that I have debated restoring. Needs rust repair in the quarters and under the spare. Its a Red, 91 TT, manual, sunroof car, with grey interior, and 101k miles. Is it worth the effort to restore?
    Depends on a lot of the specifics. Miles, interior condition, engine bay condition, extent of rust repair needed, etc...

A good, clean 91 turbo manual with shadow grey interior could easily get $15k. It may cost you that to restore it given its current state and your abilities.

Hagerty's listed the 1986–92 Toyota Supra with a score of 92 in the top 25 hottest collector cars.

"The first four passenger vehicles are all Japanese sports cars. The 1986–92 and 1993– 98 editions of the Toyota Supra broke into the Top 25 the last time around and remain strong, tied for 11th with 92 points. They are followed by the 1992–2002 Mazda RX-7 (91) and 1977–81 Toyota Celica (90). The 1984–89 Toyota MR2, eighth last time, slipped slightly but still carries a solid 78-point total."

“Japanese cars have been getting more attention for several reasons,” Newton says. “They’re typically newer than most vehicles we tend to think of as ‘classics,’ but many are still old enough for nostalgia to kick in. A lot of the neat cars that were coming out when Gen Xers and Millennials were growing up were Japanese. Buyers seem to be placing a higher priority on reliability in a collector car, and the Japanese cars certainly have that going for them when well cared for.”

https://www.hagerty.com/articles-vid...of-summer-2018

Just throwing in my 2 cents on this (dead?) thread... Last year around this time, I had a white 157k 89 gte targa r154 and totaled it out, not at fault. I walked out with 7800 and kept the car....after removing the smashed radiator and fan I was able to "drive" it still. Honestly the condition before hand was not pretty. Previously totaled out, so it had a salvage title. Exterior was a 4ish, interior had everything behind the front seats stripped out. So what I got for it was just nuts.

Couple months later, I picked up a 7/10 exterior 9/10 interior 92 ge 5speed, sun roof. Has that special dark red paint that only the 92 have and black leather interior, ugh..so good. Completely bone stoke 103k, with a blown HG and few spun bearings. 2300$....

I do believe a bit of the market inflation is due to KBB only showing the 92 models. Maybe KBB thinks the mk4 started in 92, and is there for giving the entire mk3 line a price boost? Just a thought

Give it a few more years and they will be worth more

I have not noticed a huge increase in price's but a slight one. Picked up a clean 86.5 non turbo non running Supra with 108k miles for $1.5k. I see project turbo Supra's go between $1.5k to $3K. I see cleaner Turbo Supra's all the time with asking prices between $5k to $6.5K but it seems they never sell since the same ones are always for sale all the time with slight price decreases.
    87 Turbo Supra - Daily Summer Cruiser
    87 Non-Turbo Supra - Sold
    04 GS300 - Daily Driver

2019 Updated Build Thread - https://www.supraforums.com/forum/sh...ore&highlight=

I can tell you guys one thing. I sold my 89 years ago, mainly because I needed the funds to finish my mustang, I could jump online and find loads of them local here in NC. Now I regret it but I’m driving 6hrs Saturday to go pick up an 89 turbo targa 5spd car. Car will need some TLC but claims a driving car. They are hard to pick up here now. Really wanted to jump back into the Supra game even if the car sits until I get the time to show it some attention. I either see busted NA cars or clean turbo cars with decently high price tags. I was really surprised with the prices unless that’s just here in NC. Just hope this one checks out Saturday lol
    89T targa MK3 - Slow AF
    03 Mustang GT... Turbo 6.0 lsx
    01 rcsb Silverado ...nitrous 4.8
    89 NA MK3 Supra..Sold

SupraForums Member
    I try to buy any supra I see for $500 and under. last time I found one that low was a year ago (sept 2017). that car had no title, didn't run, was a turbo auto 2-3 / 10 cosmetic condition. so I stripped a lot out of that car: driveline / wiring / electronics/ mirrors and lights.... and then get a message months later "hey I have the title" . I sold the crappy ass shell w/o motor for $500 bc it had a title.

I have alerts (craigslist / FB ) for any that come up under 1k. rare that they do. and if they do appear its always na/auto not running or rusty / smashed. I am smack in the middle of the midwest chicago/milwaukee/madison/rockford area, the poor cars are shot around here and are still >1000 $!

I think the floor value has raised, but am unsure if the 5-8k turbo cars I see online sell in that range.

back in 1999 i bought my first one, 1988 120k miles turbo 5 speed. guy said clutch was bad, I limped it home for $1200. all it needed was a clutch master.

in 2008 I bought my current 86.5. it was a one owner, 140k na/targa/speed that was mint. 1 dent, no rust 100% complete car with rod knock. $600

prices are going up for sure
    Last edited by madisonMK3; 09-27-2018 at 10:45 AM.
    1986.5 Supra NA-T Targa [email protected] BPU / MAFT-Pro sd
    2001 OG Prius
    2007.5 2500HD GMC 6.0 gas
    2011 Prius

gas, grass or ass - nobody rides for free

SupraForums Member
    I came across this website, for some reason they have a lot of Toyotas for sale including MKlll, it might give some ideas about the market value.
    https://www.carsforsale.com/1989-toy...r-sale-C112734

Quote Originally Posted by fox74 View Post
    I came across this website, for some reason they have a lot of Toyotas for sale including MKlll, it might give some ideas about the market value.
    https://www.carsforsale.com/1989-toy...r-sale-C112734
    looked like a couple of clean cars as well

Parts are definitely getting harder to get for these cars as the prices rise too... couldn't even order a rack and pinion locally.

SupraForums Member
    I own a mk4 and would take my mk3 over the 4. Unfortunately most cars are in junk state and I consider them parts cars. The very mint original paint cars with low miles 91/92 cars do bring 20k+ and even 30k . Glad Hagtery is listings them as a collectible. They are one the best cars made and on my FD I love a little more.

SupraForums Member
    picked up one of my 92's off eBay years back for 6k almost 7k once shipped from new jersey. red 92t targa automatic shadow grey leather originally now carpet is black, seats and door cards are red/black still at 53k miles since I got it. dropped a set of coilovers k sports and work miser mono blocks. vin ends in 0000. I was tripped out when I seen that.

I’m amazed that R154’s have doubled. When I got mine 5 years ago it was $1,000. I’d have invested in more...

Yeah. I paid $1200 for a Marlin crawler one, new.

Good ole days before the phuck boys.

SupraForums Member
    scored two r154s from pullapart for $75 each like 5 years back. also hoarded 3 more from part outs.

SupraForums Member
    personal best pullapart run ever! two in two hours before close . by myself.

Are mk3s rising in original form or in general? I'm debating on converting my 7mge to a 7mgte with 400ish hp, but I dont wanna kill what resale value it has

YotaMD.com author
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackS197 View Post
    Are mk3s rising in original form or in general? I'm debating on converting my 7mge to a 7mgte with 400ish hp, but I dont wanna kill what resale value it has
    A few years back I sold my lightly modified 7MGTE converted NA chassis '90 with 340k miles for $8k. You will not diminish the value of an NA with a clean 7MGTE swap. Cleanliness being key. I think the only exception would be if you had a mint car right now with low miles. If it's near museum quality now, then maybe leave it be. Otherwise, start planning a clean and complete swap and enjoy that car the way it is meant to be enjoyed! Nobody wants a stock 7MGE right now and I don't see that changing as these cars age.

Quote Originally Posted by mclovindsupra View Post
    personal best pullapart run ever! two in two hours before close . by myself.
    Nice run. I was able to have the junkyard pull me a r154 from a 89 Supra a few months ago for $250. You definitively wont see r154's that low in the classifieds but I am keeping 2 r154's on hand.

Boost Addicted emericaskater285's Avatar
    Just sold a built r154 last friday for 1900 as a full swap setup. and it took a while to sell. prices on transmissions arent really going as nuts as people think. some guys are just asking for way too much, and once in a while getting it. Ive been sitting on this transmission for a long while. it was a steal at that price. and that included a ssv3 shifter, full manual swap setup with act pressure plate.
    87 black MKIII
    89 white MKIII

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

List your Car(s)

Where you live

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Your Supra's Vehichle Identification Number (Not visible to the public)

Log-in