Mamba Turbo upgrade for CT26

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Mamba Turbo upgrade for CT26

l337 M0d3r4t0r

Mamba Turbo upgrade for CT26

Very interesting,

They have adjustable wastegates, housing and compressor wheel.

I don't heard about it form a local supra guy and though he didn't know what he was talking about until i took a look.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw...+ct26&_sacat=0

They even have JZ turbos..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MAMBA-GTX-Up...c9ad3b&vxp=mtr

Anyone running and have dynos of them just curious!
    Last edited by ZaZZn; 08-03-2015 at 03:04 AM.
    Eric W
    87 TT E85
    91 T 60k miles
    98 SC 300

2. Remove Advertisements
    SupraForums.com
    Advertisements

l337 M0d3r4t0r
    wow one... pretty dead in here

SupraForums Member
    It is pretty dead....hopefully someone out there has tried one of these, would be interesting to get some personal experience with these turbos.

5. Remove Advertisements
    SupraForums.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by ZaZZn View Post
    wow one... pretty dead in here
    Not dead, just no one's used these turbos

I went with Albert's rebuild over on SM and I have a bolt-on Precision unit coming from SP.

l337 M0d3r4t0r
    they actually look pretty good, for the whole turbo looks like a gt3071 with bolt on housings and adjustable wastegate!

I dont have a 7m so don't really care for my self, just though someone should give it a try.

SupraForums Member
    So awhile back I bought a MAMBA cover (ct26 machined to 3071 wheel) and matching upgraded billet compressor wheel. I was expecting to rebuild my turbo with an upgrade to the compressor side.

didn't work out as planned. see image below. the original ct26 center housing will need to be machined to accept the larger compressor wheel. I ended up just rebuilding my OEM turbo as is and will keep pounding on that for a while. bummer. in hindsight I should have known better / looked into it more as its obvious the wheel is larger and will not fit in the back pocket. thought I would post up here to save others the trial and error...

**I should note they no longer sell this as a supra compressor cover, its "ct26"**

mamba.jpg
    Last edited by madisonMK3; 04-05-2019 at 07:26 AM.
    1986.5 Supra NA-T Targa [email protected] BPU / MAFT-Pro sd
    2001 OG Prius
    2007.5 2500HD GMC 6.0 gas
    2011 Prius

gas, grass or ass - nobody rides for free

It's just more Chinese shit...

Wait, I'm sorry, "usamamba" is from Taiwan.
    "Member since: Oct-28-14 in Taiwan"

SupraForums Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sixpack View Post
    It's just more Chinese shit...

Wait, I'm sorry, "usamamba" is from Taiwan.
    "Member since: Oct-28-14 in Taiwan"
    I have hard the owner of Mamba is Japanese and the quality control is pretty good in his cheaper to build Taiwan factory.

The best way to do bolt on turbo is to go with the SP bolt on made by Precision. I would love to see if they will come out with the Gen 2 compressors soon on the 6262 size?

Another option is if you want to stick with the Stock CT26 look is find a CT26E which came on the Turbo A. It has a larger turbine AR and looks stock. Send that turbo to Australia to Munro Turbo. They can do a a ball bearing conversion and if your willing to spend the money they can even machine a larger AR and install the newer Borg Warner EFR turbine/compressor or the new Garret G line. I bet it will cost 4-5g to do this but if you want to have a 600+whp CT-26 turbo this is how you do it.
    Last edited by SupraPilot; 04-06-2019 at 01:48 PM.

Good luck finding a Turbo-A turbo, they started to vanish from the face of the earth 6-8 years ago.
    Toyota used up the rest of the compressor housings with the 'A' cast into them on production turbos.
    They actually dropped the Group-A edition Supra after the R32 Skyline run away with all the candy.
    And besides, it was still a CT turbo, with all it's problems.

As would be the supposedly 'Japanese' Mamba up-grade conversion kits.
    Oh, and I doubt Mamba is anything to do with Japan, other than people trying to pawn them off over there also.
    Just like jessey streeter selling Chinese exhaust systems in Japan (and other people), and Crower's son selling Chinese shit over here.
    Some people are without honor.....

The ball bearing conversion sounds interesting though, except for the cost.
    For that much you can buy a custom made stainless manifold, and a Borg-Warner S300, turbo.

SupraForums Member
    They are hard to find for sure. I have one and was about to buy another in AUZ for $300 but passed since I had one.

There are also the Tomei up-grade compressor housings & wheels that came with their own ECU.
    There is one on YJ right now.
    Last edited by sixpack; 04-07-2019 at 01:33 PM.

SupraForums Member
    There ar5e also the Tomei up-grade compressor housings & wheels that came with their own ECU.
    There is one on YJ right now.
    Oh the Tom's kit sounds like. One sold for 5g last week and then it was listed again for much cheaper?? Very weird. It's a cool kit but way old tech compared to what you can do now.

The problem with the CT26e is this, the wastegate port cracks and the bearing housing is bigger than the normal housing.

I have a CT26e and the turbine housing is junk, 3 cracks in the wastegate port. Glenn (owner of Munro Turbos) currently has the turbine wheel and bearing housing with the idea of machine and porting a standard uncracked CT26 turbine housing to accept it. Unfortunately it is looking unlikely to be possible as the turbine inducer is likely going to be too big for the bearing housing spigot.

Quote Originally Posted by SupraPilot View Post
    It's a cool kit but way old tech compared to what you can do now.
    Yeah, a lot of stuff that pops up in Japan is that way.
    I think product development for the 7M died within 2-3 years after the 2JZ was released, and we have come a long way since then.
    There is still a new in the box set of HKS big bore pistons over there, but not worth the money, as you can get customs over here for less $$.

SupraForums Member
    Yeah, a lot of stuff that pops up in Japan is that way.
    I think product development for the 7M died within 2-3 years after the 2JZ was released, and we have come a long way since then.
    There is still a new in the box set of HKS big bore pistons over there, but not worth the money, as you can get customs over here for less $$.
    oh there is still a trickle of parts that have came to market. like the cx racing turbos / this mamba stuff... drift motion digital cps, etc
    almost dead, on life support ...
    funny you can get ten of those ct26/t61 cx racing ball bearing turbos for the one 5k aussie bb rebuild. or five of the mamba bolt on ct26's (@1100 ea).

but you get what you pay for (ppl that have the cx turbo's actually work report they are very laggy)
    Last edited by madisonMK3; 04-07-2019 at 02:01 PM.

l337 M0d3r4t0r
    This is old... when I first saw the compressors on Ebay lol.

Albert M uses a custom 57 trim wheel he had them machine based on his specs and the 360 thrust washer upgrades are also a good upgrade for the CT...

Calling all Chinese stuff shit is well short-sighted, i'd say 90% of all aftermarket parts for the supra are made there now. There is good Chinese stuff and shit. It's the shit that was around before, and still now. Calling BC stuff crap when people are making 1500WHP depends I guess on what you consider crap. I'd happly accept 500$ rods that can take 800 FT TQ without breaking and really I don't care where it was made. I've had many state side products fall short of the mark. I think the biggest reason why chinese parts are rated crap was because of fitment issues mostly shit stuff that was created which only 90% fits leaving you to do the rest to make it work.

I have a mamba 11 blade billet wheel on a completely stock CT26. Same size inducer and an extend 'tapered tip' exducer. Spools up VERY quickly, probably lacks a bit up top, but works great for me because I prefer quick spool over top end anyway. The wheel is machined well and looks like some thought when into designing it. Definitely a worthwhile stock upgrade for $100.

https://shop.mambatek.com/Compressor...0-010-2612.htm

Over 10 years on SF.... SupraOfDoom's Avatar
    This is old... when I first saw the compressors on Ebay lol.

Albert M uses a custom 57 trim wheel he had them machine based on his specs and the 360 thrust washer upgrades are also a good upgrade for the CT...

Calling all Chinese stuff shit is well short-sighted, i'd say 90% of all aftermarket parts for the supra are made there now. There is good Chinese stuff and shit. It's the shit that was around before, and still now. Calling BC stuff crap when people are making 1500WHP depends I guess on what you consider crap. I'd happly accept 500$ rods that can take 800 FT TQ without breaking and really I don't care where it was made. I've had many state side products fall short of the mark. I think the biggest reason why chinese parts are rated crap was because of fitment issues mostly shit stuff that was created which only 90% fits leaving you to do the rest to make it work.
    In my experience it's just a gamble. I haven't really done many of the Chinese performance parts, but oh man some of the aero is absolute shit. Then again, I've had stuff that worked great at an unbeatable price. Zerg sucks, Terran for life.
    1987 Toyota Supra Turbo 5 Speed Targa
    2007 Infiniti G35x 14.047 @ 98.89 MPH
    2012 G37S 6MT

--------------------------

SupraForums Member
    .....biggest reason why chinese parts are rated crap was because of fitment issues mostly shit stuff that was created which only 90% fits leaving you to do the rest to make it work.
    Alright......lets polish this turd

**warning** post below contains some serious backwoods redneck mechanickin ***

I had a parts turbo and decided what the hell....lets see if we can fit the larger mamba wheel to a spare ct26 center I had laying around. Yes, doing this will destroy the turbine shaft you use because you are chucking up on the threads.

the drill press was my bush lathe, a dremel was used to slowly work the relief circle larger

I went slow, a little at a time, checking to make sure i was square by using the new wheel with sandpaper stuck on back.

When I got close I used two methods to check if I had enough relief (compressor wheel to back housing)
    1. used and old thrust bearing that allowed minimal contact with original compressor
    2. measured with paper stacked up (compared original wheel before i started VS new wheel / ground surface)

after I had the wheel set I had to mess around with the compressor cover....since they were kind enough to have everything wrong with the wastegate location

I disconnected my boost controller to see what PSI it would run on spring only. I should note I tested the wastegate movement with my air compressor to make sure I had full travel / sitting tight when its closed.

spring pressure appears to be 7-8 psi...but the thing creeps up to 14 psi at redline. car is running like a raped ape, has SO much more umph past 5k rpm now (data log / video below). on my testing it was 40 degrees out and somehow I was able to keep off fuel cut.

car ran 13.6 before this turbo. we will see what it can do this summer ...and of course update on how long it lives

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

List your Car(s)

Where you live

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Your Supra's Vehichle Identification Number (Not visible to the public)

Log-in