Supra Forums banner

Reputable Shop Oahu or Big Island?

12K views 16 replies 4 participants last post by  PhoenixToyota 
#1 ·
I'm thinking of buying a 1997 mkiv supra from Cali. However, I live in kailu kona, big island. Do any Hawaii members know any reputable shop on big island who has tuning knowledge? I will need to put in a new turbo system. If none on big island, any shops on Oahu? thanks!

#3 ·
For any mechanical work the only shop I currently trust is Osborne Auto Service. Mark is no stranger to Supras and has years of hands on experience. On top of that he's an ASE Master Tech and a competent welder. He doesn't do any tuning work. For dyno tuning I'd either go with Sean from Munkywurks who uses his Dynapack. Seth from Sonics always took good care of me but I'm not a fan of Rad Motorsports Dynojet pricing, also Seth isn't currently living in Hawaii and only comes to visit every so often.

In your situation I would have Mark @ Osborne install whatever mods you want done and then have Sean come to Mark's shop (they are friends) so he can put a base tune that will get you to his shop and dyno.

#4 · (Edited)
Thank you again Slow! Your my hero today! I'm in process of bringing in a 97 tt from cali with flex fuel. That is if I don't find one here locally. But I live on big island so I guess I have to ship my supra to Oahu and have work done there. The supra owner of the 97 tt said the car could use a new turbo system and coilovers.

#5 ·
No problem, there's no E85 in Hawaii so the flex fuel setup would be going to waste unless you plan on going back to the mainland.
A new turbo system and coilovers could be a days work in your own garage to be honest if you'd like to try it yourself.

I think it would be a good idea considering that if you don't get accustomed to the car, you'll end up having to ship the car here every time something goes wrong.

#11 ·
Slow, I'm also considering Orgasm's supra in vegas and GA red supra in Georgia. Both are listed under for sale section of forum. They are both very nicely built and decked out but only problem is that they are both auto trans. I'm afraid that I might regret down the line getting an auto trans. But then again, I've never driven an auto supra so my scope is limited. I love hearing bov during shifts in a manual trans but I would assume you wont hear that in auto supra. Solo, have u been in an auto supra? I know they say supra auto is the way to go for a built drag car but I will never track nor drag my car. Hm...

#12 · (Edited)
Get a 6spd, you'll regret not getting one especially if you're not dragging the car. A lot of people make fast passes on the stock 6 spd too. Both are beautiful cars but I'd sacrifice a bit of the completeness of those cars (which you're paying extra for) and get a less done-up 6 speed. All the extra stuff you probably won't ever use will just be extra maintenance. Cargasm's car is on E85, which you could revert back to pump but don't expect the same results - his car is absolutely stunning though.

Also, don't buy a car sight-unseen. It's worth the extra money to actually check out the car and drive it before laying down $35k+ for it plus shipping.

#13 · (Edited)
You're right Slow, my heart is yearning for 6spd and I should really check out the car prior to dumping 35k+. The California supra (with flex fuel is asking 42k). Thanks so much for your input Slow, hopefully I can meet you one day in Oahu. My brother lives in Oahu so I go there often. No biggie shipping my supra over for weekend fun. Do you have some pics of your supra slow? What is your current setup on your car? On a side note, I currently own 2014 458 spider and 2012 lp550 spyder. Would be interesting to see how my soon to be Supra compares to my cars, in terms of driving fun factor.

#14 · (Edited)
Wow, quite the amazing pair of cars you have. I need to be doing whatever you're doing for work, haha! Sure thing, maybe one day when you come down. Hopefully my car will be done by then.
Supras are certainly appreciating in prices lately. I don't have any current pics as I'm still in the process of rebuilding it and putting it back together. I'm running a stock block with ATI Crank, HKS cams, Titan gears, Gates Racing timing belt, Titan oil pump, Quicksilver exhaust manifold, modified intake manifold w/Q45 throttle, 1000cc injectors, Borg Warner S360, two Tial MVR wastegates, Greddy 3 Row, and Greddy Oil Cooler.

The valve covers and turbo comp cover I'm going to re-powdercoat black or chrome.

#15 ·
Wow. Looks like you got your hands full. I'm in envy of you because you seemed to be quite mechanically inclined. I wish I had the knowledge and skills to work on my own cars. The only "work" that I'm capable of performing on my cars would be pumping up tires with my little Costco air inflator, when tire pressure indicator lights up. That is my pathetic "tuning" I do in my garage lol.

#16 ·
David, I use Chase at C.A.R.S.S. In Hilo. He's excellent and trust worthy for all mechanical work. He is an accomplished tuner as well. That said while Chase does anything I can't, I have Lawrence (93 twintrbo on this forum) from LS Fab in NorCal do my tuning remotely. Between the two of them all my needs are covered.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.