Bolt on 4-Piston front MB brakes & 2-Piston rear Evo brakes - Page 3

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Bolt on 4-Piston front MB brakes & 2-Piston rear Evo brakes

My set up with a write up to follow -

2001 S600 Mercedes Benz (345mm Brembo) Front Calipers / get the bolts if you can as the thread pitch is different
    2004 ML500 345mm x 30mm Rotors - these have the closes offset to our i could find, only 2-3 mm off
    2x 2mm washers on each Caliper Bolt
    2 M10x1.0 Banjo Bolts at 35mm lenght for the re-use of the stock banjo lines.

my Wheels are 18x8 with a +35 offset so I needed to run 5mm wheel spacer, +30 or greater would not need wheel spacers.

Here it is -
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8TW08qtQes
    1987 Supra Turbo - Megasquirt 3 w/MS3X & Holset 60/60 Turbo - Mega JOY!

2. Remove Advertisements
    SupraForums.com
    Advertisements

SupraForums Member
    I have been very interested in doing brake upgrades for some time now (specifically on the rear), but one of the things that keeps stopping me is loosing an ebrake. With the Evo 8/ Sti upgrade do you maintain full functionality of the ebrake?

How come I am not finding any Evo 8 calipers on ebay for under $250... wtf!?

Unlimited Time Attack A70 Twin2Turbo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kmichaelokelly View Post
    I have been very interested in doing brake upgrades for some time now (specifically on the rear), but one of the things that keeps stopping me is loosing an ebrake. With the Evo 8/ Sti upgrade do you maintain full functionality of the ebrake?

How come I am not finding any Evo 8 calipers on ebay for under $250... wtf!?
    yes you keep the functioning e brake. theres a parking brake drum inside the rear hats

And who said that Evo calipers were gonna be cheap? 250 bucks is way cheaper than 1500 for a rear setup.
    -Nick

1JZ|Link|Precision|Brembo|DBA|Tilton|Carrillo|Diamond|InjectorDynamic|TurboSmart|Technico|ATI|BC|HKS|And Everything Else|
    My Build Thread <-> Www.projecthighrpm.com

5. Remove Advertisements
    SupraForums.com
    Advertisements

SupraForums Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Twin2Turbo View Post
    yes you keep the functioning e brake. theres a parking brake drum inside the rear hats

And who said that Evo calipers were gonna be cheap? 250 bucks is way cheaper than 1500 for a rear setup.
    I have replaced my rear rotors and the ebrake shoes before so my assumption was that it should work. I just wanted to make sure rather than assuming that it did't require any further modification and still engaged/disengaged smoothly. I think we have all heard "bolt on" before only to find out that some people can use that term fairly lightly, so sometimes I wince a little upon reading it.

Oh... you for sure are right about that! Seems most people scoring them way cheaper ($100-$140) so I figured I would humble myself and ask someone to show me their ways! haha

I have replaced my rear rotors and the ebrake shoes before so my assumption was that it should work. I just wanted to make sure rather than assuming that it did't require any further modification and still engaged/disengaged smoothly. I think we have all heard "bolt on" before only to find out that some people can use that term fairly lightly, so sometimes I wince a little upon reading it.

Oh... you for sure are right about that! Seems most people scoring them way cheaper ($100-$140) so I figured I would humble myself and ask someone to show me their ways! haha
    definitely haha the word "bolt on" gets thrown around very loosely

Quote Originally Posted by TerrenceLP View Post
    My set up with a write up to follow -
    2001 S600 Mercedes Benz (345mm Brembo) Front Calipers / get the bolts if you can as the thread pitch is different
    2004 ML500 345mm x 30mm Rotors - these have the closes offset to our i could find, only 2-3 mm off
    You have got to be kidding me. I just finish my setup with 02 S500 calipers and R350 330mm rotors.

I could have gotten your setup for around the same cost and had a larger rotor with what appears to be better pad coverage.
    * Built 7mgte * JE Pistons * Crower Rods * Crazy Head Porting * 7M Turbo Cam Regrinds * ARP Head Studs * HKS Stopper HG * AEM Cam Gears * Turbonetics Hi-Fi 62-1 Bolt-on Turbo * 5" Blitz SUS Filter * 1JZ FFIM w/ all provisions * Greddy 24R Intercooler * Greddy 720cc low impedence Injectors * Denso 285lph pump w/ 12v mod * Aeromotive AFPR * Tial Q Bov * Trust Power Extreme II Exhaust * BIC Ceramic DDP * Fluidyne Radiator * Flex-a Lite Fans * RPS Max Dual Diaphram PP with Aisin Full Face Disk * AEM v1 Rev.B Mod.C EMS * DH61 Ignitor / Sequential Ignition mod *

That would be correct!

If it helps you I kind of Stumbled on this by buying the wrong calipers. With that fire lit I started doing massive research until I found what would make them work.

Here is the kicker - s600 - 345mm are still cheap to find now that everyone and their mom knows about the s500 calipers.

Install Video Update as soon as my new banjo bolts get here.

In your video, it almost looks like the pad would hang off the rotor's edge. On my setup, the pad sits flush with the rotors edge, but there's a good 1/4" of missed coverage by the hats (look at the wear ring in my pic above). I will say, out of curiosity, I checked if both styles of calipers use the same pads and they do not. And I don't see a Brembo pad option for the S600. So I do like the pad options better on the s500 calipers.
    Last edited by MarkIII4Me; 01-14-2017 at 06:19 AM.

Last edited by TerrenceLP; 01-28-2017 at 11:44 AM.

SupraForums Member
    Can anyone help out with how they were able to adapt the Evo 8 calipers to the stock line, or in my case Goodridge SS?

Finally up and running! foreverpsycotic's Avatar
    Will the S600/ML500 setup fit under a MKIV TT wheel?
    1989 Super White Hardtop - Old Hotness (HX35w, 1JZ/R154)
    1991 Super Red Targa - New never-ending project (sxe 63/68, 1JZ/R154, ecumaster)

Can anyone help out with how they were able to adapt the Evo 8 calipers to the stock line, or in my case Goodridge SS?
    They threaded right in, its the same thread pitch.

SupraForums Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SideWinderGX View Post
    They threaded right in, its the same thread pitch.
    Quote Originally Posted by survyor2 View Post
    Brake fittings: threads do not match. my understanding is that one fitting is flared and the other is inverted flared. They appear to fit at first but I had a leak. I used the stock evo banjo bolts and added a banjo fitting to my brake lines.
    Can anyone else speak to this, and what they did on their install.

I did the same setup but used 350Z "Brembo" package rotors. Had to go with a 18x10.5 +15 up front and they cleared by less than a .25"
    SHEEPDOG VETERAN

89 1JZGTE VVT-i PTE 6262 DBB E85 • 585HP on Stock Block

Hm, would have thought that the 350Z track rotors would have fit 17" wheels just fine.
    Are those calipers overly tall ?
    I run 13.06" Wilwood rotors (slightly larger than the 350Z track rotors) with the R32 GTS calipers, and they fit my BBS LM 17" wheels just fine.

By the way, the 350Z track rotors weigh about 6 lbs more than the Wilwoods.

Yes they may fit 17" I was referring more to the width and low offset for a front wheel. Could also be due to spoke design.

SupraForums Member
    I found a inverted flare adapter fitting on Summit Racing! This seems to me that it should solve the issue of both sides having concave fittings and convert one side to convex so the stock brake lines match up.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/brg-925122/overview/

survyor2 was this the only issue with the stock lines?

SupraForums Member
    Another seller that sells essentially the same thing but with O-rings.

http://www.tallonhydraulics.com/stor...roducts_id=267

Hi all,

To reuse my SSlines I used these - Goodridge Banjo Bolt BREMBO 10MM X 1.0 Stainless Steel
    Will be in a UP position lil funky but is working like a charm and no leaks-

SupraForums Member
    Some lines don't have a banjo style fitting to just update the banjo bolt, mine are just a straight male that going to the caliper.

Lock to lock and full extension and compression on stock shocks and springs. So Far so good! Like I said it's a little funky but IM also running the 345mm rotors.

SupraForums Member
    Can someone measure the thickness of the hub centric ring required for this install. I found an eBay seller who will custom make these. This will save having to trim the hub ring. Was going to ask for a specific thickness. Was thinking 29mm or so...? The rotor I’m looking at is the 330mm R350.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Supra Thread: Red 1991 Supra w/ 1JZGTE

Quote Originally Posted by YYCSupra View Post
    Can someone measure the thickness of the hub centric ring required for this install. I found an eBay seller who will custom make these. This will save having to trim the hub ring. Was going to ask for a specific thickness. Was thinking 29mm or so...? The rotor I’m looking at is the 330mm R350.

do the math.... Mercedes uses 66.6mm hub bore and Toyota uses 60.10mm

6.5mm

SupraForums Member

Bolt on 4-Piston front MB brakes &amp; 2-Piston rear Evo brakes

Quote Originally Posted by Twin2Turbo View Post
    do the math.... Mercedes uses 66.6mm hub bore and Toyota uses 60.10mm

6.5mm
    I’m not sure I explained myself very well. I guess what I’m looking for is the thickness of the rotor hat. The “length” of the hub ring needs to be less than the thickness of the rotor hat so that it doesn’t stick out (which is why I keep hearing of people having to trim the length of their hub rings). I’ve never used hub rings before so this is my assumption???

Last edited by YYCSupra; 01-25-2018 at 04:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by YYCSupra View Post
    I’m not sure I explained myself very well. I guess what I’m looking for is the thickness of the rotor hat. The “length” of the hub ring needs to be less than the thickness of the rotor hat so that it doesn’t stick out (which is why I keep hearing of people having to trim the length of their hub rings). I’ve never used hub rings before so this is my assumption???

yea you definitely did not explain yourself very well

Both manufacturers have a hat thickness of around 7mm

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

List your Car(s)

Where you live

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Your Supra's Vehichle Identification Number (Not visible to the public)

Log-in