Street tires! What do roll on with everyday?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Street tires! What do roll on with everyday?

Street tires! What do roll on with everyday?

Just like title says what tires do you use for every day driving? Give some impressions as well like for example spirited driving or in wet/rainy conditions, on track experience even long cruises! I know a lot of people have big HP numbers and LOVE R888s and NT05s but let's hear about your experiences.

My Supra is still NA and I drive it everyday rain or shine and am running with Bridgestone RE760 Sports and they are good for everyday street use. No issues in the rain, still need to drive carefully, but they are definitely lacking in grip at the track. Going to get a tire with a lower tread rating next time.
    '93 JDM NA Supra

2. Remove Advertisements
    SupraForums.com
    Advertisements

SupraForums Member supra400hptt's Avatar
    KDW front, 888 in the rear. No complaints, price was reasonable compared to some Michelins and Pirellis for the sizes I needed.
    1994, 6 spd, PHR Torque Kit 6466, 4-Row, ProEFI, HKS 264 cams

SupraForums Member
    BFG sport comp 2 front 245/45r17 rear 275/45/r17. I've had them for a long time they hold the power I put down ~450 and they last for a while. I think I got 25 k out of my fronts and the rears last half as long. Great grip wet or dry never had a problem. In highschool I had to drive the supra to school and it was a pain to drive in the snow with those tires.

5. Remove Advertisements
    SupraForums.com
    Advertisements

325/30/19 R888's rear and 285 R888 fronts
    Fully Built Block (Carrillo , JE , ACL , ARP+625, MVP GIRDLE) , Titan stage 3 Race Head , Titan 10.2mm lift 280 Cams , ID 1700cc , FullRace Twin Scroll Manifold , Garrett GTX4508R , OS Gieken R3C Triple Plate , ETS 5" Intercooler , 3 - 450 Walbro fuel pumps , Haltech Elite 2500 , Hypertune Intake , Brembo GT 380mm 6 Piston Monoblock , Aqua Myst HFS-6 , C-16 .... More than enough JAM

Blog Entries
    R888s all the way around. Are they louder and ride rougher than normal street tires? Yes. Do they hold 900whp and handle and brake exceptionally well. Yes.

Steve K.

1993.5 Anthracite 6 SPD//PRO EFI//PTE6766//3-Row//E-85Fuel Sys//PHR I/M//GSC//IP 10/1 motor//Manley//RPS C/C//CCW C14//Brembo BBK//TRD LSD//930WHP/38PSI
    2009 BMW 535i Sport FBO
    2011 Land Cruiser

Very Senior Member Silver Supra's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Vowels View Post
    Just like title says what tires do you use for every day driving? Give some impressions as well like for example spirited driving or in wet/rainy conditions, on track experience even long cruises! I know a lot of people have big HP numbers and LOVE R888s and NT05s but let's hear about your experiences.

My Supra is still NA and I drive it everyday rain or shine and am running with Bridgestone RE760 Sports and they are good for everyday street use. No issues in the rain, still need to drive carefully, but they are definitely lacking in grip at the track. Going to get a tire with a lower tread rating next time.
    Based on my experience, you need two sets of wheels and tires if you plan to drive in the rain and if you plan to drive on a track (are you talking drag or road course?). You will not find one that works well for both. R888's or any R-Compound tire are NOT going to work in the rain, no matter how much you want them to. You *can* drive on the track with street tires but you will not have great traction and they may get too hot and chunk. I just completed my research on street tires for my new wheels and found a great combination of performance and price - Sumitomo HTR Z III XL, which I bought. Go to tirerack.com and check out their ratings and user reviews for any tire you are interested in.
    '94 T Auto Silver Bullet | 471 rwhp at 15.5 psi |

i recorded mark7m001.mp3 Mark 2JZ's Avatar
    Hankook V12's for daily, RS3's for fun. No complaints with either for their intended use.

though my V12's are finally toasted so R888's will replace them....
    1994 Supra PT71GTQ

SupraForums Member
    Hankook V12's in the rear
    Continental Extreme Contact on the fronts.

Seem fine for BPU

Quote Originally Posted by Mark 2JZ View Post
    Hankook V12's for daily, RS3's for fun. No complaints with either for their intended use.

though my V12's are finally toasted so R888's will replace them....
    Iv'e been saying it for years the toyos R888's grips better on the street than most brands mentioned out there in my personal experience .

R888s front and rear.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by cp44 View Post
    R888s front and rear.
    ^^^^ Same here R888s all around.

Very Senior Member Silver Supra's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff91ta View Post
    Hankook V12's in the rear
    Continental Extreme Contact on the fronts.

Seem fine for BPU
    I have had those Continentals all around on my street wheels for the past few years and they are great in rain and dry. I drove them in the rain on the road course, and even once in the dry. Not optimum there, but they survived!

How are people managing the R888's on a damp road or caught in a light rain? I've heard some horror stories about them at only moderate speeds.. 360 spins on the ~50mph highway under barely any acceleration for example. Someone here has done that (very lucky to escape with zero damage avoiding other cars and median walls) if they'd like to speak up about it.
    - Jeff
    1994 Supra 6-speed Twin Turbo
    2001 Lexus IS300

Blog Entries
    If it rains then you drive very carefully. I usually take back roads and stay off the highways. You have to be vigilant and check the weather though and be prepared.

Steve

315/35/17 Mickey Thompson et street radials in rear
    265/35/18 nitto nt555 on the front. Wheels are ccw classics

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1993 anthracite supra
    2014 Mitsubishi evo
    1984 Porsche 944

East County, CA <---> Morelia, Michoacan, Mexico
    Toyos or Advans normally (Pirellis when I find new ones on craigslist for good prices), but I have actually been putting those $120 (for 19 and 20"!, $95 for 18") Chinese knock off tires on literally EVERYTHING else I drive because I seriously seem to get a flat tire or two every damn week. I am tired of buying and patching $300 tires, so I buy these crap ones instead and just replace them anytime there is even remotely an issue with them......and you know what? It has been pretty awesome. They are nice and sticky, I am never afraid to be hard on them and wear them out because they are so cheap and easily replaced (local tire shop, takes ten min to swap one after driving up with no appointment, costs only $10 unless I buy all four). They seem to perform decently, and although they do wear down a little quickly, it still takes me longer to burn the tread off them than it does for me to flatten a damn Pirelli. I know its not the tire brand causing the flats, but I shit you not if you want to see an expensive Pirelli turn to shit in a week, just have me put it on one of my dailys. I don't remember the brand off the top of my head, but the drag radials on the MR2 are as sticky as Nitto DR's to me, and I recently bought a 'Triangle' brand Z-rated radial for an 18" spare that doesn't seem half bad at all.
    Last edited by TNH; 01-24-2016 at 09:22 AM.
    '99 Lexus GS 300 -vvti Aristo swapped daily driver
    '71 GMC Jimmy - off roader
    '69 Pontiac Firebird, blown 540ci BBC
    '99 Mazda miata, FF supercharged - track machine
    '94 Mazda miata - undergoing LS2 swap
    '83 Dodge Ram crew cab shortbed 12v cummins, 77k miles
    '91 MR2, 1MZ-FE swapped - undergoing widebody install
    '96 HKS twin Supra - alpine, hardtop, 6-speed

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Supra View Post
    Based on my experience, you need two sets of wheels and tires if you plan to drive in the rain and if you plan to drive on a track (are you talking drag or road course?). You will not find one that works well for both. R888's or any R-Compound tire are NOT going to work in the rain, no matter how much you want them to. You *can* drive on the track with street tires but you will not have great traction and they may get too hot and chunk. I just completed my research on street tires for my new wheels and found a great combination of performance and price - Sumitomo HTR Z III XL, which I bought. Go to tirerack.com and check out their ratings and user reviews for any tire you are interested in.
    I go to road course when I track my car. Yea unfortunately there is always a trade off but I can't afford a set of track wheels at the moment. For my next set I wouldn't mind going with something a bit more grippier. Not a DOT legal R-compound but something around 200-300 rating range.

SupraForums Member
    Nitto NT555 all the way around. 255/17/40 front 275/17/40 rears. Really good in the summer. Somewhat good in colder weather, but still a great tire all around.

-Matt
    98 TT Stock Black Supra.
    ( @ @)
    ooO(_)-----Ooo---
    Your Hood?......Yeah I’m Peekin over it….and I see....a 2JZ?!

SupraForums Member FirstStateCamber's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 1A1 View Post
    R888s all the way around. Are they louder and ride rougher than normal street tires? Yes. Do they hold 900whp and handle and brake exceptionally well. Yes.

Steve K.
    Same as Steve ^

The R888's fling tiny rocks and sand at low speed that I can hear hitting against the plastic liners, but the grip under boost it AWESOME!

I've been caught in the rain (misty) once and just stayed out of boost until the roads dried. They also recommend them above 45F I think.

93' PTE6766, Cast Mani, QSVHD, 1260cc, Stock Cams, Pro-EFI, CM850 twin-disk, 4" turbo back, HKS Carbon Ti...
    09' 997.1TT 6spd, GT2 VTG's, UMW tuned
    15' Audi S5, APR Tuned, Intake/Exhaust

Follow me on IG: @FirstStateMKIV
    Decorative SUPRA Metal logos - https://www.supraforums.com/forum/sh...gns&highlight=
    MKIV Fire Extinguisher Brackets -https://www.supraforums.com/forum/sh...dmin-Approved)

I daily drive my car in the PNW, so rain storms are frequent, water over the roadway and highways where hydroplaning most def. occurs. Not exactly a supra, but..
    I have a 93' GS300 with vvt-i swap and R154 trans, coilovers that handles pretty well but power is only at 280-300. 4.10 gearing with the 5 speed gives me some pretty short gears but its a fun car.

Had BFG's all around but they are a bit slippery in the rain. I had to be a bit careful cornering in the wet with them.

Switched to 285/45ZR-18 Pirelli P Zero's on the rear with a 10" rim. These tires are pretty nice and corner great in the summer, although I'm not sure how much power they could handle, they feel pretty soft.
    In the fronts I have 245/40R-18 Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Seasons, which are exceptional for summer and rainy spirited driving. They are siped tires which provide excellent traction, but most likely reduced life. Never had the fronts lose grip and push except in the snow.

Don't hang me for bringing up a old thread. I found this thread while searching and I've been googling opinions on ET streets vs Nitto's for daily driving. I have a new set of 18" ccw's I'm putting on my MKIII. Once it's tuned on higher boost (590) right now, It will be around 650-700 rwhp with a 6466 dbb and e85. I plan on getting a 285/40/18 and feel like I'm going to get a new set of MT ET streets since that's what I've been running. Since this thread is three years old, is there a tire out there now that is sticky and a little better in case I get caught out in a storm? I read so much about the r888's. Is that what you guys recommend for my hp level? Thanks., Jay

Tire rack suggested Continental's but I've never owned a set and haven't read about too many high horse power'd cars running them.
    1.5jz 640 RWHP, 606RWTQ

SupraForums Member FirstStateCamber's Avatar
    Do yourself a favor and run the R888r's out back at a minimum!!! The guys at the rack don't know shit when it comes to high HP cars. I run R888r's on the rear and a Toyo T1R up front, I've even run MT ET Streets in a 17" out back with great success, rain and cold temps will be your two enemies in the end...

NiSmO [email protected] supergoji's Avatar
    Street tires
    Pilot super Sport ( 265/295) 30k fronts, about 15k rears.
    Pilot Sport 4S ( havent used them yet, OEM equipment on top spec cars now)
    Pilot sport Cup/2 ( GT3, ZR1, nuff said)

Max performance
    Falken RT615k
    R888
    read grassroots motorsports for the tire reviews.
    Quote Originally Posted by OOBE View Post
    the shop power fucked you at 140 mph too :D
    Quote Originally Posted by x X CLoud X x View Post
    why the Hell is there a FUCKN SAILOR MOON ON A SUPRA!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by SupraLB View Post
    Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?
    Quote Originally Posted by wreckless View Post
    hell, he has a better chance of getting gov't funding to build the playboy mansion into an orbital launch vehicle to set a new record of nonstop consecutive orbital blowjobs from playboy playmates.
    94 Alpine Silver Supra TT 6spd ( for sale) https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/l-Used...ting=234504432
    91 Cherry Red Pearl Z32 TT 6spd

M/T ET Streets on the rear to hold the power. It's the only thing that will. It's all I run. I got caught in a heavy rain where the traffic was down to 50 MPH. They did fine, though I was nervous.

Let's face it, these are nice weather cars. If you find yourself getting stuck in the rain more than once a year, you need a better weather app.

Al
    94TT Auto, 6466
    [email protected] 27 psi 4/16/16
    Previous setup: HKS Twin 2835's
    [email protected] 32 psi, 10/29/06

Previous car: 90 Talon AWD, 5 spd, FP Red (60-1)
    [email protected] built motor, 28 psi, Sept 2000

SupraForums Member
    Define every day. Do people drive their Supra everyday? Am I doing it wrong??

Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 front and rear. 315/30/18 rear 285/30/18 front.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

List your Car(s)

Where you live

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Your Supra's Vehichle Identification Number (Not visible to the public)

Log-in