Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
I turn my own wrenches!
5,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What’s up SF peeps?

It has been sometime since I have had a Supra in my garage. I left behind my (always) true love the Supra for the GTR world for 3 long years. I spent some time enjoying my 2010 R35 GTR FBO and building my ‘90 Skyline GTR

I recently sold both of my GTR’s to get back to my roots aka Supra’s. I searched for clean chassis no matter if they were NA or TT as my plans are to do a complete build regardless of what the vehicle started life as. I spotted a few I really liked and almost pulled the trigger on two Na’s.

Luckily before I did an Importer I have been watching just got a new arrival of a 1994 Supra TT Hardtop automatic with 39k original miles no modifications with a fair asking price. It even has an active front lip, which will be coming off but thought it was pretty neat.

After seeing the Supra in person I knew it was the one for my next adventure, not only because it’s the cleanest Supra I now personally own but it was a new color I have yet owned.

My wife and I drove 4 hours to make the purchase official and bring home our new toy.

Plans for the Supra are simple and true to what I find to be a “Dream” build. I really struggled with how to start the phase 1 of the build. My budget for phase 1 was approximately $15k. These parts have already been purchased and are en route as I type this thread.

PHASE 1 - in progress now. I consider phase 1 to be setting the foundation of a solid Supra build.

Transmission:

Grannas Racing GR700 6 spd full swap
• GR700 T56 Magnum F
• McLeod Single disk Stage 4
• 2JZ Flywheel w/ ARP bolts
• Tilton 6000 series hydraulic throw out bearing
• Tilton clutch master cylinder
• Billet alignment tool
• All required clutch lines
• Pilot bearing
• GR 6 spd OEM knob
• GR auto to 6 spd tunnel conversion
• Oem clutch and brake pedal assembly
• Oem 6 spd interior panel w/ boot
• Oem 6 spd tensioner assembly

Performance:
• Greddy 3 Row FMIC kit
• HKS TI exhaust
• HKS mid pipe
• Down pipe
• Mishimoto radiator
• Mishimoto radiator hoses
• Performed all fluid change - oil, differential, coolant etc.
• Drop in air filter
• Stop Tech Brake rotors and pads all around.
• Stop Tech brake lines

Cosmetic:
• 1998 Oem headlights brand new w/ harness
• 1998 Oem taillights brand new w/ harness
• 1998 Oem turn signals brand new w/ harness
• Interior panels all redone
• Boost gauge matching green led
• Chrome rings on interior panels
• Full led exterior/interior bulb replacement
• Carbon Fiber MVP front lip
• TRD Carbon Fiber center spoiler
• TRD tower brace bar
• Full exterior and interior LED bulbs
• Heat shield window tint
• Carbon fiber license plate backing
• Carbon fiber exhaust shield
• All brand new exterior Oem badges
• Replaced hatch cushions
• ESR’s 18x8.5 Fronts 18x9.5 Rears
• fronts Toyo Proxes R888R 245/40/18
• rears Toyo Proxes R888R 275/35/18

Phase 2 - late 2020, early 2021.

• Single turbo setup (1,000 hp capable but room to grow once motor is built)
• 1,000 Hp + Fuel setup
• ECU consideration (ProEFI, Motec, Infinity)

Phase 3 - late 2021

• Motor build to safely support over 1,500 hp and abuse
• Flight to Mars? :cool:

Phase 2 will consist of Single turbo setup (med to large frame), 1k hp+ Fuel setup, Stand alone. Which I plan this winter/early next year.

I really struggled on my Phase 1, I thought 100% I was going to build my auto transmission however I really enjoy the driving experience of a manual and feel I made the right decision.

After getting it home I have already began detailing the exterior and engine bay with removing items on fender/firewall to get behind EVERYTHING to include clay barring. I’m very impressed with the condition of this Supra. I’m use to having an engine bay that needs some kind of paint touch up and exterior. But this Supra is straight and spotless even underneath!! No rust!

This weekend I plan to attack the interior by completely removing all interior panels, carpet etc. I’ll be steaming and shampooing carpets and seat belts and a full interior panel wipe down. (photographs to follow)

meanwhile enjoy a few photographs of the engine bay. I have not had a chance to get any good exterior shoots so I’ll include a crappy garage photograph for now.

Horsepower goals? Well my short term is 7-800hp as I believe that will be an extremely fun street car. However I would love to officially make 1000hp one day.

1/4 mile goals? Well duh, to live up to my screen name but like everyone else. Just get faster and mainly enjoy the Supra ownership.

FIRST MOD, lol drop in filter.

·
97 HARD TOP
989 Posts
Congrats on the purchase. Looks like a very clean car to start on. Looking forward to the updates

·
Boost Junkie
12,603 Posts
Sweet. Glad you are back. Looks like it's going to rock!

Steve

·
Super Moderator
10,488 Posts
Welcome back! Missed you while you were gone.

The car is a real gem. I can't wait to see you implement your phases. I like where this is going 👍👍.

Ken.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Welcome back to the supra world. Gtrs (r32) are cool but unreliable and always cause headaches.. i used to have an r32 gtr aswell sold it off for a supra.

·
I turn my own wrenches!
5,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Welcome back! Missed you while you were gone.

The car is a real gem. I can't wait to see you implement your phases. I like where this is going 👍👍.

Ken.
Ken, Thanks! I'm excited to finally have a bone stock, mint chassis to start with to build.

Welcome back to the supra world. Gtrs (r32) are cool but unreliable and always cause headaches.. i used to have an r32 gtr aswell sold it off for a supra.
Thanks! Might be the case. All I can say is for 3 years of ownership of my GTR I built from stock to 7175, Infinity, FIC 1000, Aem accessories all over I never had any mechanical issues. Maybe I got lucky with purchasing a well kept GTR from Japan? :sneaky: This was self tuned on 93 oct water/methanol @ 24 psi it pulled hard and healthy, the new owner drove it 2,200 miles home after purchase without mechanical issues under the hood.

·
Kappa Check 1 2
735 Posts
Welcome back! Always refreshing to see the passion reignited for fellow Supra folk. Nice round of mods there!

Also, very wise to work in phases, my biggest regret is doing all at once!

-Rich

·
I turn my own wrenches!
5,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Welcome back! Always refreshing to see the passion reignited for fellow Supra folk. Nice round of mods there!

Also, very wise to work in phases, my biggest regret is doing all at once!

-Rich
Rich,

Thanks! I always knew I would purchase another Supra, I wanted to branch out a little to see what other rare platforms offer. I’m a sucker for anything unique or rare.

I strongly feel this Supra will remain in my ownership for the rest of my life. (I’m sure I’ll add more to the collection.)

I agree about doing builds in phases not only to help maintain a happy Wife, but makes it to me financially smarter. Could I right now pay for a complete build? Yes without a doubt I could and I have before in the past.

I always wanted to own a TT 6 spd Supra on factory twins to just truly become one with the platform and enjoy it how Toyota designed it. (Yes, there will be a few aftermarket goodies installed but to me it’s still the same.)

Also this gives me time to truly design how I want phase 2 to go.

P.S.

My GR700, HKS TI exhaust, Diode Dynamics LED’s arrive tomorrow!:alien:

·
Mamba Still On Top
3,462 Posts
Congratulations on the purchase. The mod package sounds good, and the car looks clean.

Looking forward to your updates.

·
I turn my own wrenches!
5,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Very clean and amazing progress!
I can't wait to see every phase completed, best of luck!
Thank you!

Made awesome progress tonight! New headlights, taillights, signals installed and all interior and tag lights with new LED bulbs.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Awesome job! Literally the best cosmetic mods in my opinion as well, haha.

So, how do you like driving RHD?

·
I turn my own wrenches!
5,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Awesome job! Literally the best cosmetic mods in my opinion as well, haha.

So, how do you like driving RHD?
I’m used to it as my ‘90 GTR was RHD so I have over 3 years of driving RHD. I enjoy it and it makes rare vehicle even more rare/unique.

Look what else arrived today! This will go on tomorrow as well as the TRD spoiler.

Also full interior removal tomorrow for deep cleaning.

PS for those curious the front bumper license plate holes and dimples will be repaired and repainted with the TRD spoiler next week, still awaiting the paint to arrive.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts