Supra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking around on toyota.com and found out that the 05 tacomas all come with rear 10inch drums in the rear? Does anyone know why toyota didn't go with disks? My guess is it may have something to do with the real electronic locking diff?

·
Fasthawk
145 Posts
cuz the rear is really light on those trucks and you dont really need the extra braking power of discs. Also cuts costs.

Not sure why it would have anything to do with the rear differential?

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well thank you for your input. yeah the locking diff thing was just something I thought of. Not really sure if that was why they went to a drum setup. Now my question is out of all the possible things they could have done to cut costs, why would they go to the brakes? Why not something else such as...well I don't know but you get what I'm saying?

·
I have auto ADD.
4,568 Posts
I didn't know the new Tacomas came with rear drums. I think that was a mistake, they should have gone with discs. Drums can get clogged up with mud when adventuring offroad.

·
Never narc'd on nobody
3,246 Posts
I'm sure it's mostly for cost savings.

Even with a total restyle and many new features/upgrages, the 05 Tacoma's stayed at basically the exact same price as the 04's. For this to be possible, obviously some cost savings are needed (not that the 04's came with rear discs either mind you).

If someone wanted an upgrade, I would think that a rear disc set from an 03+ 4Runner may fit, as the 2 are built on the same platform.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts