Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys i'm thinking on getting an 06 sti but don't know much about them so your imput would be apreciated. Are they reliable? can you drive them hard without problems?i've heard they have engine problems is that true? i also heard on the other hand they are reliable like honda os toyota is that true? anu sti owners with advise out there? thanks

· Registered
467 Posts
99% of sti owners regret buying one.
Why do you think most of them trade in there sti's and get an evo
;)

True fact.
lol

Friend owns a Mitsubishi dealership, 99% sti's are traded in to get into an evo.

· NOSUP4U
3,311 Posts
I work for a Subaru performance shop, and my answers to your questions are yes yes no yes yes.... great car for the money, and while the evo may be a better track car, the STI is a much better street car and everyday driver.

· Registered
4,241 Posts
I had an '05 and thought it was a great car... It was reliable enough to be my daily driver with a 20g and basic bolt-ons and was all a ton of fun out on the track. My only complaint was the extremely short gearing which wasn't addressed until MY '07.

If I remember correctly, the big problem with the motor were the piston rings going due to detonation. As with any other car, its all in the tune. The stock block isn't good for huge power, but it should be able to handle 400whp on a daily basis.

· Wobbiest: Three Laws Safe
12,986 Posts
I would do an EVO if you handed me the check, but not a new one. I'll take an EVO IX RS or MR depending on my goal. Those things are dirty on the track and a load of fun to drive on the street. :faint:

All EVO are holding their value VERY well too. STi are as well, but it appears not as strongly as the EVO.

That being said - I like them both and I think you can't go wrong with either, but perhaps there is a better fit one way or the other depending on taste.

· Registered
467 Posts
If your going to track the evo, don't get the mr. 6speed tranny will sh1t on you.

The best one is the SE, with everything what MR has except that its 5 speed instead of the 6 speed.
;).

And you heard these people ahhahah. Stis are everywhere, truuuue faaaact.

· Registered
445 Posts
I've had 2 STI's and never had issues with either. I was running a 30r on one and I beat the ever loving crap out of it and never had a problem. The STI trannies are ALOT stronger than the EVO's (stock for stock). IMO the STI has a nicer interior (not seats though), the evo interior feels and looks like a now 2-3k lancer. You also can't beat the exhaust note of a subaru with an aftermarket exhaust. I do like the looks of the evo on the outside better stock for stock, but drop the STI and a lip and I like the STI just as much. I'm actually looking at maybe getting another one for a DD up here in northern NY, Just my 2 cents.

· lovley bunch of Coconuts
178 Posts
Most people are going to be biased on the decision. You need to test drive them both and decide what you want from the car. They are both fantastic cars, both have there ups and downs.

you seem pretty concrete on the sti, good. they are wonderful cars. Just make sure to pro tune the car AS SOON as you get it. they have shakey track records as far as stock tunes and blowing up. Both of my brothers own sti, so head the warning.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.