Supra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering what gear you guys usually dyno your cars in. It was brought to my attention that if this isn't the 1:1 gear, it could give inaccurate readings. I've looked around and found that 5th gear appears to be the 1:1 gear. Any and all comments are welcome. Not bashing either, I love supras, one of my mustang buddy's told me about the 1:1 thing.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Yes, 5th is 1:1 in a 6sp Supra.

3rd is 1:1 in an auto. Not sure about 5spds (NAs).

:)

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Fifth is the 1:1 gear, but it doesn't matter. Assuming your able to produce the same power (from the engine) in forth and fifth you should get the same numbers. A dyno reads torque and calculates hp from this. HP is a function of basically two things, torque and rpm. In forth gear your tires will produce more torque but be spinnig slower than they would be in fifth.

Daniel

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok, it must've been the auto guys I'd always see dynoing in third gear. thanks for clearing that up

N

·
0 Posts
Yes 5th is the 1.1 gear on the 6speed and you will see higher numbers in 5th, I have back to back dynoed a lot of cars in both 4th and 5th. The reason nobody dose 5th gear pulls is the speed. Most dyno shops have the speed limiters set lower so a 5th gear pass will cut the the dyno out way before you get into the power band of rpm due to the tire speed.

If you dyno in 4th it will be a more accurate comparison from car to car of the avrage supra dyno as that is the norm for 99% of people on the board.

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
SupraWood said:
Fifth is the 1:1 gear, but it doesn't matter. Assuming your able to produce the same power (from the engine) in forth and fifth you should get the same numbers. A dyno reads torque and calculates hp from this. HP is a function of basically two things, torque and rpm. In forth gear your tires will produce more torque but be spinnig slower than they would be in fifth.

Daniel
I have seen Supras dynoed back to back in 4th, then 5th, and 5th always seems to produce more HP and torque. No surprise since the load on the engine is increased.

I know of a T04R that made 637 RWHP/600ish RWTQ in 4th gear then dynoed 5th and made 654 RWHP/692 RWTQ!! :eek: That explains those mean 5th gear pulls. :D :D

Most shops don't really like their dyno being spun at 160 mph or more though.............

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Larger turbos also spool better in the higher gear because of the slower rpm climb which can show bloated spool characteristics and more torque because of the quicker spool.

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
silvino said:
Larger turbos also spool better in the higher gear because of the slower rpm climb which can show bloated spool characteristics and more torque because of the quicker spool.
The increased load on the engine in the higher gear is what spools it up faster.

Al

1 - 8 of 8 Posts