Supra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Inline for the win
4,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So who has ran their car during the 1/2 miles events with the stock diff. There is concern I will say to see if the stock will hold such endurance when making close to 900 RWHP or greater.

I know people have ran it but can anyone comment.

This is not to discuss that aftermarket diffs are better suited.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I have been using a stock auto for 1/2 Mile guess 25 passes no issue also used the same one for the 1 mile 10 passes. Not so much a sound out of it. Most of the time I run 800 to 1000.

Early 1/2 mile were a roll at 45 to 55 then go at cones. Last time they seem to want to do a 1/2 Drag and speed went up.

·
Registered
3,623 Posts
Not at the 900hp you're at, but I have done numerous 1/2 mile events on the stock 6spd diff at 850whp. I now have TRD lsd and notice notice no difference in the 1/2 mile roll race.

·
Inline for the win
4,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not at the 900hp you're at, but I have done numerous 1/2 mile events on the stock 6spd diff at 850whp. I now have TRD lsd and notice notice no difference in the 1/2 mile roll race.
Chris,

Can you comment how and when you laying into the power?

I believe you did this on your 19" wheels, right?

DP

·
Premium Member
1,060 Posts
Your diff will be fine.
I have now made over 25 halfmile passes on a junkyard takeout rear end. Its an open diff smallcase from like a SC400

·
Registered
3,623 Posts
Chris,

Can you comment how and when you laying into the power?

I believe you did this on your 19" wheels, right?

DP
Correct. 19" R888's + boost by speed + traction control. The trac light definitely comes on in 2nd gear, but by 3rd I'm all in.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
I also have ran a few 1/2 mile roll races with stock diff. Same as ^, 18" R888's and it looses a bit of traction on 2nd gear. Hit 169 mph. (700 ish whp)

Since i am on stock Bilstein shocks (yellow) and Tein S-tech spring, car did feel light up top, not as stable as i would want it. Need stiffer suspension.

Ryan

·
Registered
4,540 Posts
This is my opinion of a Torsen and street driving: With my old HKS twin setup and stock Torsen, when boost would hit around 55 MPH, the back end would kick out to the left. This was on cold streets, and/or older DR's. It would scare the shit out of you, even if you knew it was coming!

This has everything to do with the Torsen. When my clutch type TRD spins, it spins straight. A Torsen has no business on a high powered turbo car, that my have a sudden surge of torque at speed.

Al

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
This has everything to do with the Torsen. When my clutch type TRD spins, it spins straight. A Torsen has no business on a high powered turbo car, that my have a sudden surge of torque at speed.

Al
I think this pretty much sums it up. I've ran a bunch of 1/2 mile events on the stock diff with 700-900 rwhp. In lower gears it's always hard to keep the car straight if it spins. Even through third when I make the mistake of ramping in too much boost it spins hard and gets sideways. When that happens, your run is pretty much shot from having to let off. I have an os giken diff on the way and I'm hoping the car will stay straight when spinning. It's not a necessity especially if you have boost by gear dialed in well. I'm more hoping it will help give me more margin for error.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
I think this pretty much sums it up. I've ran a bunch of 1/2 mile events on the stock diff with 700-900 rwhp. In lower gears it's always hard to keep the car straight if it spins. Even through third when I make the mistake of ramping in too much boost it spins hard and gets sideways. When that happens, your run is pretty much shot from having to let off. I have an os giken diff on the way and I'm hoping the car will stay straight when spinning. It's not a necessity especially if you have boost by gear dialed in well. I'm more hoping it will help give me more margin for error.
Are you sure it is not something else?

My car is around 700whp in this vid you can hear 2nd gear spinning like crazy. Car always stays straight. Factory diff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4SlMQuuy20

Ryan

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Yeah, I'm pretty certain. I just had the car aligned again and it still does it. From what I gather it's pretty common on a stock torsen lsd. If you don't have the issue, more power to you. I'm not excited about spending 1500 on a diff and install kit.

·
I blame the Midwest Sect.
1,097 Posts
Torsen diffs will shift power to one side if there is some spin. My car would 98 out of 100 times would kick out slightly to the right with the stock diff. Ever since I switched to the TRD it is 1 finger on the steering wheel.

Strength wise for the OEM torsen, 900whp on a slippery surface such as a 1/2 run it should be fine as long as you keep the wheel hop under control. Just be ready for a little ass dancing when power comes on.

·
Inline for the win
4,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Power will be ramped but most likely I will have a TRD equipped entire 6spd rear housing prior to my departure to borrow. I am wanting the OS Giken Superlock as that will suit my needs better for the car's primary purpose.

Either way I know I won't be able to lay into it 100% until 4th gear. No run is worth wheel hop and I have stood by that.

DP

1 - 13 of 13 Posts