Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
1/2 Na-T Project
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Whats up, I have noticed that my car likes to smoke sometimes when at WOT and after startup after boosting. First I thought it might be my turbo seals, but I pulled off my intake pipe and there was a good amount of oil sitting in the pipe and flowing into the afm. I have the lines from my valve covers routed to a catchcan and then a line running to the intake pipe. Is there any way I can catch more oil so it doesn't go into my intake pipe? The catch can is not baffled so that might be the problem. I heard some people pack the catchcan with steel wool so it catches more blowby...any truth to this? Any help would be appreciated.

Here are some pics of how my lines are routed:

·
Can't wait for Spring!
2,364 Posts
well.... you have your lines correct.

i would put some steel wool in the catch can, or try some thin metal screen material. like, the stuff that window screens are made out of, put a Z shape of that into your catch can.

·
1/2 Na-T Project
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
jong said:
well.... you have your lines correct.

i would put some steel wool in the catch can, or try some thin metal screen material. like, the stuff that window screens are made out of, put a Z shape of that into your catch can.
Yeah, I guess I will try that, are you just running your pcv lines to the ground?

·
Professional White Man
2,674 Posts
is your can full? I dont really see how it can still make it back into the intake, unless you have the can upside down or something, but you dont. Before you hooked up the catch can, did you clean out the insides of your intake pipes?

·
1/2 Na-T Project
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hoser813 said:
is your can full? I dont really see how it can still make it back into the intake, unless you have the can upside down or something, but you dont. Before you hooked up the catch can, did you clean out the insides of your intake pipes?
Just checked the can, its not even 1/4 full. I am positive the oil is coming from the lines to my intake pipe. I was thinking I might cut a piece of one of those 3m green scrubbies and see if it catches more of the oil. Seems like it would work better then steel wool.

·
1/2 Na-T Project
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thermactor said:
Dean Marcum said something about putting a check valve in with the PCV system, once...
So pretty much when under vacuum the valve would stay open but under boost it would stay closed and not allow crankcase gases to escape? I would be afraid of blowing my dipstick out if this is how it works.

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
JT87NA said:
So pretty much when under vacuum the valve would stay open but under boost it would stay closed and not allow crankcase gases to escape? I would be afraid of blowing my dipstick out if this is how it works.
Haha. Funny story, the dipstick on my car always blew out anyway when the car was N/A. I wonder how it'll stay on when the car's back on the road with the turbo :bigthumb:

·
Can't wait for Spring!
2,364 Posts
pull off your lower IC pipe and check for oil in the bottom of the intercooler. If there is oil in the IC, then, that means ( if your turbo seals are good) that there is too much oil pressure in the turbo and its leaking past the seals. This is EXACTLY what happened to me on my original design for my oil system. and if this is your unfortunate case, i have a feeling i know exactly what is causing it too. You are the first person that i know of to use that cooler bypass port as an oil drain for the na-t.

edit: that check valve thing he mentioned was probably to keep the pcv system in its stock setup. ie, routing to the throttle body. ya, and i tried that. it doesn't work. firstly, the check valve leaked boost. secondly, think about it, you are closing off all exits for that building pressure. So, it'll just keep building, and building, until something pops. In my case, it leaked passed my valve seals and puffed tons of smoke.

and here is an excellent experiement if you don't beleive me. plug you pcv system and drive around the block a couple times. you find out how important that system really is ...in a hurry. lol...

·
Be original, not a copy
861 Posts
Um no. The check valve is used in a different type of PCV system. Right now you have minimal vacuum in the PCV system. There is never a situation where boost pressure would enter your PCV system with your current setup so a check valve is not needed. If you were blowing your dipstick out when you were N/A then your rings are shot. Adding the turbo system will only make the condition worse. I get maybe a tablespoon of oil in my catch can between oil changes at 17+ psi.

·
Can't wait for Spring!
2,364 Posts
holy god, its the master himself :hail:

·
1/2 Na-T Project
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So your saying boost pressure never enters the pcv system and pressurizes the crankcase gases?

·
Can't wait for Spring!
2,364 Posts
not the way that you have it hooked up. its impossible. well.. you'd have to have some terribly leaky valve seals... maybe.. but...

just do me a favor and check your lower IC.. it wouldn't hurt

·
Be original, not a copy
861 Posts
No, blowby is the only thing that can pressurize the crankcase unless you have a line from between the turbo outlet and the intake valve plumbed into the crankcase or PCV system, which in this case, you do not. The only connection you have is from the turbo INLET (which is only under vacuum or atmospheric pressure) to the PCV/crankcase. If you had a line from the "intercooler system" (turbo outlet to intake valve) connected to the PCV can then you would have much greater vacuum in the PCV system (engine vacuum) and then when the motor goes into boost you would want a check valve to "close off" boost pressure to the system.

·
1/2 Na-T Project
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
DeanMarcum said:
No, blowby is the only thing that can pressurize the crankcase unless you have a line from between the turbo outlet and the intake valve plumbed into the crankcase or PCV system, which in this case, you do not. The only connection you have is from the turbo INLET (which is only under vacuum or atmospheric pressure) to the PCV/crankcase. If you had a line from the "intercooler system" (turbo outlet to intake valve) connected to the PCV can then you would have much greater vacuum in the PCV system (engine vacuum) and then when the motor goes into boost you would want a check valve to "close off" boost pressure to the system.
Well look at this vid and tell me why I am getting smoke from the two ports in my valve covers.

Vid

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
DeanMarcum said:
Excessive blowby. Either worn rings,cracked block, cracked cynlinder head, or blown head gasket.
His engine was rebuilt ~20,000 miles ago, and mine was rebuilt ~50,000 miles ago. I assume that his runs as strong as mine did before I tore the car down to put the turbo on. Hmm..

·
Be original, not a copy
861 Posts
What type of rings? What type of honing on the walls? How was the motor broken in? All of these things can dramatically affect ring life (especially chrome/moly rings).

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
DeanMarcum said:
What type of rings? What type of honing on the walls? How was the motor broken in? All of these things can dramatically affect ring life (especially chrome/moly rings).
I have no idea. My motor was done by ATK, and I wasn't the one who broke it in.
I guess the best I could do for now is to run some heavier oil. I had been running Castrol Syntec 0w30; I'll move over to 10w40.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts