Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
My fuel pump precedes me
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Now that I've got a mkiii turbo full of parts collecting dust I'm working on a little side project and wanted to get some opinions on an oil return line to the cooler port on the 7mge. I'm planning to use the -6AN to 12x1.25mm fitting that JT87NA used attached to a -6AN earl's super stock line (only planning to run it for 6mo or so while I save up for a motor for the 89T, so cheaper is better). I know a -10 or -8 line would be better, but it seems to me like the -6AN fitting is the bottleneck so the line size isn't really going to matter. Opinions?

Also, how long of a drain line did you guys use? I'm trying to decide how much hose to order. Thanks!

·
Just some guy
1,682 Posts
Personally, I wouldn't even do it. 10an is the minimum I would use. Do it right and weld a new fitting onto the pan. As far as hose length, long enough to get to the pan, but not long enough to cause an upward bend (IE, no more than 90 degrees)

·
1/2 Na-T Project
987 Posts
Racefiend said:
Personally, I wouldn't even do it. 10an is the minimum I would use. Do it right and weld a new fitting onto the pan. As far as hose length, long enough to get to the pan, but not long enough to cause an upward bend (IE, no more than 90 degrees)
:iwdumbass, my turbo was spitting oil into my lower IC pipe when I used this drain, it could have been because I was getting blowby from one cylinder but just to be safe you should just weld a fitting on. Later.

·
My fuel pump precedes me
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I PMed Dean to see how he ran his drain to the cooler port so we'll see what he says. This is temporary until I get the Supra up and running so I don't wanna mess with pulling the pan on the Cressida etc. I have a few more ideas so I'll let you guys know if I find something that works.

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
i'm running the (actually 10mm) oil cooler return port on my 86.5 pan for my na-t, and I haven't had any smoking issues yet. but that's just running the car on jack stands. i'll let you know how it holds when i actually drive the god damn thing (stupid suspension work)

·
Can't wait for Spring!
2,364 Posts
i haven't heard of any good luck with that cooler port

·
1/2 Na-T Project
987 Posts
Thermactor said:
i'm running the (actually 10mm) oil cooler return port on my 86.5 pan for my na-t, and I haven't had any smoking issues yet. but that's just running the car on jack stands. i'll let you know how it holds when i actually drive the god damn thing (stupid suspension work)
Definately let people know how it works out...at this point I really don't think it will work.

·
My fuel pump precedes me
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thermactor said:
10mm? Thought it was 12?

·
Banned
1,613 Posts
JT87NA said:
Definately let people know how it works out...at this point I really don't think it will work.

Before I did the same hole..My turbo seals were shot at the time..so I really don't know if this hole will work either..Just drill a hole in the pan..trust me

-Dave

·
My fuel pump precedes me
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
86SUPRA7mgte said:
Before I did the same hole..My turbo seals were shot at the time..so I really don't know if this hole will work either..Just drill a hole in the pan..trust me

-Dave

My main concern is not doing anything permanent to the pan since I will be returning the car to NA after I get my 89T running. That's the main reason I want to use the cooler port 'cause when I'm done I can just put the plug back in and be good to go.

I've got access to a machine shop so I'm thinking about getting some 12x1.25mm Al threaded rod and boring out the center to make my fitting so I don't have to use a restrictive AN or barb fitting. I'm just having trouble finding metric fine-threaded rod at the moment.

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
JT87NA said:
Drove the car for 21 miles yesterday. No smoke. Boosts fine (except for some knock from overly advanced timing and 9 month old gas, yeow.... gonna retard the timing). Hope it holds :x:

dok33 said:
10mm? Thought it was 12?
Every other 7M i had heard of has a 12. Mine was a freak and had a 10mm x 1.0 pitch hole. I'm running the stock GTE PCV setup by the way, and German Castrol Syntec 0w30 oil. And my car has low oil pressure, for an N/A. If I get smoking issues, I'm gonna choke up the oil feed line with an inline restrictor.

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
dok33 said:
good to hear! How do you have your oil drain set up (ie drain fittings and line size)?
it's brysonk's old oil setup. it's really, really ghetto :) the stock feed/return pipe, hacked up. The feed has a brass bushing thing pressed into it, and two threaded fittings tighten over it, and to go the oil pressure sender tee.
The return is the stock pipe, with a 5/8" oil hose over it, and that goes to the pan area, where it meets with a barbed 5/8"-1/2NPT adapter, to a 45 degree elbow, to a final reducer that went from 1/2NPT to 12x1.25, male.
I used a dremel to make my stock 10mm return port bigger because the 12mm fitting wouldn't fit there, and then used a tap and die set to tap it out the rest of the way to 1/2"-20TPI, and used the die on the 12x1.25 and rethreaded it to that for the pan fitting. Screwed it on, said a prayer, and it worked.

Now about 60 miles. No smoke, no oil consumption at all.
God I love boost. Hearing the thing spool up.... oh my god :drool: :wackit:

fuck yeah

·
Registered
583 Posts
^^^ hows it feel horsepower wise???

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
DavidTT87 said:
^^^ hows it feel horsepower wise???
i haven't really full-throttled it because i'm still on the tank of old gas. but part throttle (like 30 percent), feeling the boost kick in, the car pulls harder than it ever did at full-throttle as N/A. Way harder. Especially on the highway, it kicks from 60-80 like nobody's business.

It's awesome. I'm NEVER going back to N/A. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
dok33 said:
Any idea where the 1/2 NPT to 12x1.25 adapter came from? I cant find anything in metric other than that -6AN carb fitting JT used and I'd to go a little bigger than that (at least 1/2")
Bro, I have no clue. You'll have to ask BrysonK himself, he migh tbe able to source you one. I'd just go with Earl's fittings or something like that from Summit or JC Whitney. I forgot the source, but they sell that kind of stuff... I think?
I'm just glad that I was able to mod what I had to be able to fit without having to go through the nightmare of figuring out what parts of the plumbing to order. Hold off on doing anything like my setup for a while anyway, I'm going to start driving the car 70 miles (round-trip) to and from work every day starting on Tuesday, so if there's anything that's wrong, I'll find out pretty damn soon. So far, so good. I think a lot of it has to do with the viscosity of the oil and the fact that I'm on the GTE intake manifold and 7M-GTE factory PCV setup. I know that the crew with the 1/2 NA-T that ran into problems ran the 7M-GE PCV setup (or some variation of it) and thicker oil. Their oil pressure was probably higher than mine too, I get 40psi at startup. Cruising on the highway when hot is also about 40psi, and idling is anywhere from 15-20psi when hot. Not running an oil cooler, will probably end up installing the one I got though. (It's as big as a Honda radiator and the only place it will fit is between the condenser and the radiator. Need to get an oil thermostat for it first.)

·
My fuel pump precedes me
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The fitting stuff isn't too bad to figure out (mainly because I had all that stuff rammed into my brain in engineering school), it's just the fact that there aren't too many metric options out there. The Earl's -6AN --> 12x1.25mm carb fitting is a direct plug in to the cooler port, but it restricts you to a rather small drain line (3/8"). I mean, I could get an adapter to step it up from -6AN to -10AN or something, but the -6AN fitting is just going to act like a funnel as it drains back into the pan. 1/2" would be nice, but I guess we'll see how yours works. I'm planning to run a catch can, possibly with a vacuum line hooked up. Good call on the thinner oil too, should help with the draining as well. Definitely keep us updated, I'm hoping to have my parts together by mid-June when my wife brings the Cressida down from Lubbock.

·
1/2 Na-T Project
987 Posts
Thermactor said:
Bro, I have no clue. You'll have to ask BrysonK himself, he migh tbe able to source you one. I'd just go with Earl's fittings or something like that from Summit or JC Whitney. I forgot the source, but they sell that kind of stuff... I think?
I'm just glad that I was able to mod what I had to be able to fit without having to go through the nightmare of figuring out what parts of the plumbing to order. Hold off on doing anything like my setup for a while anyway, I'm going to start driving the car 70 miles (round-trip) to and from work every day starting on Tuesday, so if there's anything that's wrong, I'll find out pretty damn soon. So far, so good. I think a lot of it has to do with the viscosity of the oil and the fact that I'm on the GTE intake manifold and 7M-GTE factory PCV setup. I know that the crew with the 1/2 NA-T that ran into problems ran the 7M-GE PCV setup (or some variation of it) and thicker oil. Their oil pressure was probably higher than mine too, I get 40psi at startup. Cruising on the highway when hot is also about 40psi, and idling is anywhere from 15-20psi when hot. Not running an oil cooler, will probably end up installing the one I got though. (It's as big as a Honda radiator and the only place it will fit is between the condenser and the radiator. Need to get an oil thermostat for it first.)

Good to hear your setup is working out for you Therm, isn't boost incredible, I don't know why I didn't do this conversion earlier. After figuring that I was going to keep spending money on the n/a mods and only getting down to the high 14's I figured wtf :). Keep us updated. Later.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts