Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

· Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my girlfriend wanted a convertable..... we took the solara out for a ride and it was ok,... don't want to spend 16k on somthing thats or, so I picked up a 240 that needed a motor, its a cali car and the underside is very clean, for a 92 I didnt brake a single bolt taking the heat shields off, I'm putting in a junkyard stock motor to finish the summer out.

However i'm thinking of doing a 1j top end and electronics swap over the winter with a repaint and a 2j ge bottom.... looking to run stock boost, a front mount new y pipe back and an intake.... and a clutch,.... what kind of engine managment would you guys say? job for a piggy back or what? just looking for a quick toy for her,... the sr20 is a tq less pile, not really wanting to do a rb... and i have the 2j sitting here.

gimmie your ideas please!!!!

· Registered
6,381 Posts
there is really no money added is there? other than injectors and maybe freshing up the bottom end? just thinking the high compression low boost with low gearing would make for a fun around town car. the .5 liter would add a bit of torqe wouldnt it?
1jz-power is right. For a small car like that and the true twins is plenty for the car.
From my experience running the twins on a 3.0 liter bottom end made it a fun all around car ( Supra MKIII ) with boost coming on instantly.
Unless you are going a big single, no need for the extra liter. 1jz has enough torque for around town driving and then some.

· Banned
3,472 Posts
why are you guys so damn affraid of teh 1jz not making power?? are you all just fucking pussies?? im running a 74mm on my 1j and it seems to make plenty of power. i dont know what to tell you all other than the info is out there. the 1j can go up to 900hp with the supporting ems and fuel. if you dont like turbo lag, then dont upgrade, or use NOS.

· Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
not really afraid of of it not making power. it's a 2800 pound car, just thought i have a block sitting here and thought it would be cool having the small twins spool even quicker than they already do. if i drop the 1j in with just a y pipe and exhaust i'm ic and the other needed stuff i'm looking at 315 at the wheels, if I had to guess with the ge bottom end and the same mods i'd be looking at 375. granted it would be maxed out at that point however I don't think she needs much more.

· Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
this isnt your girlfriends car if you're going to swap something into it.

Buy her a Jetta.

Is this comment to up your post count?

Why can't I build her a car if shes helping? did you start off building all by yourself?

When is the last time they made a convertable jetta? eos? maybe?

good job on the 0 thought that went into the post tho!

· Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Shit I would kill for a lady that loves boost and wrenching...Id say sit her down and ask her what she wants...
either candy apple red, or a close to honda fit black berry pearl purple, going to decide by winter, then she wants leather,.... some gold wheels, stereo that can be heard with the top down,.... and it to be in her words "fast",.... my words quick toy car for road trips in the summer.......

How many women sit in the pass. side seat with you doing 130+ with a grin painted on? she just gets a bit scared but likes it when you break all 4 tires loose in a turn.... ehh ohwell they all have flaws :p

· Registered
196 Posts
very true..yeah my ex girl wouldnt even touch the motor of a car..I tought her how to check her fluids and a week later she asked me to check her fluids..lol..She was one of those get in, turn the key and go type women..well you can keep the 2jge bottom for somethin you want to build and just turbo the KA motor, throw 15 pounds at it and she will be happy...Those KA motors rip when built...I used to have a turbo altima with the ka24de and it was pretty damn quick..then I got sucked in by RWD. But its up to you (or her).

· Banned
3,472 Posts
Yeah I know monkey se monkey do. That's what you guys are all about.

not really afraid of of it not making power. it's a 2800 pound car, just thought i have a block sitting here and thought it would be cool having the small twins spool even quicker than they already do. if i drop the 1j in with just a y pipe and exhaust i'm ic and the other needed stuff i'm looking at 315 at the wheels, if I had to guess with the ge bottom end and the same mods i'd be looking at 375. granted it would be maxed out at that point however I don't think she needs much more.

· Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah I know monkey se monkey do. That's what you guys are all about.
kinda odd that I was going to build this combo 3.5 years ago.... when only a very few people where doing it.... but yes i'm all about copying people, so I guess I better break out the pile of jdm parts and have her go drifting (after all it is a 240) thanx for the ideas, and the help!

· Registered
196 Posts
yeah man, I would say just turbo the KA..unless she wants the deep tone of a 1j. Throw a holset hx or hy35 on there, some 440cc injectors, walbro pump. Ebay manifold. Front mount IC and a 3" DP and exhaust, and some type of engine managment like a apexi fuel controller or somethin like that and she is gonna be happy. All for about a 1000 bucks give or take..I would hook up the suspension first though, but thats just me.

· Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
the ka that in there is out of a junkyard, since the stock one had a bad rod bearing, and rather than drop 1500 bucks into a full rebuild (which is alot cheaper than I thought it would be) I thought we could do somthing a bit diff. that and 6 just sounds a whole lot better.

susp. will most likely consist of a set of tein basics, sway bars and some somthing or other to make up for the covertable part, also need to do somthing about the brakes.... from what I hear they are a bit underpowered.... I'll know next week when its up and running and on the road

· Registered
196 Posts
yeah the aftermarket for the 240sx is really abundant...I used to have a 1990 240sx coupe with a non torque sr20det...Until I got married to an mk3 supra...I was thinking about building up a rb30det but with the non us support for rb motors I decided toyota was the way to go..and plus I just love the targa top and the reliability of toyota I couldnt go wrong...I had the z32 brakes on my 240 and it stopped on a dime even with 125mph pulls to zero it was great...

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.