Supra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, just looking for some pointers on what I can have on the motor prior to dropping it into the engine bay. It’s a 1.5JZ into a 1990 for the record. My bro in law seems to think the intake and exhaust manifolds should be attached after lowering in but the exhaust manifold in particular seems like it would be a real beast to attach while in the engine bay. Anybody that’s done this and knows what I can do to maximize efficiency with the install please. I haven’t come across a thread that covers this particular aspect and and while it may sound stupid, I’m not a professional and am doing this with just the help of my bro in law. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do it all before and put all the coolant lines for the intake on and route them so no chaffing occurs.

Then install it.
Well that sounds simple enough. I’m doing the clutch fan in lieu of electric fans, would you suggest that being on as well in this case? No risk of catching and breaking a fin? Although that would probably be the least of my troubles as far as attaching after install anyway.

·
Registered
92 Posts
You can put the fan on after install, just make sure the radiator is out prior to putting the motor in so you have more clearance.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Get it all installed ok? I'm in the process of prepping a head swap myself, so it's interesting to see what other people have done. I can't see anything wrong with installing the manifolds before the engine goes in, but if one were to put the head on without the manifolds attached, the manifolds can be put on in-car.

Depending on the manifolds used, access may be tricky, particularly in the case of the exhaust. I won't do another in-car replacement of any of the stock twins again, once was more than enough. Singles, on the other hand, are relatively easy, other than some of the fasteners on the lower side, depending on the manifold.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts