Supra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I just got ahold of a 2jz block that I want to put in my 89 5 speed turbo. I also am getting a 1jz with a blown rod. the guys said he had the wireing harness for the 1j swap. I was wondering what else I am going to need to get this swap (ECU?). I know I am going to have to make IC pipe and stuff like that. I would just like to know from some of you guys who have done this so I can have all the stuff ready when the swap happens. I am going to make this my Shop car so I can totaly shut up the DSM crowd.

·
SF in my veins... sigh
1,586 Posts
Quick list because I only have a couple mins:

1J ECU
1J to R154 trans bellhousing
MKIV throttle cable
MKIV high pressure power steering hose.
2JZ timing belt (NOT 1J)

You'll also have to check to see that your 89 has the new style crossmember and engine mounts (round) or you'll have to swap up to an 89.5+ crossmember too.

Use the engine mounts off the 1J block... use a 1J or 2J head gasket... and you're good to go.

Essentially it's the same as a 1J swap (see thread this form), except you're putting in the 3L block. Also you'll need to consider more fuel (550s?) and some form of fuel management computer to compensate for that extra displacement. (stock ECU expects 2.5L)

PM me if ya wanna chat about it sometime.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Parts list!

Also you will need the complete water pump assembly, oil feed and drain hoses, water return aluminum housing from the 2JZ. motor mounts for the 1JZ will bolt up correctly. R 154 tranny with either the 1JZ bell housing or 1JZ tranny with 8 bolt flywheel. You can also use the 2JZ GE NA flywheel and 7M GTE clutch assembly and fork. HTH.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks much for the info guys if you got any more let me know. I will keep you updated on the progress

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
just resurrecting this..

If i already have the 1JZ installed... how hard would it be? I have j-spec JZA70 with suspected bottom end trouble.. hence the question :(

Cheers
adi

·
Registered
720 Posts
AHHHHHHGH! ADI, NOOOOOOOO!
oh well get the 1.5jz going.
hey, check your private messages i have one for you.

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
from what people have said on here and other forums its almost a certainty ... i'm considering the short term fix (replacement rod bearings, centre crank bearings) as i'm skint at the mo. got to weigh it all up...

I think this will be one of the first 1J's ive heard of with bottom end problems...

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
from wat iv seen if ur goin with the 2jz block u can also go with the 2jz harness ecu ams and so on alot of the sensors r the same
from the 1jz-2jz i personly looked at it with the friend and it can be done . and lots of other things fit the 1jz from the 2jz

·
Registered
88 Posts
im thinking about getting an '87 supra w/ no motor, and instead of buying a 7m with a bhg, im just going to buy a 1j ... does this combo. sound like a good one?

2J head
1J block
1J manual tranny
1J auto differential

a friend has a manual 94 manual with an auto differential, and the only thing ive noticed, is that 1st gear is so quick, which would be pretty good for drag racing ... right?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts