Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I took my Supra to Sears Point on Wednesday(unfortunately they cut it to 1/8th due to construction). I only ran twice, 9.2 @ 77 and 9.4 @ 78 with 2.2 and 2.3 60' times respectively. This didn't seem too quick, but I guess our cars do better in the last 1/8th? Anyone have any ideas what this equates to in the 1/4? I was thinking ~13.7? I know my launch needs work, I had never launched high HP, rear drive before and this was basically the first time I launched. Anyways, was just trying to get a baseline before I install my BPU parts next week. I'll return to Sears on the 25th of April and see what she pulls at BPU. Here are the links for the videos if interested:

www.turbocelica.com/supra_drag.mpg

www.turbocelica.com/supra_drag2.mpg

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Tarik, I can tell by the picture you're not stock as I see an exhaust. What are your mods? I found an old time slip of a Supra TT automatic with it's only mod being a catback exhaust. Similar 60's as you the time slip reads:

60' 2.266
330 5.994
1/8 8.900
MPH 85.11
1000 11.396
1/4 13.494
MPH 107.87

John H
12.2 @ 116 BPU w/ stock air filter :)

Originally posted by Tarik:
<STRONG>Hi guys,

I took my Supra to Sears Point on Wednesday(unfortunately they cut it to 1/8th due to construction). I only ran twice, 9.2 @ 77 and 9.4 @ 78 with 2.2 and 2.3 60' times respectively. This didn't seem too quick, but I guess our cars do better in the last 1/8th? Anyone have any ideas what this equates to in the 1/4? I was thinking ~13.7? I know my launch needs work, I had never launched high HP, rear drive before and this was basically the first time I launched. Anyways, was just trying to get a baseline before I install my BPU parts next week. I'll return to Sears on the 25th of April and see what she pulls at BPU. Here are the links for the videos if interested:

www.turbocelica.com/supra_drag.mpg

www.turbocelica.com/supra_drag2.mpg</STRONG>

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by John H:
Tarik, I can tell by the picture you're not stock as I see an exhaust. What are your mods? I found an old time slip of a Supra TT automatic with it's only mod being a catback exhaust. Similar 60's as you the time slip reads:

60' 2.266
330 5.994
1/8 8.900
MPH 85.11
1000 11.396
1/4 13.494
MPH 107.87

John Hein
12.2 @ 116 <-stock air filter :)
Hi John,

Hmm, looks like my trap speeds are not up to par? ET isn't too far off, but considering I got the same 60 ft time, it should be closer I would imagine. My mods are Greddy PE exhaust, HKS hardpipe kit and Airinz intake with a Greddy Type-S bov. Maybe I have a boost leak somewhere? I just replaced the spark plugs ~1000 miles ago with NGK 3330's.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by Tarik:
<STRONG>Hi guys,

I only ran twice, 9.2 @ 77 and 9.4 @ 78 with 2.2 and 2.3 60' times respectively. This didn't seem too quick, but I guess our cars do better in the last 1/8th? Anyone have any ideas what this equates to in the 1/4? I was thinking ~13.7?
</STRONG>
I recall seeing formulas wherein you divide your 1/8 time by .65 or multiply it by 1.55, which should get you a close estimate.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I dont think those would even be in the 13's. More like 14.0-14.2 Thats a REAL LOW trap speed! My car went 80 through the traps bone stock. I hate not having a 1/4 near by. Oh well, the 1/8 is where all the skill is involved...

·
Registered
182 Posts
Not to sound insulting, but your times seem slow.
You might want to check your car over.
Here is my best time on Nitto Drag radials.
60ft 2.06
1/8 Et. 8.106
1/8 MPH 94.5

Thanks
Josh

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not to seem insulting either but your times are real slow for that MPH. I'm guessing its a 6spd. I've had the same problem. The two things that will help you are: 1)Lots of track time. I've probibly launched my car 100 times at the track. You get better each time. 2)GET A 2STEP!!!!! That thing is the savior of the 6spd supra! I out launched an auto supra today and we were both on drag radials! I've just now been starting to get some better launches out of my 6spd. My best on Nittos is an [email protected] with a 1.94 60' and my best on BFG DR's is [email protected] with a 1.84 60'! Your car's makin tons of power just spend more time at the track and get a 2step. Good luck man, I know how hard it is.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Brad,

No offense taken, I know my launch needs a lot of work. I was kind of worried about my MPH though, it seems kind of low. On April 21st I am getting the car dynoed and will be at BPU. Hopefully I will get some good numbers. Maybe it's just a clogged cat? BTW, I was thinking of getting the 2-step limiter, but I only launch at ~3000 anyways, so I didn't see an advantage to it yet. Maybe if/when I get drag slicks it will be advantageous. Thanks for your input. :)

·
Registered
182 Posts
Brad

I'm not sure if you were refering to me or Tarik, but either way no offence taken. Thanks for the advice. I'm seriously considering th 2 step. Is it hard to hook up? Can it be spliced into a VPC harnes? I'll be the first to admit that I could use more pratice and less wheel spin:) I figured I should be running mid 7's with that MPH.
Josh

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was talking to both of you about the 2step and track time needed in 6spds but to Nemisis about the high MPH. The 2step is only 4 wires and will do fine with a VPC.

·
Listen to my hands...
323 Posts
Originally posted by Brad Mayo:
<STRONG>I was talking to both of you about the 2step and track time needed in 6spds but to Nemisis about the high MPH. The 2step is only 4 wires and will do fine with a VPC.</STRONG>

The 2 step is that easy to install? Might have to go that route instead of NOS ;)

Could you give some install info Brad?

Thanks.

Scott

Peace

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've got a TRD single disk. Its not hard on clutches unless you launch right...slip it. I made at least 75 passes on my stock clutch on street tires at BPU without slipping the clutch. Never better han 8.5 in the 1/8. Then I started to get the hang of slipping the clutch and ran 8.3 on street tires. The day after I made the 8.3 run my clutch went out while getting on the interstate. I got the TRD single disk and I've proble put another 25-30 passes on it with only a couple just right with 1.8 60's. I only made 3 passes Sunday when I ran that 7.8 because I could smell the clutch a little after the run. So yes, a 2step is hard on the clutch if you launch right. Thats just something us 6spds have to deal with to go fast. Oh well...

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Originally posted by Rviscosi:
<STRONG>Your 1/4 mile time would be about [email protected] mph. There is definitely something wrong. Check your boost pressure first, I think you may be right about the boost leak. You should be at about 11-12 psi(.75-83 bar) at stock boost, anything lower than 10.5-11 psi and you have a leak, wastegate, turbo type problem. How many miles do you have? Maybe your bov is messed up?</STRONG>
I currently have 81k miles. I don't leak or burn oil at all, and have no type of smoke out of the tailpipe at any times. I sure as hell hope it's a boost leak. I don't know what kind of boost I am getting because I haven't installed a boost gauge yet. I have a Greddy electronic gauge I planned on installing this week.

Maybe I should reinstall the stock BOV and see if it makes a difference?

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You need a down pipe real bad. Thats whats gonna really change the car. Also the BOV is hurting you more than helping you. If you at stock boost levels the stock BOV is more than enough. The GReddy is just making you run rich between shifts. I'll be selling my RMM downpipe soon so let me know if you want 60hp cheap :)

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yea, I'll drop you an email in the next day or 2.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Your 1/4 mile time would be about [email protected] mph. There is definitely something wrong. Check your boost pressure first, I think you may be right about the boost leak. You should be at about 11-12 psi(.75-83 bar) at stock boost, anything lower than 10.5-11 psi and you have a leak, wastegate, turbo type problem. How many miles do you have? Maybe your bov is messed up?

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Brad, is the 2 step real tough on clutchs? What for a clutch are you runnin?

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks, but I actually already have a RMM dp which I'm installing tommorow along with a BCC. Next week is the Greddy boost gauge and Profec B and the week after is dyno time. I sure hope I pull some decent numbers, kind of worried right now. :(

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Your cat is probly dead. I think the DP should help you out alot. You really should install the boost gauge at the same itme as the DP. Its easy and could save you from trouble.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Originally posted by Brad Mayo:
<STRONG>Your cat is probly dead. I think the DP should help you out alot. You really should install the boost gauge at the same itme as the DP. Its easy and could save you from trouble.</STRONG>
Brad, I think you were right. I just got done installing the DP and took it out for a test spin. Holy SHIT! It's like a whole different car. I love the new exhaust sound as well. It pulls WAY better now. I am now very anxious to up the boost! :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts