Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so I want to replace the center bearing for my stock driveshaft.

However, I wonder:

1)Why did Toyota make 2-piece driveshaft which in theory is more costly than making 1-piece?

2)Who has replaced the stock shaft to 1-piece and what are your experiences with two different driveshafts?

4)Which way is more cost-effective in the long run?

5)What are the advantages and disadvantages between the two designs?

Hopefully these questions will help others in the future as well. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time and thoughts in advance. :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
I would go with a one peice aluminum. I sell drive shafts for a living and many of my customers prefer to go with the one peice alum. The reasons I know of that they are lighter and there is less to go wrong with them. I'm not sure why some car companies make two peice drive shafts on smaller cars. Cars like the extended cab s10 i know need it due to the length. Shorter cars like a Mustang/Camaro/240SX/Supra should be converted especially if you beat on the cars. You'll save weight and repair costs. I'm sure most people on this board are familiar with the cost of a new hanger bearing. Parts can be expensive and scarce. This is why we usually make our own design and use a one peice alum. I hope that contributed somthing to the topic. :)

·
Registered
212 Posts
i have the 1 piece drive shaft and i love it. i also noticed my car get a little more responsive/torquier when i put this on (its seems crazy, but its true) i think thats because tho, i had a little slack in my 2 piece.....either way, i recommend it....

·
Fatty McFatty pants
1,279 Posts
thanks, and interesting...anyone else?
did you even bother reading that thread? looks like you seem to be missing the whole point,
stop playing the typical mk3 stereotype, read, learn and don't be a cheapie, and oh a SHEEP, that seems to be the thread here. One person puts a finger in the butt and finds gold and everybody else follows suit.

·
NorCal Haters Club
2,251 Posts
OK, so I want to replace the center bearing for my stock driveshaft.

However, I wonder:

1)Why did Toyota make 2-piece driveshaft which in theory is more costly than making 1-piece?

2)Who has replaced the stock shaft to 1-piece and what are your experiences with two different driveshafts?

4)Which way is more cost-effective in the long run?

5)What are the advantages and disadvantages between the two designs?

Hopefully these questions will help others in the future as well. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time and thoughts in advance. :)
Response to 1. Driveshaft Angle
Response to 2. A lot of people, mostly good, some people did not like the scratches in the paint job lol.
Response to 3. hahahahahahah, you skipeed this one
Response to 4. Depends on what your plans are
Response to 5. Pro-Lighter more responsive, con-vibration, premature bearing failure on differential

Jeff

·
Mmmmm... Boost.
64 Posts
I have a 1 piece aluminum driveshaft form "the driveshaft shop" IDK why Toyota made a 2 piece. I could lift my new drive shaft with my one finger but could barley lift he stock one with one arm, great weight reduction. Easy to install too.

·
NorCal Haters Club
2,251 Posts
I have a 1 piece aluminum driveshaft form "the driveshaft shop" IDK why Toyota made a 2 piece. I could lift my new drive shaft with my one finger but could barley lift he stock one with one arm, great weight reduction. Easy to install too.
Please refer to post #9. hahahaha

·
Custom User Title
974 Posts

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Response to 5. Pro-Lighter more responsive, con-vibration, premature bearing failure on differential

Jeff
How premature is the bearing failure? I'm guessing it has a lot to do with how you drive the car. I'm not doing burnouts or drag racing but I also don't drive like a grandma. It's not something you would have to repair as often as say every 30k miles is it?

·
Moderator, Aight Peace
6,130 Posts
I've had a one piece aluminum on my mk3 for about 5 years and so far no complaints and loving it! :) aight peace :chicken:

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Wow, lots of great posts. That's why I love this forum. :)

Would it be safe to say from the information I have that 1-piece driveshaft is the most popular choice and less people tend to keep the 2-piece drive-shaft?

I wonder if there are any other people who actually thought about getting a 1-piece driveshaft BUT ended up keeping the 2-piece driveshaft.

·
I gots deep pockets cuz
952 Posts
My center bearing is bad also, bought one fairly cheap at autozone so I will have to change that out and then later go 1 peice myself. Thanks for the website link

·
Over 10 years on SF....
7,892 Posts
I've heard about Saftey Issues when a 1 piece breaks... but I'm not sure how much truth there is to that.

Whenever I get one I'll most likely get one from Shaftmasters... a 2 piece.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts