Supra Forums banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
NorCal Haters Club
2,251 Posts
How premature is the bearing failure? I'm guessing it has a lot to do with how you drive the car. I'm not doing burnouts or drag racing but I also don't drive like a grandma. It's not something you would have to repair as often as say every 30k miles is it?
Most of the people that will see bearing failure will be racing the car. Hard launches, sticky tires, ect. Daily driving you should be okay.

·
NorCal Haters Club
2,251 Posts
I've heard about Saftey Issues when a 1 piece breaks... but I'm not sure how much truth there is to that.

Whenever I get one I'll most likely get one from Shaftmasters... a 2 piece.
I would question what safety issues. It will not matter if you have a 1 piece or a 2 piece, if your driveline breaks, look out. If you are racing I would recommend a driveshaft loop so it does not come flying through the tranny tunnel.

Shaftmasters???? Isn't that a machine they use to make the driveshafts?

Jeff

·
Registered
1 Posts
OK, so I want to replace the center bearing for my stock driveshaft.

However, I wonder:

1)Why did Toyota make 2-piece driveshaft which in theory is more costly than making 1-piece?

2)Who has replaced the stock shaft to 1-piece and what are your experiences with two different driveshafts?

4)Which way is more cost-effective in the long run?

5)What are the advantages and disadvantages between the two designs?

Hopefully these questions will help others in the future as well. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time and thoughts in advance. :)
I just replaced my 2 piece with a one piece drive shaft. It must of not been installed correctly because I was driving home and it exploded on me so make sure it’s installed correctly

·
Registered
6,431 Posts
I just replaced my 2 piece with a one piece drive shaft. It must of not been installed correctly because I was driving home and it exploded on me so make sure it’s installed correctly
1st order driveshaft vibrations... something a 2 piece driveshaft does not suffer. Especially if the length of the driveshaft HAPPENS to hit the natural frequency which in a 1 piece, it usually does due to weight and length. CF driveshafts are excluded.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts