Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i just got my wideband installed and im still trying to install my map ecu and figure out how to use the blitz BC..

its set at 1.45 bar right now and the fjo gauge is showing 10.5-10.7 at WOT

is this really bad? to rich? to much boost?

i dont want to hurt my motor since it has over 110k on the clock

could someone please just check in on this real fast thanks, scott

·
11,217 Posts
10.5 is prob a little conservative, but 20psi on pump gas isn't. I'd prob lower boost down to around 18, and try to lean out towards 11.5

·
Registered
934 Posts
yup agree w/ mike. 20 psi wont net u as much as u think compared to 18 psi on stock twin since its starting to push hot air.

but seriously, if ur so worried about hurting the engine, why are you even going anywhere NEAR 1.45 bars and 20 psi? LOL ur doing exactly opposite of what you should do.

for super conservative tune on 93, stay around 1.1 to 1.3 bars with 11.0 afr.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thats what i am trying to do...the car came back from the shop with this setting and im still trying to understand how the blitz bc works...i dont have the manual tho

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
22pounds with race gas and low 11 afr should be fine tho correct? i just want to make sure...right now i have no way of leaning the car out...theres no tuning software on the car

·
miata owner...
1,367 Posts
mifesto said:
well i had to assume ur on stock twins. 22 psi is way too high for it with pump OR race gas.

Agreed! I wouldn't boost over 16psi on pump gas period! If you want more power I say tune to 11.5 @ wot which is still conservative.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
k thanks guys...im still trying to understand the blitz BC...last night i went out for a drive and i didnt touch anything and the bc said it was set at 1.12 bar... not sure whats up...i probably just dont know how to use it so ill just take it easy for a while until i can get someone to actually show me up close how to use it or until i can get english instructions

my a/r last night were also 10.9 through 4000rpm to redline

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Are you using the blitz i-color? I ask because I still can't get this friggin thing to keep my boost below 18-20 pounds on stock twins. It's pretty damn frustrating.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
no its an older model...thats really weird tho...im sure someone else will know

GL, scott

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
No more than 1 BAR on pump for me :ugh2:

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
MissSupra said:
No more than 1 BAR on pump for me :ugh2:
I'd agree -- I've seen several instances where the stock ECU seems to pull timing at >15-16 PSI on pump gas. Pulling timing = too much boost for the fuel quality, IMO. Those tiny peashooter factory turbos just cause so much backpressure (HOT exhaust gas remaining in the cylinder to compete with fresh charge air and raise the temperature of it) at higher boost pressures that it just seems risky to subject the engine to that.

·
A zone of danger.
1,175 Posts
OMG, this thread could fill a fackin canyon with all the bad information. After post #2, its all downhill. You ppl should do some homework before you just start posting junk. Do some SEARCHING, and you'll find...

93 Octane:
Max boost = 17-18psi
Safe AFR w/ good power = 11.2-11.5:1
^^ These numbers are backed by a tremendous amount of posts and users.

110 Octane:
Max boost < 23psi. After that, some of the guys who are really pushing the twins (and who actually have logs from the OBDII scan tool, mind you) report that the hot air from the stockers will force the ECU to pull timing slightly.
Safe AFR w/ good power = 12.3-12.5:1. Stu Hagen went as far as 13.0:1 when the car pulled timing. However, the car made no more power over 12.5:1. All this was backed by logs.

So, look this stuff up and see for yourself. As for you guys running 14-16psi and weak AFR's...LOL...I hope 300rwhp is fun. I'll stick to running 420+ on settings that are backed up by hard data (including my own logs), not "IMO's", "probably's" and theories on how hard you can push the twins. Some of us are actually doin it.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Great info Mike

Personally, I've read that after 20psi, the gains on the stockers is minimal so when I went to the track last summer I had 5 gallons of 94 and added 5 gallons of Sunoco GT100 to boost at 20psi. I won't boost anything over that on 100 octane. No reason to.

As for pump gas, 18psi on a cool evening on 93 octane. On a hot day, I wouldn't put the car under heavy boosting and if so, like Mike said, 17psi. No reason to gamble. 22 psi on pump gas is stupid. The AFR is on the rich side. I dynoed my car a few weeks ago at 15psi and after 5000rpms, the AFR dropped to ~10. Better to be rich than lean I guess. When I finally buy a SAFC, Ill tune for 11.1-11.5

Ryan

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
Dego Red said:
As for you guys running 14-16psi and weak AFR's...LOL...I hope 300rwhp is fun. I'll stick to running 420+ on settings that are backed up by hard data (including my own logs), not "IMO's", "probably's" and theories on how hard you can push the twins. Some of us are actually doin it.
A good condition BPU + FMIC will make 430+ on 17-18 PSI.

·
Registered
350 Posts
At NE2K6, my BPU dynoed at 389rwhp/390 lbs torque at 15 psi (according to the guy in the car at the time) going rich after 5k rpms and I have NO fmic, fuel management, or VPC. I could safely assume 450 is a reasonable goal at 20psi on 100 octane

·
A zone of danger.
1,175 Posts
Boost Junkie said:
A good condition BPU + FMIC will make 430+ on 17-18 PSI.
Well since you're being optomistic, lets analyze that...

First, a good condition car would have to be 165+ across all the cylinders (to lay down 430), which you dont see all that often, unless very low mileage.

Second, I've *never* seen that on nothing more than BPU + FMIC. Everyone in that range is VPC/cam gears/SAFC/etc...thus not straight BPU. If it has been done, the car is most likely wicked lean and pulling timing in the dead spot running OBDI, or too rich to get there on OBDII. There's always 1 or 2 factory-freaks out there, but that's not exactly the range most of us are in. The majority are 390-410rwhp.

Third, the part of my post you quoted stated 14-16, not 17-18psi. Yes, I was being somewhat facetious with the 300rwhp remark, but thats pretty weak in MKIV standards, and I found it funny.

Last, my car was killed on the dyno by shitty plugs the last time I ran. At 19psi (aiming for 22-23), being way rich at 11.2:1 on straight 110, and the car breaking up from 4K to abort at 6K, I STILL made 405rwhp. I couldnt trim it out or change plugs cuz I was doing it on my lunch hour at work. I know the car is at least 50-60rwhp stronger on the street when tuned correctly. I'll back it up shortly with graphs when I take an hour of dyno time late next week or early the week after.

So if you can find more than 1 or 2 instances where a BPU + FMIC made 430+ at 17-18psi, I will gladly retract my statement.

·
iSketch Master!
9,044 Posts
Hey which boost controller did you get? The DSBC? I used to have problems with it, but got used to the thing and its been great. Im also running about 19lbs daily over here on the stock twins. 140k miles :bigthumb:

Alex

·
A zone of danger.
1,175 Posts
Alx2785 said:
Hey which boost controller did you get? The DSBC? I used to have problems with it, but got used to the thing and its been great. Im also running about 19lbs daily over here on the stock twins. 140k miles :bigthumb:

Alex
You betcha :D
When I bought the car it came with a DSBC Spec-R, but for the life of me, I couldn't figure it out either. No matter what I set it at, I'd always boost 11psi. I thought it was broken, until I pulled the dash apart to find no one ever ran a vacuum/boost line to the back of the unit :lol: Long story short...I love it.

·
iSketch Master!
9,044 Posts
lol whoops. Mine would boost to all hell no matter what settings i put it at i couldnt figure it out. Damn car would do no less than 1.4bar for the longest time. I finally figured out it had a little to do with a high gain causing the limiter function to be almost useless. :lol: and some of the hoses used for connection were kinda fubar'd. So everything is ok now, and i have finally memorized HOW to change the settings, amd what they actually do.

Alex

1 - 20 of 22 Posts